Potential drought coming to UK

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jansman

Potential drought coming to UK

Post by jansman »

Here we go https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one- ... roup-warns

Over the years ,here where we live, there have been a couple of water issues . First a power cut back in Winter 1990,so five days without ( melted snow then!) then a burst pipe,same decade. It was a standpipe to supply us for a good 24 hours then. After the first gig,we went to the chemist over the road and always kept purifying tablets. Now we have filters too. I’ve used them successfully on my overnight river trips fishing. Water is heavy,so the filter is good. :D

Anyhow,I am sure most here have such equipment,so that’s not an issue. The real question is this; Do you have your OWN alternative water source?

We carry 100 litre emergency water. We have a well ( rather good too) and my water butt system which is hundreds ++ litres. And the brook over the road. I’d still prefer Severn Trent pushing it into the pipes though! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Re: Potential drought coming to UK

Post by Kiwififer »

That’s certainly not in Scotland!

The new tourist slogan is…

Visit Scotland. It rains all the time!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:35 am Anyhow,I am sure most here have such equipment,so that’s not an issue. The real question is this; Do you have your OWN alternative water source?
I don't, I'm afraid. I bought two waterbutts, but the tap seals were defective, and when I got ill, they got sat in the garden, and I've never taken them up since :oops:

Emergency water - maybe 60-70 litres, I've just refreshed some that was stored under the plinth of a chest of drawers, the plastic looked about to perish. I recycled some purification tablets to Boots last month, and I've bought replacements. I have poolshock, long terms bleach storage. I have two filters, an older Katadyn and I just bought a Lifestraw. If there's notice of an event of any kind, I just cleaned out and disinfected one of my wheelie bins, that would now easily take a wheelie binbag. There are a lot of streams around here, and I have some plastic piping meant for home brew that would work, plus an old lady trolley to carry containers - though I doubt I'd be free and clear enough to get the water without local toerags butting in. I'll do what I can, and if its not enough, then it won't be.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Kiwififer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:36 am That’s certainly not in Scotland!

The new tourist slogan is…

Visit Scotland. It rains all the time!
Just what I was thinking!!! Forgot what the damn sun looks like here :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:46 am
jansman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:35 am Anyhow,I am sure most here have such equipment,so that’s not an issue. The real question is this; Do you have your OWN alternative water source?
I don't, I'm afraid. I bought two waterbutts, but the tap seals were defective, and when I got ill, they got sat in the garden, and I've never taken them up since :oops:

Emergency water - maybe 60-70 litres, I've just refreshed some that was stored under the plinth of a chest of drawers, the plastic looked about to perish. I recycled some purification tablets to Boots last month, and I've bought replacements. I have poolshock, long terms bleach storage. I have two filters, an older Katadyn and I just bought a Lifestraw. If there's notice of an event of any kind, I just cleaned out and disinfected one of my wheelie bins, that would now easily take a wheelie binbag. There are a lot of streams around here, and I have some plastic piping meant for home brew that would work, plus an old lady trolley to carry containers - though I doubt I'd be free and clear enough to get the water without local toerags butting in. I'll do what I can, and if its not enough, then it won't be.
Sounds like you have an idea though. Your waterbutts : I would just glue them in with say Araldite,and put plumbers tape on the thread. Fill em up and just bung a small bucket,pan or jug in the top when needed. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I have 40 litres, plus 4 x 5 litre containers under the bed I need to get washed, steralised and filled, plus a 25 litre container I don't plan on filling unless I think I might need it and/or can find somewhere to put it when full. 85 litres is 40 days drinking water. On top of that you need to flush the loo, wash pots, and wash yourself.
Of course I have filters and tabs.
I don't have a water butt. I should get one.
There is a river about a mile away. I could cycle there and fill water bottles. I could fit at least one 5 litre container in a pannier on my bike. Maybe another in a rucksack. Unfortunately there have been loads of instances of sewage being dumped in the river, and indeed most rivers in Britain. So it's not very appealing.
https://theriverstrust.org/sewage-map

Each of the brown dots is a site. Every one I clicked on was the site of hundreds of discharges..

eg:

"Permit number: 01MAN0250

In 2021, this sewer storm overflow spilled 110 times for a total of 558 hours, discharging into the River Mersey.

The reason that the water company provided as to why an overflow may have high spill counts in that period: Not Asset Maintence - Hydraulic Capacity. "

another, same river:

"Permit number: 16982678

In 2021, this sewer storm overflow spilled 236 times for a total of 293 hours, discharging into the River Mersey."
Last edited by Frnc on Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The rivers are an issue right now. As an Angler,I am aware of this. In fact ,the river fishing community is right now campaigning against the ‘money - saving’ exercises of the water authorities across the country. :(

Robert Frost.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Who owns rivers and streams in uk.
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:08 pm The rivers are an issue right now. As an Angler,I am aware of this. In fact ,the river fishing community is right now campaigning against the ‘money - saving’ exercises of the water authorities across the country. :(
If you look at the map there are hundreds, maybe thousands of dots. 373 for Manchester. Every dot I clicked on was the site of hundreds of instances of sewage discharge in 2021. So we are looking tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of discharges. One dot represented over 2,000 hours of sewage discharge!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:13 pm Who owns rivers and streams in uk.
I don't know, good question.
Last edited by Frnc on Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.