Frugal Living

For all things financial
jansman

Re: Frugal Living

Post by jansman »

Top tip for open packs of dried food like pasta and rice. Use sealed plastic‘Tupperware’ containers. Simple,effective and pest proof.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

After a recent minor throat op went horribly wrong, I'm currently discovering the Joy of Soup. And I even found proper old-fashioned blancmange on amazon :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:12 pm After a recent minor throat op went horribly wrong, I'm currently discovering the Joy of Soup. And I even found proper old-fashioned blancmange on amazon :mrgreen:
Jans favourite is soup. And Angel Delight too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Heinz lentil soup is nice but it has too much salt and got very expensive so I don't get it often these days. I like mushroom soup too. Not had any for ages, got the urge now, will put it on my list! I'll try to find some cheap at Aldi.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Added loads to my calorie app so I get most of my cauliflower used up over the next week or so. I microwave it with a bit of water for 3.5 minutes. They I give it a blast in the mini oven with my Quorn (which is also microwaved for a bit first. The oven bit isn't saving £, but it crisps everything up.
I make a low salt gravy using corn starch plus Knorr Zero, low salt granules etc.
Plate gets heated in microwave say on top of a bowl of peas and sweetcorn (for half their cooking time).
Total is about 8.5 minutes microwave, 4 or 5 mins mini oven, small bit of kettle to boil enough for gravy. No gas, no main oven.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:50 pm Heinz lentil soup is nice but it has too much salt and got very expensive so I don't get it often these days. I like mushroom soup too. Not had any for ages, got the urge now, will put it on my list! I'll try to find some cheap at Aldi.
Lentil soup is one of the easiest and cheapest to make. Great with a bit of crusty bread.

Add a bit of bacon or spam and a few bits of dehydrated pepper and onions. It's a blank canvas.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/red_ ... acon_27157
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I make a lot of soup. All kinds. Fav is Bottom of the Fridge variety :mrgreen:
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Just used my local c.a.b. when they found out I was on benefits they gave me a voucher fo£150 for aldi.
Don't know if I have to spend it all at once but even if I do ....
Also age concern are going to be in contact regarding £100 grant.

Lovely jubbly

If your on benefits they consider state pension that pop along you never know your luck.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:14 pm I make a lot of soup. All kinds. Fav is Bottom of the Fridge variety :mrgreen:
Serious suggestion........ Can we have a frugal soups recipe thread? I'd so like to know how to use my crockpot more to make soups, especially from dehydrated or yellow label veg.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:44 pm
diamond lil wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:14 pm I make a lot of soup. All kinds. Fav is Bottom of the Fridge variety :mrgreen:
Serious suggestion........ Can we have a frugal soups recipe thread? I'd so like to know how to use my crockpot more to make soups, especially from dehydrated or yellow label veg.
Do it! Use the recipes section. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.