Anyone hunting or fishing these days?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Allex

Re: Anyone hunting or fishing these days?

Post by Allex »

I shot an Elk a while back. Lasted 4 months! Can recommend it. Anyone into road kill (It's a dangerous sport!)?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Allex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:40 pm I shot an Elk a while back. Lasted 4 months! Can recommend it. Anyone into road kill (It's a dangerous sport!)?
We don’t have Elk in the UK .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

It's worth remembering the rules for removing fish from UK rivers.
You are allowed, in a single session to remove up to 14 coarse fish (game rules are slightly different) including 1 pike.
Pike can be eaten, as can perch, it's said bream tend to taste "muddy" whatever that means ?
I've caught small brown trout on worms, during the coarse season, topped n tailed and gutted, they make a reasonable meal, eels likewise but they're not my thing.

I won't eat river carp, I consider river carp a sport fish and lb for lb worth 3-4 times any lake caught carp.

Any fish you want to take home, put in a long spread out keepnet during the session n don't bag em till your packing up the car, to go home.
Top and tail and gut them as soon as you get home and freeze. Brown trout stuffed are lovely !
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Oh by the way, if you live in a coastal area and have access to a estuary, sea bass can be had ! And they are tasty.
jansman

Post by jansman »

There are rules over eels as it’s a rare fish now. There are only 900 licensed fishermen allowed at commercial level. Also on still waters particularly you need permission to take fish.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We're on the Tweed. Try fishing anywhere without a very expensive permit and yur in big trouble. More bailiffs down there than midges :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:36 pm We're on the Tweed. Try fishing anywhere without a very expensive permit and yur in big trouble. More bailiffs down there than midges :mrgreen:
It’s a big deal on local trout fisheries here too lil.

Robert Frost.

Me.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Shot a nice fallow the other day and picked up a road kill Roe, well it was dead after I dealt with it so now half filled my big freezer
On the last shoot of the season took 12 Pheasants which nobody else wanted dressed them all and they also reside in the freezer and any pigeon who lands in my garden also ends up there as well.
Looking at getting permission from the allotment society to knock over some of the rabbits(airgun)
Haven't been fishing much as everywhere is so wet and flooded.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea