Bugging out in the UK

Homes and Retreats
Frnc

Re: Bugging out in the UK

Post by Frnc »

Peter wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:42 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:30 am That’s actually a good idea for a topic.

You have a rucksack and that’s it. What would you put in it and that’s only for stuff on the house?

It’s not a bug out bag as that would infer that you would be coming back, this is a farewell bag.
A good few years ago, when winter hillwalking, I carried a 40L sac, if I remember correctly in the main compartment in a heavy duty plastic bag, dry socks and extra sweater at the bottom, next a small billy and an esbit stove and fuel, mug, a tin of corned beef and a tin of baked beans, both of which can be eaten cold, some tea bags and sugar, at the top a bivi bag, sometimes a sleeping bag, waterproofs, woolly hat and gloves.

Left side pocket, first aid kit, swiss army knife, torch, water sterilising tablets, spare boot laces and a space blanket.
Right side pocket, water bottle, a couple of mars, mint cake. Lid pocket maps and compass.

I never used the sleeping bag so I would not bother and would replace the tins with dry food.
Add a kindle and a flash drive, tactical torch with spare battery, 12V battery to usb charger and you’ve got a good start.
I never took much on day walks, just first aid kit probably. I might have taken a head torch in winter. Of course I had a whistle and small first aid kit. I might have had puri tabs, can't remember. Filters didn't exist. Didn't have a phone let alone tablet. Obviously if I was backpacking I had everything. Occasionaly I camped high to go climbing, so had to carry tent etc plus hardware plus rope.