Van Life

Homes and Retreats
pseudonym

Re: Van Life

Post by pseudonym »

Tell work to post all mail to your place of work.... :roll: :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Trig.Point

Post by Trig.Point »

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Trig.Point wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:25 pm This is what I aspire to...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8
I takes work. You have to do the work. I imagine you'd have to eat thousands of doughnuts and drink gallons of strong coffee. Also it looks like he develped his posture via some special method. Or maybe it comes with living in a van down by the river.
serendipity22

Post by serendipity22 »

The suggestion of house sitting sounds good especially if you can park/live in the grounds in your van. The half way house suggestion would be to find a van/caravan community on a private campsite. We've a van and while travelling we've come across some interesting permanent caravan/van static communities. As some posters have said already security is the real issue and we have noticed an increasingly negative attitude towards motorhomes/vans in general on our travels. A small community of van/caravan dwellers in a safe environment sounds to me a positive way forward. You'd have people looking out for you if needed and the bonus of being able to meet some incredibly interesting individuals if you wanted to.
The freedom to do your own thing is becoming increasingly hard in the UK and I doubt it will get any better. More restrictions being placed on us is the norm now and van life can be seen as a threat to the normies.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

serendipity22 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:19 pm The suggestion of house sitting sounds good especially if you can park/live in the grounds in your van. The half way house suggestion would be to find a van/caravan community on a private campsite. We've a van and while travelling we've come across some interesting permanent caravan/van static communities. As some posters have said already security is the real issue and we have noticed an increasingly negative attitude towards motorhomes/vans in general on our travels. A small community of van/caravan dwellers in a safe environment sounds to me a positive way forward. You'd have people looking out for you if needed and the bonus of being able to meet some incredibly interesting individuals if you wanted to.
The freedom to do your own thing is becoming increasingly hard in the UK and I doubt it will get any better. More restrictions being placed on us is the norm now and van life can be seen as a threat to the normies.
I was reading about some communities like that in America. I can't remember that much. The one I was reading about seemed to be subdivided into niche communities. Also it had tourists visiting. A lot of the residents were retired. And most only stayed there during the winter. Not sure what they do the rest of the year - travel?
I've also seen footage of long lines of camper vans parked along the side of a road somewhere, I think in America. Not sure how long they stayed there.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I am toying with this idea with a lot of exclusions:
1. Want Tesla Y because it is relatively large vehicle, has full climate control, large screen to use as secondary monitor. And I like the option to power my house from the car - I have Tesla PowerWall 2 and solar panels, I would think I wouldn’t need external supply if I had Tesla car too. However, I want to wait until model Y gets an upgrade
2. Top quality sleeping arrangements like Dreamcase to feel fresh in the morning
3. I already have cooking stove, electric kettle for car, AirPress for the morning coffee and cooler that keeps things cold for 4 days. However, I do not think I would cook a lot - I had long student life and then worked on sites without much need to cook, simply take containers with food and warm up in a microwave, will need a transformer for a microwave though. I once lived 12 months in a student dormitory where I could cook only in a microwave, so I know it will work. And I like M&S ready meals - not cheap, but cheaper than a restaurant
4. Not permanently because I have family. However, for example, this Sunday I am going out for a hunt, meeting guide at 6:30AM, but the meet up time is around 4:00AM in summer; will go fishing one of the Sundays, going to sea at around 7:00 AM, but will take me 2.5 hours drive, sleeping in a car would be a better option. Then I currently give a pass to contracts in London because they want me to be on site 2-3 times a week and the travel to and from site will be around extra 4 hours a day, a car would solve this problem. Washing - I have David Lloyd membership, use its office facilities for business too
Think it will work - in the past I worked on client sites 4-5 days a week staying in hotels, I eventually stopped caring whether it is Hilton or something cheaper as I get to my room only to sleep, the rest of my time I spent either with my team on in a gym (and would go to DL as they are better than any hotel’s gym). And it no longer matters to me if I sleep on a narrower bed in a car or in a fancy building. Yes, going to toilet during the night will be a different experience, but still manageable