Soup!

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Soup!

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Re: Soup!

Post by jennyjj01 »

I'll go off on one of my soup-sperimentation adventures soon. Future recipes will be crockpot sized at 4 or more portions per batch.
I did find value in cooking the soup to a thick concentrate which I froze as slabs of concentrate in freezer bags.

For now, I'll just link to a couple of my successes...

Mush-rouxm soup
https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/vie ... up#p225663

and an almost free broth
https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/vie ... 64#p222164

And lest we forget. Bone broth BirdsNest Soup
https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/vie ... st#p222523
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Curried parsnip soup is popular chez Gillybee. My recipe is not written down and varies a bit according to what herbs and spices I have but this link has one that is amost identical. We tend to use butter rather than olive oi but either would work.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here’s a nice and simple tomato and bean soup. Made some at lunchtime when I got back from fishing. https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/03 ... -soup-15p/

Don’t know as the price there is correct,but it’s still cheap - and tasty!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here’s a simple one. Not so much a soup as a stew. We had a big family visit a few nights back,and food was delayed. So… nice and easy. A tin of stewing steak,tin of mince and onion,tin of potatoes,tin of mixed veg,tin of carrots,tin of peas. Warm it up. Served with bread and it did the job! In the past I have chucked in a tin of haricot or butter beans,but that was sufficient.

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I suppose if you'd put it in a blender it would have been more soup like. To me at least that's the only real difference , the size of the bits making it up , stews are " thicker" for want of a better term. My wife made some vegetable soup not long ago and her sister complained it wasn't smooth enough . It was still possible to eat without chewing but her sister will moan about anything...
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:18 am I suppose if you'd put it in a blender it would have been more soup like. To me at least that's the only real difference , the size of the bits making it up , stews are " thicker" for want of a better term. My wife made some vegetable soup not long ago and her sister complained it wasn't smooth enough . It was still possible to eat without chewing but her sister will moan about anything...
All a question of taste isn’t it? :lol: And we all have a relative like yours!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:22 am
grenfell wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:18 am I suppose if you'd put it in a blender it would have been more soup like. To me at least that's the only real difference , the size of the bits making it up , stews are " thicker" for want of a better term. My wife made some vegetable soup not long ago and her sister complained it wasn't smooth enough . It was still possible to eat without chewing but her sister will moan about anything...
I've blended soups and potages in the past. But personally, if I wanted baby food, I'd buy baby food.
Where I'm from, stew is called Lobby. "Poorly Paid Potter's food" :lol:
Sunday Roast beef joint.
Monday Dripping on toast
Tuesday Beef butties
Wednesday Beef lobby
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:50 am
jansman wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:22 am
I've blended soups and potages in the past. But personally, if I wanted baby food, I'd buy baby food.
Where I'm from, stew is called Lobby. "Poor Potter's food" :lol:
Corned dog is another good ingredient too. Interesting link. Thanks.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

For me stew evokes the taste of swede. My mum used to feed 6 of us with one can of stewing steak, one can of tomatoes and half a pressure cooker full of leeks, spuds, swede, carrots etc. All topped off with dumplings.
Soup meanwhile may have smaller solids or be pureed but should be possible to drink from a mug.
The main family recipe for soup also involved the above mentioned pressure cooker, the carcass of a chicken was pressure cooked to oblivion along with a chopped onion and a stock cube for chicken soup.