Mental Health for prepping.

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Mental Health for prepping.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Think you'll find they are wool socks Arzosah proper menuro wool they help keep my toes warm at work they do ;) cotton socks don't do that my toes freeze to death and my boots fit better with thick socks :twisted: :mrgreen:

Must admit I was very skeptical about many mental problems when I was young probably as I wasn't exposed to any .... Then I witnessed my mum and sister been hit by a car ... For a few days the flash backs were very vivid and real... Fortunately no major injuries and the flashbacks just seemed to stop ..

Since then I've dealt with a very depressed wife which I won't go into here but with lots of tlc and listening and some outside intervention she's much better these days.

Throw into the mix an alcoholic brother in law think we just about have a full case load :lol:

And my cousin is for a few more weeks on a crisis team... He's had enough and Is going for pastures new over worked under appreciated and well they get blamed if anything goes wrong despite having a pile of cases he will never get to the bottom of
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:38 pm Think you'll find they are wool socks Arzosah proper menuro wool they help keep my toes warm at work they do ;) cotton socks don't do that my toes freeze to death and my boots fit better with thick socks :twisted: :mrgreen:
Wool it is, Oh Great Yorkshire One :D
Must admit I was very skeptical about many mental problems when I was young probably as I wasn't exposed to any .... Then I witnessed my mum and sister been hit by a car ... For a few days the flash backs were very vivid and real... Fortunately no major injuries and the flashbacks just seemed to stop ..

Since then I've dealt with a very depressed wife which I won't go into here but with lots of tlc and listening and some outside intervention she's much better these days.

Throw into the mix an alcoholic brother in law think we just about have a full case load :lol:

And my cousin is for a few more weeks on a crisis team... He's had enough and Is going for pastures new over worked under appreciated and well they get blamed if anything goes wrong despite having a pile of cases he will never get to the bottom of
Lots of inputs, lots of ways forward. Awful to see your mum and sister hit by a car though :( and it sounds like the flashbacks were your way of dealing with it (I'm not sure you were saying it was you who had the flashbacks, sorry about that). Sympathies to your wife - that's very good that she was able to get some helpful intervention, that seems increasingly rare these days. Not the fault of people like your cousin - I'm so glad I'm retired, to be honest; I never worked in the NHS, but I have a sister in law who did, and she's just left, like your cousin - the caseload and the attitudes of management were unbearable, she couldn't take it any more.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It was me having flashbacks never experienced anything like it...

Wasn't like I didn't know what to do in the aftermath that must have been the prepper in me :roll: the driver couldn't find his car keys when the police arrived he hadn't noticed that I removed them from his car when I erm dragged him from his car fortunately at that point the red mist cleared .... (That came from a bystander I can't really remember doing it...) Then rational came back and I legged it home to get my car to fend off traffic and obviously it was stocked with "kit" for an accident

jansman

Post by jansman »

Stuff happens,doesn’t it? Sadly.

To everybody who has commented nicely - and that’s everyone except the pig ignorant one - thank you.

Preppers and survivalists can come across as big ,tough and equipped to the eyeballs. Never been unwell either,both physically and mentally. Well guess what? One day they will be poorly, mentally especially. It creeps up when you ain’t looking. And any REAL men reading this who think they’re invincible need to have a word with themselves. Women,bless them ,do understand . ;)

I will leave it at that for now. For a while I am staying away from the internet full stop. Frankly,I am finding it all boring and somewhat depressing. 15 minutes meditation and a half hour chat with my neighbours is far more therapeutic!

Ta ta for now x
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:52 am Stuff happens,doesn’t it? Sadly.

To everybody who has commented nicely - and that’s everyone except the pig ignorant one - thank you.

Preppers and survivalists can come across as big ,tough and equipped to the eyeballs. Never been unwell either,both physically and mentally. Well guess what? One day they will be poorly, mentally especially. It creeps up when you ain’t looking. And any REAL men reading this who think they’re invincible need to have a word with themselves. Women,bless them ,do understand . ;)

I will leave it at that for now. For a while I am staying away from the internet full stop. Frankly,I am finding it all boring and somewhat depressing. 15 minutes meditation and a half hour chat with my neighbours is far more therapeutic!

Ta ta for now x
That's the other flip side you can prepare for anything but when it comes to the crunch it almost needs to be muscle memory...

For a extreme metaphorical example with arson tendencies ;) :

Show someone a you tube video of how to put out a fire with an extinguisher....

Put extinguisher in their house

Leave it six months

One night set fire to their sofa

Sound the smoke alarm..

Then watch the chaos unfurl ..

When it comes to even daily disasters people ignore what they know they should do..

https://youtu.be/MtX-10c3fT0

The human mind is a amazing but crazy thing in top of your shoulders at the best of times... but throw on a good helping of overwhelming stress and strange things happen

This might be worth a punt but do some research first on the .gov website on the free funded mental health first aid courses

https://freecoursesinengland.co.uk/ment ... I_EALw_wcB

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:52 amI will leave it at that for now. For a while I am staying away from the internet full stop. Frankly,I am finding it all boring and somewhat depressing. 15 minutes meditation and a half hour chat with my neighbours is far more therapeutic!
Well, looking after ourselves, at all sorts of levels, is really the theme of this thread, so the way forward that *you* find, that suits *you*, is the only thing that matters, jansman. I hope you enjoy the chat, as well as finding it therapeutic, in fact I pretty much know you do :)

Yorkshire Andy - interesting point about muscle memory in emergencies - when I've been very upset about something, I tend to retreat from the world into DVDs and reading, and that gets me over the hump, but the issues are still there when I come out the other side. I've managed to shorten the time I disappear into books etc to a few days, rather than months, there is a sort of "muscle memory", as you say - for me, its sort of "yes this helps, but don't take it to the extreme, you need to get out into the world", and that helps me get on again. Earlier on, during my 20s and 30s, I needed serious therapy - I'd never have made it to the age I have without it.

