Storm Otto

Homes and Retreats
Nurseandy

Storm Otto

Post by Nurseandy »

Hit about 3 am. Power off at 6:30. Have a bottle fed gas hob at this house so only inconvience was having to make coffee with a cafetiere instead of machine. Bit of a first world problem ;) . No central heating but have wood burner and a calor gas heater, also not particularly cold. Immeasurably easier to charge up phones/laptops etc from the USB ports on the bio digester sh1t stirrer solar array than via car battery as in during storm arwen.
Wee bit of gutter & slate damage but will be easily fixed.
Just off to collect the contents of the recycling bin :lol:
Ara

Re: Storm Otto

Post by Ara »

Is your power back on yet?
The only "problem" we had was the recycling bin blowing over just before I got up (according to Mr A).
The dog had a short walk along the road as I did not fancy dodging falling tree branches. Coming home was a bit more difficult. I will inspect the damage tomorrow morning.
These preps are useful aren't they?
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Powers just come back on. Bit of a shame really, we'd used the power cut as an excuse to break out the apocalypse Chocolates and were revving up for an evening of board games and wine. Maybe we'll do that anyway 😏
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:32 pm Powers just come back on. Bit of a shame really, we'd used the power cut as an excuse to break out the apocalypse Chocolates and were revving up for an evening of board games and wine. Maybe we'll do that anyway 😏
An evening of board games :o :shock: :o
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 495 times
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

:lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Was windy here but nothing spectacular today

I did clear the garden last night and secured any crap, kids trampoline has about 100kg of sand bags on the legs it's sat in a L of shelter against a 10ft hedge on one side and a shed on the other plus the 6ft fence and end hedge it's well protected unless we get a big squall through the garden

Bins 2 have a fair bit in empty one was sandwiched between the others against the fence

The daffodils are pushing up so it's windy season ;)

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We got tired of our bins falling around and creating a hazard every time there is a bit of a blow They are now held to the wall by bungee cord and eyelet bolts. It is easy enough to unclip the bungee when it is time to put them out for collection.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:20 pm We got tired of our bins falling around and creating a hazard every time there is a bit of a blow They are now held to the wall by bungee cord and eyelet bolts. It is easy enough to unclip the bungee when it is time to put them out for collection.
I have a shovel and yard brush hanging on my coal house wall. They too are bungeed down as they bang around in the wind and it drives me bonkers! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've a length of cord in the past when it's been really bad I've tied all three together via the handles. Stops the bins escaping :lol:

Our front gate is on a auto latch and spring so it closes and locks so it does not sit there banging all night..

Need to cut some more little wedges for the fence panels as the dry summer has seen most drop out and vanish to stop them rattling in the wind

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Heard a bit of wind last night. The only time I've ever seen wheelie bins blow over is when they were left round the front for collection. They are more exposed. At the back, against the kitchen wall, they've never budged. Hopefully ny new roof is till in good order. Still waiting for some heavy rain to test the new bit of flashing they added after the new roof leaked a bit at the back of the chimney. Still got waterproof sheet over one speaker and poised at the back of my amp ready to cover it.