Potential drought coming to UK

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Vitamin c

Re: Potential drought coming to UK

Post by Vitamin c »

Most towns and city's are on rivers same as water treatment works.
Fill er up jacko...
korolev

Post by korolev »

I got about 2500 litres in water butts; more than half of it comes off the house and garage roof, the other half I pump from these.
If there's a sniff of f hosepipe ban I'll fill them from the hose.

As for who owns rivers/streams, various people do but to extract water (more than 20000l/day) from them you need Environment Agency permission.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Interesting factoid.

There’s more fresh water in Loch Ness than in every reservoir in England and Wales apparently.

Another wee factoid is that we kept Scottish Water in the public hands up here. Our tap water is also pretty special, it’s something we are actually quite proud of.

I don’t think I will have to rig up a water system looking at the forecast either…
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

No sewage discharged up here, we have clean water.
An awful lot of it and it keeps on coming!! :evil:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Indy today
There has been a 29-fold increase in untreated sewage discharges into rivers and seas over a period of five years
More than 350,000 sewage spills have been counted across England and Wales over two million hours
In England, the North faces the biggest problem of sewage leaks with over 5,200 occurrences across the region in 2022
raw sewage had been pumped into British waterways for a total of 9,427,355 hours since 2016
nearly one in four discharges went unmonitored
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

"England's privatised water firms paid £57bn in dividends since 1991"
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... areholders
jansman

Post by jansman »

The angling clubs are all pitching in about river pollution. https://anglingtrust.net/campaigns/. I’ve seen some BIG fish extermination down the years.At this point in my limited life,my fishing is important :lol: :lol: On the flip side,my Wife’s dad worked for Severn Trent ( on purification) and made a small mint in shares!

Back to the OP ,my daughter is coming over. They’ve had a burst main down there in the city. I have a 25 litre barrel for her to store in case of similar events! ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Lucky here , I have a river going through my land , fast flowing 10' wide up to about 3 deep but mainly 6" . There are also 4 springs on the land . When it rains a lot I get water spouts up to 2' high and about 4" diameter popping out of the hill .so as things are atm I am ok , been drink the stuff here from the springs for years , not dead YET !
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Rustyme wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:20 pm Lucky here , I have a river going through my land , fast flowing 10' wide up to about 3 deep but mainly 6" . There are also 4 springs on the land . When it rains a lot I get water spouts up to 2' high and about 4" diameter popping out of the hill .so as things are atm I am ok , been drinking the stuff here from the springs for years , not dead YET !
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

" Water industry refuses to fix sewage crisis unless funded by increased household bills"
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... l-sharkey/

"The water industry has refused to fix the sewage crisis unless improvements can be funded from increased household bills.

A £10 billion plan announced by the water industry to reduce the amount of sewage spills will be funded from increased bills to last for decades if it is signed off by Ofwat."

Taking the p....