Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Re: Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Post by jansman »

I’ll leave it with ya’ ! I’ve worked for life in the food industry, trained in first aid, so understand proper hygiene! I am now being treated ( seriously) by NHS. Ironically I MUST avoid cuts and scratches right now, and am on a serious antibiotic to prevent what could kill me quicker than the cancer! If I got a bad cut now , then I will ( my wife will) use the first aid box and use sterile dressing!

Indeed , I showed her this thread and she commented upon a former neighbour of her parents who cut himself whilst gardening- muck basically- and got blood poisoning and died!

Aah well , it’s down to personal choice I guess, and I guess most will prefer going to a chemist rather than a garden centre! 😂
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:30 pm
Indeed , I showed her this thread and she commented upon a former neighbour of her parents who cut himself whilst gardening- muck basically- and got blood poisoning and died!

I managed to snag some tsept I keep some on the allotment for any grazes / scrapes

Whilst antiseptic seems to be frowned upon due to being cytotoxic it's worked for years I'd rather wash it out with that Vs water

https://medtree.co.uk/tisept-sachets-25ml

I keep some on the allotment
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

My Cytotoxic medicine at the moment is my chemotherapy- and it makes this man sick! Vomiting sick! The ‘handling rules’ for that medication are seriously safety-based too.

I’ll stick with bandages!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:36 pm My Cytotoxic medicine at the moment is my chemotherapy- and it makes this man sick! Vomiting sick! The ‘handling rules’ for that medication are seriously safety-based too.

By cytotoxic in the antiseptic sense it slows healing as it can damage the injured tissue I remember grandma using iodine on my hand (still got the scars ) from locking handlebars with my cousin his brake lever had a little sharp bit of casting on the end ..

It's just a wound wash ideal for when access to soap and
Clean water is not available before dressing

Did you get one of the lec locking fridges to keep the meds in ? They make good beer fridges workmates son gets a new fridge issued every time he gets a new course of medication!

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:30 pm most will prefer going to a chemist rather than a garden centre! 😂
As I said, I was only talking about a situation like TEOTWAWKI, where there are no chemists open. Or similar survival situation. I only mentioned it because people were talking about using urine, which I wouldn't fancy.

There are some other things that might be safer or easier to find. Garlic has antibiotic properties https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103721/
Also honey and other things https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... s-to-avoid
jansman

Post by jansman »

As I always say,it’s personal decision. Infection to the body is always there,ready to go to work. It doesn’t need help! I will stick with proper medical supplies,which are easily and cheaply available.

It’s ok READING about these ‘alternatives’, but actually KNOWING and USING is the only way forward - as long as it’s safe of course. I will be seeing my Oncologist tomorrow,and I’ll mention this sphagnum moss jobby to her. She is quite straightforward. Anyone want a bet with me about what she says? :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:04 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:36 pm My Cytotoxic medicine at the moment is my chemotherapy- and it makes this man sick! Vomiting sick! The ‘handling rules’ for that medication are seriously safety-based too.

By cytotoxic in the antiseptic sense it slows healing as it can damage the injured tissue I remember grandma using iodine on my hand (still got the scars ) from locking handlebars with my cousin his brake lever had a little sharp bit of casting on the end ..

It's just a wound wash ideal for when access to soap and
Clean water is not available before dressing

Did you get one of the lec locking fridges to keep the meds in ? They make good beer fridges workmates son gets a new fridge issued every time he gets a new course of medication!
My cytotoxic med dives into the cells and smashes them to stop division. Slows the growth down basically. My Aunt takes a small type every other week for her arthritis. Same type of cell attack.

As for fridges,it has to be stored below 22 c. Our kitchen doesn’t need help there! :D Joking aside,it doesn’t need security via a locking fridge,as we don’t have young children here now.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I spoke to a few guides, watched several videos and came to the following kit to buy:
1. CAT7 (because it is the most popular) or SAM Medical Tactical Tourniquet (it is the same as CAT7, except a bit more intuitive to apply)
2. Compact gauze
3. Homeostatic syringe (helps to stop bleeding, very convenient for small cuts, particularly to finders, but you cannot apply it on head and stomach wounds) or homeostatic gauze (works best)

I see on the web surplus stores sell military medical bags full of goodies from 70-90s. I know that bandages are not sterile, but they probably will work? Does anyone have experience with those kits? I watched videos from the current war zone in Europe - not our side is using medical bandages made during Soviet times and claim they often work better than the current ones because they were made from better material. What about NATO old medical kit? Thinking to get such a kit and put it in my car, but wonder if I should have some spare as I did not need bandages for around 25 years (I have a daughter and now realised how rarely she gets cuts - my brother and I would regularly get cut as kids and we used to go through the bandages fairly quickly in the family)

Thanks
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

I was only recalling something told to me by a guy who grew up in rural India. Myself, I’ll stick to my tried and tested St. John’s Ambulance training and my well stocked First Aid kit.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mad Scientist wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:06 pm I was only recalling something told to me by a guy who grew up in rural India. Myself, I’ll stick to my tried and tested St. John’s Ambulance training and my well stocked First Aid kit.
I've done it myself especially on those cracks / knicks on your fingers that keep weeping and don't want to heal now I'm not advocating anyone does it but one of the main ingredients of many skin care lotions and potions is Urea.....

Ok it might not be 100% sterile. But shtf and I get a cut and there is the choice between a muddy puddle and my bladder contents to wash a wound I've got..... I know which I will choose risk Vs risk