Being hounded to get a smart meter

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

Being hounded to get a smart meter

Post by Medusa »

I am being hounded by EDF to get a smart meter fitted. Phone calls, texts and emails. I do not want one. How long before energy suppliers start penalising us for not having one? Perhaps when there are alternatives to the variable rate tariff again?
Growing old disgracefully!
pseudonym

Re: Being hounded to get a smart meter

Post by pseudonym »

They gave up with me.

I live alone. I know what lights are on and what energy I use without a meter :roll: :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:47 pm They gave up with me.

I live alone. I know what lights are on and what energy I use without a meter :roll: :roll:
Our philosophy too. Ain’t using it,turn it off. Simples! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Medusa wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:24 pm I am being hounded by EDF to get a smart meter fitted. Phone calls, texts and emails. I do not want one. How long before energy suppliers start penalising us for not having one? Perhaps when there are alternatives to the variable rate tariff again?
Had the same ..was awful I told them all where to go
Then they pulled ..your meter is unsafe and needs changing as it has come to the end of its life ..it is not mandatory to have a smart meter but then can enforce the change of meter at end of life .. this wasn't my supplier though it was a different firm who were ringing and texting and pestering
I checked up on my meter and yes it was at the end of life stage as they said ...
I told them I would have another meter installed but if they showed up with a smart meter they weren't coming in and I would be taking action against them for harassment ( couldn't afford that but they didn't know )
I got a reconditioned meter older than the one they took out
But they now have no excuse to tell me I need a smart meter
We will see what tricks they come up with ...
The smart meter rollout started January 2023
A lot of people are being told your meter is at end of life you need another one it seems the way they are getting people to have them whereas it isnt law and not mandatory..you can tell them I will have the meter replaced yes ..but get lost with the smart meter .
As you say though Medusa ..for now ....its not the law
Tell them where to go .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm in exactly the same boat as you guys - I've recently had them talking about the end of life for the meter, very weird.

GeeGee, how did you check whether it was true that your meter had reached the end of its life? I got to a page from the CAB, but it wasn't giving me that, and I can't find anything else.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:14 pm I'm in exactly the same boat as you guys - I've recently had them talking about the end of life for the meter, very weird.

GeeGee, how did you check whether it was true that your meter had reached the end of its life? I got to a page from the CAB, but it wasn't giving me that, and I can't find anything else.
Gas act legislation for stationary meters..between 10 and 25 yr ..then they can force a change for safety i do admit the gas meter was falling apart with rust ... a little wobbly and welded under the sink..the fella wasn't slim.who changed it and spent a lot of time grunting and puffing...
Mine had been in since gas was piped into house decades ago its a pre war house
But ..you don't have to have a smart meter..
You can say yes ok I agree its at end of life but I want like for like
Its what I got ...

Forgot to say check gas act legislation for gas meters and I believe electricity meters are up to 20 yr and check electric meter lifespan..depending on how long you have lived there you should be able to work out how long its been there
jansman

Post by jansman »

I had the ‘old,dangerous’ sales pitch too! On that phone call, I said if it was that dangerous I’d better inform my neighbours they must evacuate,then I had a huff and puff and told them I was having a panic attack. Their phone was put down! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Droidy

Post by Droidy »

Medusa wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:24 pm I am being hounded by EDF to get a smart meter fitted. Phone calls, texts and emails. I do not want one. How long before energy suppliers start penalising us for not having one? Perhaps when there are alternatives to the variable rate tariff again?
Be aware the smart meters have the ability to cut off supply remotely (over the phone network)
This video may help to understand......
https://youtu.be/G32NYQpvy8Q
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end. U Le Guin
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 am I had the ‘old,dangerous’ sales pitch too! On that phone call, I said if it was that dangerous I’d better inform my neighbours they must evacuate,then I had a huff and puff and told them I was having a panic attack. Their phone was put down! :lol:
That's brilliant :lol: they haven't bugged me with a phone call yet, but I might use this one when they do ;)
korolev

Post by korolev »

I do have smart meters. There was one here when we moved in; has to be fitted for the solar panels I beleive.

I recently had the meters upgraded to smets2 and I now have a little display that tells me the usage. For me this is good because my solar panels, being 2011 vintage, only generate a maximum of 2kw and the display tells me how much I am exporting so I know when to run the dishwasher/washing machine/tumble dryer in order to minimise how much I'm paying for.

What's interesting is that with lights off and everything on standby I'm still using around 120w (fridge & freezer on all the time obvs, plus various connected devices). Gonna try and get this down under 100.

On the subject of disconnection, when the feller was changing the gas meter he said "you got a leak, I might have to cap your supply". All the pipework in the house is new and we have a new boiler and hob all done by a proper gas man (at proper gas man prices too :cry: ).
I told him that it was probably the old meter and that, whatever, he wasn't cutting my gas off. He said it was unlikely to be the meter.
It was the old meter.