Warp weighted loom

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Rustyme

Warp weighted loom

Post by Rustyme »

Not sure if I have said on here , but I am putting together a warp weighted loom , as in viking/anglo Saxon days . I am making it with hazel coppice wood I cut a few weeks ago . I am following a YouTube series of clips by Sally Pointer . A free loom to weave linen that I shall be growing on my land this year . I can then make the clothes I need to do anglo saxon living history . Due to my lifestyle no money to buy it , so I have to make it . The loom is free , the linen is more or less free , couple oh quid for the seed , and I can make and sow my own clothes .
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Warp weighted loom

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just don't go doing a sleeping beauty ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Your reenactment clothes will be the most authentic out there with no modern tech used anywhere in their manufacture. I think you will also have a very good understanding of why new clothes were a treat for the billionaires of the day while the poor wore their old clothes until they could not be mended any more - and beyond.
The history of the Japanese style of "Boro mended" clothing explains this concept well. Clothes which lasted generations but were a sign of poverty until vintage Boro became a fashion statement a couple of years ago and are now only for the rich...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boro_(textile)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That sounds wonderful - taking raw materials and adding complexity. Would love to see pictures when you can.
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

I shall be doing everything , as near as possible , the way it would have been done back in anglo Saxon days . Growing the linseed for the fibre to turn into linen . It will be spun on a drop spindle , then woven on the loom , then sewn by hand into garments . I shall also be curing and tanning leather and spinning sheep wool . Also to be made will be shields , spears , swords , axes etc. Some of which I have already made , I have all the forge tools I need to make anything I need , but sadly no money .... Lol . I will be putting together an anglo Saxon type house . So plenty to keep me busy this summer .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just watch any linseed oil build up especially on fabric / rags it can spontaneously combust if the conditions are right
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Rustyme wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:03 pm I shall be doing everything , as near as possible , the way it would have been done back in anglo Saxon days . Growing the linseed for the fibre to turn into linen . It will be spun on a drop spindle , then woven on the loom , then sewn by hand into garments . I shall also be curing and tanning leather and spinning sheep wool . Also to be made will be shields , spears , swords , axes etc. Some of which I have already made , I have all the forge tools I need to make anything I need , but sadly no money .... Lol . I will be putting together an anglo Saxon type house . So plenty to keep me busy this summer .
I couldn't help but smile at your first post when you said about doing everything as it would be done in anglo saxon times and be following a youtube video :D . Actually I'm really impressed and just a tiny bit jealous.
I re-enact myself , 15th century and although I do hand sew my clothing I tend to buy the cloth. Our group does have a spinner and she uses a great wheel. We also have a blacksmith and I'm a carpenter. I make bows , furniture and have had some of it described as museum quality whatever that means. Even hand sewing a shirt really brings home the time and effort involved , growing , processing, spinning and so on takes it to a whole new level . Very impressed.
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

My era of interest is about 1000 years earlier than yours but am still interested in your era too , very similar in many respects . I live in west Wales , very rural , no local buses , I have no car just a bike , lots of very big hills Bugger ! Local supermarket is 8 miles away , 16 mile round trip walk , 3-4 hours walking , not much less with the bike , I have to get off and walk uphill , so my life is very much like bygone era life . Sadly no local groups doing anglo saxon living history , some do iron age or celtic stuff , so I may look into starting a group or just carry on doing my own thing alone , just hope I don't get sectioned if I get caught out !!!! I can't afford to buy the linen and I have the land so may as well grow it , I have done this before . I grew flax/linseed processed it and wove it on my home made floor loom . This time I will be leaving some to process the seed for use in cooking and to get oil ( yes i know about the combustion danger thanks YA ) . I like doing things as in times gone by and yes I do see the irony in watching ye olde youtube videos to learn how to do some thing's . Life with very little money is hard but I can survive with all the basics so that makes this thread relavent to prepping I hope .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Rustyme wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:13 pmLife with very little money is hard but I can survive with all the basics so that makes this thread relavent to prepping I hope .
It definitely does, the skills you acquire doing this are *so* valuable.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:06 am Your reenactment clothes will be the most authentic out there with no modern tech used anywhere in their manufacture. I think you will also have a very good understanding of why new clothes were a treat for the billionaires of the day while the poor wore their old clothes until they could not be mended any more - and beyond.
The history of the Japanese style of "Boro mended" clothing explains this concept well. Clothes which lasted generations but were a sign of poverty until vintage Boro became a fashion statement a couple of years ago and are now only for the rich...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boro_(textile)
This reminds me of another japanese idea , kintsugi which is repairing ceramics . It uses a gold lacquer in the joints of the break and the idea is to celebrate that the item breaking is part of it's life rather than the end of it. In joinery we have a similar notion of making a feature of a joint or whatever rather than trying to hide it. I mentioned kintsugi to a couple of friends. One liked the idea and has done a few pieces since but my other friend can't see any merit in the idea and thinks it's pointless and stupid. I like the idea though.