Fire danger...

Logistics and Transport
GeeGee

Re: Fire danger...

Post by GeeGee »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:48 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:44 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:31 pm

They are a good idea, but the vast majority have zero license and insurance, which is required I believe, and where they are allowed. I wouldn’t want to get clobbered by one, and no insurance!
For e-Bikes you don't need either of insurance or licence. But to be legal, they can't be power assisted beyond 15.5 MPH
For e-Scooters, they are simply illegal to use on public highways or pavements except in certain trial areas. They would require both licence and insurance, but being illegal, then no such insurance is available.
I’ll stand corrected,of course. Mind you,viewing the Village and Leicester particularly,they do have a tendency to be ‘driven’ by idiots.
Two lads on a e scooter went flying past house last night..theres a pretty nasty sharp bend just past mine..they were in middle of road ..heard the smash .. side of car a mess ..lads did one ..I suppose driver is left with cost ..he was absolutely livid ..
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

With the unofficial war on motorists in full swing I can only see these ebikes and scooters becoming ever more popular.
What government has to do now is to make sure these thimgs are built to a british/European standard ,some sort of test like the cycling proficiency test and insurance.
These things do have a place in society just done properly.
Fill er up jacko...
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Government info on subject.
Fill er up jacko...
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Went out early this morning traffic awful I was walking fortunately
Old chap on his mobility scooter at the double roundabout with a zebra crossing just below for the school ..waiting to turn right in the middle of the road :) it was chaos
Double decker school bus wagons cars the lot all tailed back forever
No idea how long they'd followed the old chap ...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I'm not convinced about e bikes for preppers. My bike is heavy enough with 2 racks, lock etc. I couldn't lift it over a high gate. I can get it up 2 steps into my kitchen, and I've lifted it over low stiles and areas of broken glass. Maybe I need to pump some weights.

But lithium batteries, yeah, a fire risk. I keep my powerbanks in a metal US army ammo box on a tiled floor. You take the seal out to stop pressure buildup. Inside they are in lipo bags. I have 2 spare lipo batteries in there. But my radio is just in the prep room. That has two in it. My torch has one. That is next to my bed. The radio ones I could take out.
deckard

Post by deckard »

A common configuration for li ion batteries is many segments made up of cells in parallel. You often see big thick battery bars used in those segments and the issue is when one cell fails it shorts the lot of them. Better packs use a fuse wire for connection to one of the rails; of a cell shorts it simply becomes eliminated from the segment and everything keeps on running with one cells capacity down.