So i want to bury a shipping container

Homes and Retreats
Baloo

Re: So i want to bury a shipping container

Post by Baloo »

or i could just forget about being underground at all and biuld a bunker at the back end of the leanto ( as someone suggested earlier ) still pour the walls ceiling, bank vault type door (s) , make them super thick and then stack hay bales around it making look just like a hay stack
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:14 am
jansman wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:45 am
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:10 am I guess it's all a guess, what type of bomb/accident. How far away etc etc
I see radiation as the least likely scenario
I'm expecting asteroid or COVID 20/21 first
But who knows
In my family/ work experiences,COVID hit us before we realised… so trying to hide underground from it wouldn’t make much difference…just sayin’.
Hope your head isn't glowing Jansman ..I imagine in there its like the ready break kid ..seriously hope the radiation is doing what it needs to do ...
I know someone who still has the old air raid shelter in garden and they've kept it maintained ..I've been in ..
I know 100% i couldn't live underground cramped and stressed for possibly decades
And the family who have it will probably do each other in if stuck in there ..it would just end up a tomb ..they dont get on now ...
Takes a certain person with all of the things they need in place to do this ..im not sure how possible it is unless you have unlimited amounts of money to sustain everything
The Ready Brek Kid :lol: :lol: that’ll do,
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Peter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 pm
Baloo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:15 pm
.........and talking of radiation 99% of radiation decays away after 48 hours so your stay in a bunker might not be that long
( if what i read is correct )
With radiation from fallout follow the seven/ten rule.

Using the roentgen as the unit of radiation absorbed, 400R is fatal to 50% of the population, 600R is 100% fatal.

Initial level 100% maybe 2000R/hr, maybe 5000R/hr, no one knows.

After 7 hours 10%, 200R/hr ?, 500R/hr ?.

After 48 hours 1%, still 20R/hr or 50R/hr. you might be able to leave your shelter for a few minutes only, dispose of outdo

After 14 days 0.1% 2R/hr or 5R/hr. You would be able to leave your shelter for a little longer
Surely it depends on where the incident occurred and the wind direction. If you are at the other end of the country and the pravailing wind is right, you will have a much lower level than if you are a couple of miles down wind. Obviously wind direction can change a lot.
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Yep. Until something happens non of us know what when or where, all we can do is our best guess
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am is concrete water proof ? or can it be made waterproof,
it also means i have to have pumped sewage as its got to go up hill, so much to think about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No it's not. Yes it can.
Tons of info here.
https://www.yourownarchitect.com/is-con ... aterproof/
Last edited by Frnc on Fri May 05, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:00 am or i could just forget about being underground at all and biuld a bunker at the back end of the leanto ( as someone suggested earlier ) still pour the walls ceiling, bank vault type door (s) , make them super thick and then stack hay bales around it making look just like a hay stack
You mean with the roof flush with ground level?

Regarding site, you need to figure out where the water table is and where water flows after rain. The lower you start, and the lower you dig, the more chance of water. Obviously buildings are generally at least 6 " off the ground. apart from cellars. My cellar is pretty dry, but I could be lucky.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am im going to throw a curved ball in here

i have this 5th wheel trailer that i live in during the nice sunny months, its great
You've got all the best toys!

Hitting the curve ball back at you...... Post SHTF, wouldn't legging in your RV, to somewhere remote, be a half decent option, better than hiding in your bunker, to be parked up in remote parts of Wales?

I visualise your coppice as being like Tracey Island from Thunderbirds :) [Theme music] 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..... Shutter opens up in the ground and an RV zooms out flanked by matching JCBs.[/theme music]
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:25 am
grenfell wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:15 am Baloo , interested to hear how you intend to incorperate the septic tank with the container . Presumably buried alongside and plumbed in ?
its all about location location location, i was lucky in the first place in that im located on top of a hill and i further enhanced that when i had to cut out a section of the hillside for the concrete pad for my barn, i built up the top of the hill in a manor that benifited me with all the spoil that cam out
heres a simple sketch not to scale but the bunker although underground is higher that the surrounding area, french drains should take any ground water away and there is enough elevation change for the cesspit to work in a conventional manor no pumps or power required

i will put in a ft of gravel first for drainage then a 12" concrete pad that needs to ramp down in the centre section which will be fine for the container as they only sit on the corners

cesspit can be any distance i choose down hill to give the correct gradient , probably in a very think clump of brambles to help disguise it but near enough to the access road that it can be pumped out if needed
Ah I see . Looking back I didn't quite read your post correctly. I see now that you said about using it as a cesspit . I'd somehow read the bit about showering and had it in my mind it'd be going end up , attached to the bunker , to be used as a showering "room" . I don't think I'd worry too much about trying to hide it as such. I'd consider putting a toilet in the workshop , convenient for the here and now and "camouflaging in plain sight" should you ever need to use the bunker...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

With regards to the green staining on the trailer. It's purely for transport but a little while ago I brought a twin axle box trailer. It was of course white , or rather a bit grubby white , and really was a big ugly obvious white box that tended to get dirty when not used during the winter. . I camouflage painted it , two shades of green and some black. Now it's a much less obvious ugly green box and I don't really notice any staining.
To be honest I always think that caravans shouldn't be painted white. Getting away to the beauty of the countryside only to cover it in white boxes . Much less obtrusive if they were dull green or grey but that's a different argument...
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Frnc wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:31 pm
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am is concrete water proof ? or can it be made waterproof,
it also means i have to have pumped sewage as its got to go up hill, so much to think about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No it's not. Yes it can.
Tons of info here.
https://www.yourownarchitect.com/is-con ... aterproof/

thank you some bed time reading here :)