Warp weighted loom

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
grenfell

Re: Warp weighted loom

Post by grenfell »

Rustyme wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:13 pm My era of interest is about 1000 years earlier than yours but am still interested in your era too , very similar in many respects . I like doing things as in times gone by and yes I do see the irony in watching ye olde youtube videos to learn how to do some thing's . Life with very little money is hard but I can survive with all the basics so that makes this thread relavent to prepping I hope .
Sometimes I see an irony when we set up our encampment , trying to be authentic knowing it's arrived in trailers and transit vans. I like other eras too but lack of money , storage room and time means I stick to one period . Similar to your period but different enough just as I can see the start of modern society in the 15th century but still with enough differences to now.
At one event was making a bowl out of a lump of maple. One of the public asked what I was doing and I told her and she replied "how boring" to which my friend piped up "should of been here yesterday , he made my missus a chopping board"..some people think everyone walked around in suits of armour I'm sure...
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Lol, like the lady who thought you making a bowl , as useful today as it was in bygone times , people look at me and how I live and think I am completely bonkers . Got to get my pole lathe out soon and start making some bowls , I have plenty of ash and huge amounts of sycamore , make the bowls before I burn the wood on the fire ! I wonder what the bored lady did with her time that was sooooo interesting compared to your lathe turning skill that provides you with useful items ?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I think she'd been watching the clankies and gunners before us. We made the conscious decision to move down the social ladder and actually do stuff rather than try to look pretty. It's living history and for the most part people can understand and relate to it. We all have bowls in the house whether we are bronze age or 21st century after all. That particular bowl was carved out of a block , oval with shell handles but I have turned bowls at other times.
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Interesting read certainly busy making own linen then turning it into clothing. Got chatting to customer at work who buys fleece does whole process of dyeing/spinning etc into yarn by hand than knitting into various items from gloves and scarfs to jumpers fascinating stuff