Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Vitamin c

Homemade weed killer

Post by Vitamin c »

Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Re: Homemade weed killer

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm https://www.homesandgardens.com/gardens ... eed-killer

How to make homemade weed killer.
Thanks. Only really kills the topgrowth, though. Not the roots and so not perennials.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I'm no gardener but when I came across this I just had to share.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:35 pm I'm no gardener but when I came across this I just had to share.
And I thank you. It does have it's place in our armoury. It's just limited in killing the roots of some of our worst weeds, which, to be fair, even the best weedkillers struggle with.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s a nice simple one that. Reckon I’ll use some. Thanks. I have to be careful where I spray,cos of the cats and dog. This should do the job. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

When i had a damp issue in a trailer I used some of the disposable dehumidifiers , they are a plastic box with a layer of something on top. Water collects in the bottom. I'd read somewhere that the water is toxic and works as a weedkiller so I tried it out on some weeds on the patio and it does work. Downside is that I've no idea what's actually in it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:12 am When i had a damp issue in a trailer I used some of the disposable dehumidifiers , they are a plastic box with a layer of something on top. Water collects in the bottom. I'd read somewhere that the water is toxic and works as a weedkiller so I tried it out on some weeds on the patio and it does work. Downside is that I've no idea what's actually in it.
I’ve done the same- and you are right - it’s a mystery poison!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

grenfell wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:12 am ...the disposable dehumidifiers ...Water collects in the bottom. I'd read somewhere that the water is toxic and works as a weedkiller so I tried it out on some weeds on the patio and it does work. Downside is that I've no idea what's actually in it.
It's mostly lye. It should kill everything except dandelions, unless you drown them, as they can survive quite high pHs.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Cocotte wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am It's mostly lye. It should kill everything except dandelions, unless you drown them, as they can survive quite high pHs.
Is that the stuff you can mix with oil to make soap? Might it be a cheap source of lye if those dehumidifiers are cheap?

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:13 pm
Cocotte wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am It's mostly lye. It should kill everything except dandelions, unless you drown them, as they can survive quite high pHs.
Is that the stuff you can mix with oil to make soap? Might it be a cheap source of lye if those dehumidifiers are cheap?
I wouldn’t fancy it. I buy a 5kg bag each Autumn to keep the Summerhouse dry. The warning is that the liquid as a result is toxic. I obey those rules. Must be too used to sensible health and safety! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.