Mental Health for prepping.

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Re: Mental Health for prepping.

Post by jansman »

Mortblanc wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 am This is the most depressing thread I have read since they lifted COVID restrictions!
You and your family and friends - if you have such- are obviously bl**dy perfect!

I hope that you don’t get a terminal cancer, or any other serious illness that limits your life knowingly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 am
Mortblanc wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 am This is the most depressing thread I have read since they lifted COVID restrictions!
You and your family and friends - if you have such- are obviously bl**dy perfect!

I hope that you don’t get a terminal cancer, or any other serious illness that limits your life knowingly.
Absolutely. That level of dismissiveness is shocking.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

It is depressing. 100% but that's the whole point
Keeping the mental health on a even level.
Its hard watching the OH die in front of me.
I wake up in a morning and I am scared ..scared to look over in case hes died in the night
I look at him and ..wheres the weight ? Hes not on a diet
Life changes dramatically and some days i wish I was going with him in fact most days I do ..or I'm in tears for hours ..
But I swim and clean and keep busy to help my head thats my way of coping ..and mentally helps me.
Where we live the waiting list is around 6 months for help pribabaly more now..and a lot of time I open phone and come to the preppers site
The ideas and tips and family of people help
So yes depressing but also a great help ...
We do have a laugh ..but we prep for disaster ..and oh boy illness is a disaster that is ultimate prepping .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:08 am
It is depressing. 100% but that's the whole point
Keeping the mental health on a even level.
Its hard watching the OH die in front of me.
I wake up in a morning and I am scared ..scared to look over in case hes died in the night
I look at him and ..wheres the weight ? Hes not on a diet
Life changes dramatically and some days i wish I was going with him in fact most days I do ..or I'm in tears for hours ..
But I swim and clean and keep busy to help my head thats my way of coping ..and mentally helps me.
Where we live the waiting list is around 6 months for help pribabaly more now..and a lot of time I open phone and come to the preppers site
The ideas and tips and family of people help
So yes depressing but also a great help ...
We do have a laugh ..but we prep for disaster ..and oh boy illness is a disaster that is ultimate prepping .

You know where we are GG.. we can also find ways to destract you and take your mind off things...

I mean have you seen this torch :mrgreen: :twisted:
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 530 times
:lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Andy ...thanks to you the amount of torches and lanterns in my house could fully light the Blackpool illuminations :)
Brilliant ...:) :)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Andy: Always a light in our darkness. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:08 am
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 am

Absolutely. That level of dismissiveness is shocking.
I am glad it’s not just me feeling that way. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I feel a little unqualified to comment on this topic as I've had limited experience. On my side of the family I can't recall anyone suffering with depression. My grandfather committed suicide. He was terminally ill although I don't know with what and evidently in considerable pain. He cut the barrel off his shotgun . My father discovered him and though I was only around 7 I can remember him saying granddad didn't seem any different the day before. My father was always pretty pragmatic and just took life as it came. Mother only really seemed depressed after dad died and we think she sort of gave up as she died very shortly afterwards. I feel I take after my father.
On my wife's side her mother evidently had a few issues . She drowned and although there was a suspicion of suicide it could easily have been an accident. The most obvious sufferer with mental health is her brother. He appears to be bi polar and it also appears this developed after he started taking drugs. He's also very religious which we frankly don't think has helped as it seems to dominate his thinking. For example his van was off the road , he had very little money so instead of paying for the repairs he put it on a deposit for a trip to "the holy land" . Thankfully his dad has helped him out. We've helped as well as has his other sister but it is frustrating to see the help just being wasted or unacknowledged.
Perhaps I'm not as sensitive as I should be but I saw montblanc's comment as a lighthearted remark , bad taste perhaps but maybe an attempt to inject a bit of humour ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:56 pm I feel a little unqualified to comment on this topic as I've had limited experience. On my side of the family I can't recall anyone suffering with depression. My grandfather committed suicide. He was terminally ill although I don't know with what and evidently in considerable pain. He cut the barrel off his shotgun . My father discovered him and though I was only around 7 I can remember him saying granddad didn't seem any different the day before. My father was always pretty pragmatic and just took life as it came. Mother only really seemed depressed after dad died and we think she sort of gave up as she died very shortly afterwards. I feel I take after my father.
On my wife's side her mother evidently had a few issues . She drowned and although there was a suspicion of suicide it could easily have been an accident. The most obvious sufferer with mental health is her brother. He appears to be bi polar and it also appears this developed after he started taking drugs. He's also very religious which we frankly don't think has helped as it seems to dominate his thinking. For example his van was off the road , he had very little money so instead of paying for the repairs he put it on a deposit for a trip to "the holy land" . Thankfully his dad has helped him out. We've helped as well as has his other sister but it is frustrating to see the help just being wasted or unacknowledged.
Perhaps I'm not as sensitive as I should be but I saw montblanc's comment as a lighthearted remark , bad taste perhaps but maybe an attempt to inject a bit of humour ?
That was not humour. Pig ignorant is what Montblanc said.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yeah, I don't see that remark as humourous either - and trying to be lighthearted about this, as a first remark on the thread, when two people have said they're living with terminal conditions, and that a third is living with that with her beloved partner - that's not okay either, in my book.

GeeGee and Mr GeeGee having a laugh *together* as she says is sharing humour in a completely different, and very beautiful way - I'm sure jansman and Mrs Jansman find things to laugh together about too.

On this thread itself ... Yorkshire Andy, bless his little cotton socks :D that's a perfect example of kindly, supportive humour.

Grenfell: my family has its own share of issues, though only one was about suicide, back in 1890, when life was so different it doesn't really help to describe it. On a less life-threatening level, I'm thinking of my dad - he joined up in 1940, only had leave once during the war (on the death of his brother), and was eventually demobbed in 1946: it took him a long, long time, more than a decade, to grow into the role of factory worker, husband and father. On the other side of the family, the reason I have African relatives is that my uncle, then aged 12, applied for the Resettlement of the Empire programme, open to white orphans - that was queried when it was found he had both parents living :? but he was allowed to go. He'd been evacuated alone, at the age of six, and not allowed to come home for years. Having met him for the first time in his mid-50s, I can pretty much guarantee he was traumatised by his various experiences, though he'd have denied it to his last breath.

It's my original point, really - many, many things influence mental health, and equally many things improve it. It's a constant balancing and re-balancing, though.