EV’s the best post shtf vehicle?

Logistics and Transport
Frnc

Re: EV’s the best post shtf vehicle?

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:31 am Location could play a part in this too. Realistically a bike will give about a 20 radius of travel from home. That's assuming a 20 mile ride out , time at wherever you're going to do what you went for and then the ride back in the space of a day. In the winter with shorter days and potentially bad weather , or carrying a heavy load that could be a smaller radius of course. Walking would be similar but with shorter distances. Both would be slower that a vehicle but we are talking some sort of economic crash here and we need to ask just where one would need to go barring an evacuation. If your needs can be met in that 20 mile radius do you really need to go further. There's also the grey man approach to consider too. If everyone else is staring at the ton of unusable metal on the drive seeing someone swanning about in a car is likely to cause resentment.
40 miles is a lot for the average person. You'd have to be fit and do a fair bit of cycling to do that.

You could extend your radius by staying out overnight, but then you have to carry more gear, which limits how much you can bring back..
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:04 am
grenfell wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:31 am Location could play a part in this too. Realistically a bike will give about a 20 radius of travel from home. That's assuming a 20 mile ride out , time at wherever you're going to do what you went for and then the ride back in the space of a day. In the winter with shorter days and potentially bad weather , or carrying a heavy load that could be a smaller radius of course. Walking would be similar but with shorter distances. Both would be slower that a vehicle but we are talking some sort of economic crash here and we need to ask just where one would need to go barring an evacuation. If your needs can be met in that 20 mile radius do you really need to go further. There's also the grey man approach to consider too. If everyone else is staring at the ton of unusable metal on the drive seeing someone swanning about in a car is likely to cause resentment.
40 miles is a lot for the average person. You'd have to be fit and do a fair bit of cycling to do that.

You could extend your radius by staying out overnight, but then you have to carry more gear, which limits how much you can bring back..
Fitness is fitness. You are or you ain’t. Up until being ill a ten mile ride was fine for me. Ten years ago + I was in a road club,and a hundred mile ride was normal before dinner! My commute was 22 miles a day too.

But it’s nothing to worry about. A bike to ride to the next village,or across town is perfect and you don’t have to be Mark Cavendish or Laura Trott! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If they ever legalise those e scooters Im having one :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I asked my mechanic whether I should be thinking about buying an EV and he just laughed. That solved that then. Petrochemicals for the win! :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:28 pm I asked my mechanic whether I should be thinking about buying an EV and he just laughed. That solved that then. Petrochemicals for the win! :lol:
Our local mechanics were not over thrilled either when my wife asked about them. We have nowhere to charge one as it is anyway.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:30 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:28 pm I asked my mechanic whether I should be thinking about buying an EV and he just laughed. That solved that then. Petrochemicals for the win! :lol:
Our local mechanics were not over thrilled either when my wife asked about them. We have nowhere to charge one as it is anyway.
Same. And he also said that the technology was nowhere near where is should be for him to feel confident in recommending one to any of his customers.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

To be honest I was almost expecting the opposite answer :D that 20 miles is a bit on the shy side. Perhaps I should have put "realistic maximum for a decently fit person" . Perhaps a ten mile radius would be a more realistic distance. The real reason is just why we feel we have to travel about so much. If we prep accordingly for the most part we can stay put and travel should be a rarity .
I still think a solar or wind array to charge an EV in the here and now has some merit and is probably worth further investigation.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:42 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:30 pm
Same. And he also said that the technology was nowhere near where is should be for him to feel confident in recommending one to any of his customers.
Call me mr Cynical but an EV requires less servicing and maintenance , especially from someone trained on internal combustion engines. Mr mechanic isn't going to advise someone to get a car he's unlikely to work on.
In a similar vein let's try asking the MD of tesco who has the best products tesco or aldi...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:42 pm

To be honest I was almost expecting the opposite answer :D that 20 miles is a bit on the shy side. Perhaps I should have put "realistic maximum for a decently fit person" . Perhaps a ten mile radius would be a more realistic distance. The real reason is just why we feel we have to travel about so much. If we prep accordingly for the most part we can stay put and travel should be a rarity .
I still think a solar or wind array to charge an EV in the here and now has some merit and is probably worth further investigation.
There's a huge difference between a keen cyclist who rides every week in a club, and someone who just has a bike. The former can do 100 miles, the latter might struggle to do more than 10. When I got my bike, I got terrible pain in my backside, numb crotch, and numb hands (from trapped nerve not cold). I can do 3 hours now, still get a bit of backside pain and numb hands. I ended up with a noseless saddle. I lost 3 stone but my bike with pannier, tools, lock etc is gonna be quite a bit heavier than a road bike, and I'm sitting almost upright. That's partly because of the numb hands issue.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

In the price control thread there was talk of people having less to eat and walking more ( in Cuba) and consequently losing weight . In this we are talking about how far a fit person verses an unfit person can cycle. Perhaps if these events were to happen it wouldn't be all bad , we'd be , as a nation , fitter and slimmer as people really wouldn't have much choice...