The fire alarms - oh god, I'm an outlier again :roll: I have two experiences. One when I was in a train at a busy station, and I smelled smoke. It went on, and the train didn't move. It was a holiday weekend, packed with families, and I was midway between two doors. If a fire had broken out, I'd have died, there were dozens of children around me who wouldn't have moved fast. So I got up and left the train - I sat on a platform seat, and if it had exploded I'd still have been dead, but a fire wouldn't have killed me, and I could have helped. Eventually, there was an announcement and everyone had to get off. A replacement train took half an hour, but we all lived!

The other one ended up being comical - I was at a science fiction convention in Blackpool, 2,000 people in a hotel over 3 days, and there was a fire alarm around 3am every night. First time, me and my buddy scarpered out of our room sharpish - I looked after her, she was sort of asleep standing up. Fire Brigade let us go back inside after an hour - dust from the vents had been dislodged after enthusiastic dancing :mrgreen: Second night, same thing happened, and I was the asleep-standing-up one, and my buddy looked after me. Third night, we refused to leave the room. I stayed in bed, and my buddy stood at our open door, checking for sound, sight and smell of fire. Nothing. I'm hoping the Fire Brigade made the hotel clean the vents :lol:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Training helps a lot but also I think there are also personality types that seem hard wired to stay calm in an emergency. Most flap about.
We had a coupe of examples of this before our kids reacher teenagerhood. One son broke his finger very badly in a school loo door aged 8. Flattened finger pouring blood. No adult visible. A fellow 8 year old calmly took charge of him, grabbed some paper towel and marched him to the school office for first aid. The others panicked.
(I gather the child threw up later but at the time she was cool as a cucumber.)
My other son is similar WHen a child was injured at the school playing fields, he was the one who instantly ran for the first aid kit while the teacher and the rest of the class went "Ouch" and wondered what to do next.
Ara

Post by Ara »

It is good that people are talking more about mental health nowadays as until recently you just Did. Not. Do. It. Having had some minor episodes in the past, I was worried about the question on job applications that asked about them but realised I was more likely to be in trouble if the bosses found out later than if I was up front about them. In fact, no one ever mentioned mental or physical health once I got the jobs.
I can still remember one colleague saying: "What's she got to be depressed about?" when another workmate took several months off work. Some people just don't understand.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ara wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:04 am Some people just don't understand.
I said earlier I felt unqualified to comment on this thread because honestly I'd fall into that category. I know and accept some people have depression and mental health issues but I can't profess to actually understanding the problem in the same way as I know and accept some people speak Chinese but I just don't understand it . I put that down to not having any direct experience to base an understanding on. I suppose this sometimes makes for the "wrong" feelings. I mentioned my brother in law's problems and while I suppose really there should be empathy sometimes that turns to frustration and even indifference. Sorry , I must sound awful but I'm frankly not the only one in the family that feels the same.
The other evening my wife was watching Coronation Street and at the end the announcer said "if you have been affected by isues in this programme , helpline ...." My wife said " there's a helpline after almost every programme these days" and I couldn't help wondering if that's because we are encouraged to talk more about stuff or whether a diet of soaps with murders , rapes , divorces , frauds and so on isn't in a way contributing to the issues.
One question for those in the know. Is it still acceptable to use the term "positive mental attitude" ? I used the term a little while ago and a friend said it shouldn't be used as it's not considered a "thing" nowadays but I didn't really believe her...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:53 amI said earlier I felt unqualified to comment on this thread because honestly I'd fall into that category. I know and accept some people have depression and mental health issues but I can't profess to actually understanding the problem in the same way as I know and accept some people speak Chinese but I just don't understand it . I put that down to not having any direct experience to base an understanding on. I suppose this sometimes makes for the "wrong" feelings. I mentioned my brother in law's problems and while I suppose really there should be empathy sometimes that turns to frustration and even indifference. Sorry , I must sound awful but I'm frankly not the only one in the family that feels the same.
Saying you don't understand, when you don't understand, is an honest, direct reaction, I really don't have a problem with that. I suppose some people would; and maybe you could gain knowledge about what types of mental health problems exist, but thats still not the same as understanding it.

If your thinking was "I don't understand it, so it doesn't exist." - well, thats a problem! But that isn't your thinking :)
The other evening my wife was watching Coronation Street and at the end the announcer said "if you have been affected by isues in this programme , helpline ...." My wife said " there's a helpline after almost every programme these days" and I couldn't help wondering if that's because we are encouraged to talk more about stuff or whether a diet of soaps with murders , rapes , divorces , frauds and so on isn't in a way contributing to the issues.
When I used to watch soaps (30 years ago!) the storylines were little everyday stuff, and from headlines I see in newspapers now, they all seem to have huge issues that they're dealing with - the ones you name above. Lobbyists, audience share, don't know.
One question for those in the know. Is it still acceptable to use the term "positive mental attitude" ? I used the term a little while ago and a friend said it shouldn't be used as it's not considered a "thing" nowadays but I didn't really believe her...
Not a clue :lol: sorry - my work was always really niche, and didn't involve Positive Mental Attitude. The trend *will* move on, because that's what it is, a trend. Like I said early in this thread, "the fact that there are *so* many types of treatment out there to aid mental health means that *one* of them isn't "the right one for everyone". And if something isn't a "thing", that doesn't mean its stopped being true.