Questions about what folks think on the Comm's side of things

TheOldHObbit

Re: Questions about what folks think on the Comm's side of things

Post by TheOldHObbit »

As a radio op in the military, CB after I left and now an M6 licence holder, all my comms is structured for qrp/p self contained. I can build a resonant antenna out of a couple of pieces of wire or other junk laying about, but power and looking after your transceiver is paramount. A couple of cheap chingling handies will allow you comms for short range, depending on your surroundings and condiions. Forget allocated frequencies, in a SHTF scenario all frequencies are fair game. On HF there are a couple of radios I would recommend, FT817/8 or a FT 857, both these radios are multi mode and are known as "Shacks in a box" because they cover most bands and modes.

My goto radio is my prized PRC 320 which I have had for a number of years and is a solid reliable radio, they only issue is power enough to charge the batteries. Please take comms seriously, everyone will come to rely on them when the networks go down.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

TheOldHObbit wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:49 pm A couple of cheap chingling handies will allow you comms for short range, depending on your surroundings and conditions.
Chinese handsets? There;s some rubbish PTTs out there that are not fit for any purpose. Better to get something with a reputation, such as baofengs.
Forget allocated frequencies, in a SHTF scenario all frequencies are fair game.Please take comms seriously, everyone will come to rely on them when the networks go down.
Transmit on frequencies where your desired recipient is listening.... And where the other guy isn't. Using channels with some sort of discipline is common sense... E.g not abusing calling channels and repeater channels. Isn't that part of taking it seriously?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Appin

Post by Appin »

Sorry for lousy reply.

I am an M0 licence holder and RAYNET member. Quiet as I am in hospital due to cancer. Plus covid

Appin
jansman

Post by jansman »

Appin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:10 pm Sorry for lousy reply.

I am an M0 licence holder and RAYNET member. Quiet as I am in hospital due to cancer. Plus covid

Appin
Stay peaceful.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Appin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:10 pm Sorry for lousy reply.

Appin
So sorry to hear this, Appin. I really hope that the medical intervention works well on both illnesses.
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:54 pm
TheOldHObbit wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:49 pm A couple of cheap chingling handies will allow you comms for short range, depending on your surroundings and conditions.
Chinese handsets? There;s some rubbish PTTs out there that are not fit for any purpose. Better to get something with a reputation, such as baofengs.
Forget allocated frequencies, in a SHTF scenario all frequencies are fair game.Please take comms seriously, everyone will come to rely on them when the networks go down.
Transmit on frequencies where your desired recipient is listening.... And where the other guy isn't. Using channels with some sort of discipline is common sense... E.g not abusing calling channels and repeater channels. Isn't that part of taking it seriously?
You are absolutely right, radio's such as Baofeng are pretty reliable and useful, but as I said, chingling handies, Baofeng are Chinese.

Repeaters and allocated areas of the bands will not be adhered too in a SHTF scenario. Again, you are right, use frequencies that you have prepared in advance making sure these are changed regularly and only those you want to keep in contact with have the same comms plan. Repeater etc will be used in the first couple of days, but once the power goes down, their stand by batteries will soon run out and they will become useless. I have a couple of repeater boxes made up with a solar feed, and although will have some difficulty, they will work if given the chance to recharge. Be safe out there.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Was a day when the big player Radios were designed built with parts also made in japan. This isn't always the case now as big jap companies still producing use parts made elsewhere too., production lines in different countries then maybe and if returned to Japan for quality checks.

Roc have also produced awesome radios as have Philippines . Now the baofeng is price of a toy yet does often same as big names costing hundreds more. Yes theirs faults yes theirs spurious noise 2 nd 3 rd harmonics but they work and do the job well.Some even suggest better.

If you can cover all bases you can afford comfortably. Baofeng uv5 tri band is a good start. C.b radio multi norm another , cheap used radio.
Ssb export 10/11 mtr radio another.
If you have the funds ham radio but isn't essential.

Learn how to use even basic radios, get those that can be expanded wider band done.
But the bits n bobs like AA battery cases from china cheap whilst you can.experiment practice now.

My guess if shtf coms go down and not from emp many frequencies will be alive many full like c.b .pmr .
Their is no 1 right way not all suits everyone due to cost user complexity blah blah..