Future home heating

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: Future home heating

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:45 pm Jansman - "Come the future,society will need to look at what is important. All this eco stuff, the economy, climate and so forth, are coming together to make one big bang! Life now seems very complex,and it’s relatively recent too."
I'd add to that the fact that nobody ( as in govts of the world) knows how to deal with it or where to go next. And I'm sure most of it will be stuffed as usual under the rug and we will all roll merrily onwards. So even prepping for it is dodgy because at any time, the rug can and probly will be pulled out from under us.
Buy more cake. And gin. It's bound to help! :mrgreen:
I’ll go with the cake and gin,for sure.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Not enough power lines may be an issue when we all smile,hug each other and go ‘Green’ and save the world… :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ts-on-grid

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:12 am Not enough power lines may be an issue when we all smile,hug each other and go ‘Green’ and save the world… :lol:

Our grid which we built, and used to own, was sold. It is now owned by the French state. Yes, there are many delays (often several years) in connecting new electricity generation (eg wind farms) to the grid.

We are now in a battle for survival. Iran ordered a two day national holiday on Tuesday for health reasons, due to extreme heat. Businesses will be losing money. No one is hugging each other or smiling.

Other factors:
Uk energy security. Wind turbine in our waters, or fossil fuels from far way, and maybe wars over them. And they are running out. 50 years left globally.
Prices. Wind energy is CHEAP Not as cheap as gas for heating, but gas price has been very volatile in recent years, and renewable electricity would be cheaper than FF electricity if it was de-coupled.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:56 am
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:12 am Not enough power lines may be an issue when we all smile,hug each other and go ‘Green’ and save the world… :lol:

Our grid which we built, and used to own, was sold. It is now owned by the French state. Yes, there are many delays (often several years) in connecting new electricity generation (eg wind farms) to the grid.

We are now in a battle for survival. Iran ordered a two day national holiday on Tuesday for health reasons, due to extreme heat. Businesses will be losing money. No one is hugging each other or smiling.

Other factors:
Uk energy security. Wind turbine in our waters, or fossil fuels from far way, and maybe wars over them. And they are running out. 50 years left globally.
Prices. Wind energy is CHEAP Not as cheap as gas for heating, but gas price has been very volatile in recent years, and renewable electricity would be cheaper than FF electricity if it was de-coupled.
So is everyone looking forward now to leccy only? :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

One thing I find amusing in a perverse sort of way are some of the comments about capacity. I've seen the same comments on social media where people will say "we haven't got the capacity /where's all the power going to come from for all these EV's and heat pumps" . But a comment I don't hear is where's the capacity for all the air conditioning because globally 20% , or a fifth if you like , of all electric consumed in buildings is used for aircon. I suppose a lot of that is architects designing high rise offices that are glorified greenhouses but I was surprised to hear that it's such a high figure and could surely be reduced.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:53 am

Other factors:
Last summer, electricity generated by gas was costing 5 x more than electricity generated by offshore wind. But because of our pricing structure, we paid the same rate. The cost of electricity was driven up by the cost of gas, even if you were on a 100% renewable or nuclear electricity contract. It needs to be de-coupled.

The cost of heating a house is still cheaper using gas. However the balance last year would have shifted if electricity was decoupled. If it was decoupled, and gas price went up again, electric heating might be cheaper.

Part of the solution is:

1. A lot more renewable energy is in the pipeline, especially huge amounts of offshore wind. We won't need as much, if any, gas for electricity generation, and renewables electricity should get cheaper relative to electricity generated by gas (in fact it already is).
2. De-coupling.
3. INSULATION. This is not really feasible for individuals who have old houses, as the wallls need doing. They need help. It needs expert knowledge and logistics. Needs action on a national or at least local council scale, like the old council refurb grants. They did a street at a time.
4. Heat pumps need to be affordable. Again, this needs action on a national scale. People who can't use heat pumps could use electric radiators like the one I have. It costs me about 20p for 5 hours, heating my room to 19.4° in winter. At current SV rates it would be about 30p I think. If prices were de-coupled it would be cheaper. Although maybe not for me personally as EDF is all nuclear. I did not choose them, my contract was with Green Network Energy.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:13 am One thing I find amusing in a perverse sort of way are some of the comments about capacity. I've seen the same comments on social media where people will say "we haven't got the capacity /where's all the power going to come from for all these EV's and heat pumps" . But a comment I don't hear is where's the capacity for all the air conditioning because globally 20% , or a fifth if you like , of all electric consumed in buildings is used for aircon. I suppose a lot of that is architects designing high rise offices that are glorified greenhouses but I was surprised to hear that it's such a high figure and could surely be reduced.
Ironic also because people around the world are cranking it up to combat rising heat, and in doing so they are contributing to the rising heat! However billions of people don't have that luxury, and many work outdoors. Very soon, one billion will be needing to migrate to places habitable for humans.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:21 am
grenfell wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:13 am One thing I find amusing in a perverse sort of way are some of the comments about capacity. I've seen the same comments on social media where people will say "we haven't got the capacity /where's all the power going to come from for all these EV's and heat pumps" . But a comment I don't hear is where's the capacity for all the air conditioning because globally 20% , or a fifth if you like , of all electric consumed in buildings is used for aircon. I suppose a lot of that is architects designing high rise offices that are glorified greenhouses but I was surprised to hear that it's such a high figure and could surely be reduced.
Ironic also because people around the world are cranking it up to combat rising heat, and in doing so they are contributing to the rising heat! However billions of people don't have that luxury, and many work outdoors. Very soon, one billion will be needing to migrate to places habitable for humans.
Spot on.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 am
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:53 am

Other factors:
Last summer, electricity generated by gas was costing 5 x more than electricity generated by offshore wind. But because of our pricing structure, we paid the same rate. The cost of electricity was driven up by the cost of gas, even if you were on a 100% renewable or nuclear electricity contract. It needs to be de-coupled.

The cost of heating a house is still cheaper using gas. However the balance last year would have shifted if electricity was decoupled. If it was decoupled, and gas price went up again, electric heating might be cheaper.

Part of the solution is:

1. A lot more renewable energy is in the pipeline, especially huge amounts of offshore wind. We won't need as much, if any, gas for electricity generation, and renewables electricity should get cheaper relative to electricity generated by gas (in fact it already is).
2. De-coupling.
3. INSULATION. This is not really feasible for individuals who have old houses, as the wallls need doing. They need help. It needs expert knowledge and logistics. Needs action on a national or at least local council scale, like the old council refurb grants. They did a street at a time.
4. Heat pumps need to be affordable. Again, this needs action on a national scale. People who can't use heat pumps could use electric radiators like the one I have. It costs me about 20p for 5 hours, heating my room to 19.4° in winter. At current SV rates it would be about 30p I think. If prices were de-coupled it would be cheaper. Although maybe not for me personally as EDF is all nuclear. I did not choose them, my contract was with Green Network Energy.
The thread is about the future, not right now. The price now is the price now.

The plan, as originally stated , is to move to electric. Nothing else.

Thoughts everyone please. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the loss of gas and reliance shifting to electric..

Have a read of this

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/181117 ... y-osgodby/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine