Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Medical and Healthcare
Omega

Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Post by Omega »

Hi, everyone,
I want to get myself a good medical kit especially in case of a serious trauma as I go hunting and biking.
I watched videos of medics from the current combat zone and a lot of tourniquets on the market are quite rubbish. There are some good bandages now, typically called Israeli, but again there are a lot of fakes that break
Any recommendations where to buy and how to spot the fakes?
One recommendation I saw was SAM Medical Tactical Tourniquet - they go for £39.74, and I think I want to have a few for all vehicles and my hunting pack, so it may be quite expensive. Do you know good alternatives? Another was RATS (not CATS, apparently, because it does not work well when applied on top of clothes)
Maybe I can buy complete kit from a reputable supplier? Saw a recommendation for Rhino Rescue, which is a Chinese company, but their gear apparently works well. however, I do not see them selling in the UK
Thanks
jansman

Re: Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Post by jansman »

My hunting and fishing trips always have a basic first aid kit. When doing either I am alone. The main item is my smart phone. Not as daft as it sounds. My recent re-training at first aid,and the one before,the instructor hailed them as a useful tool. On your own with an injured person? Loudspeaker on as you talk to 999 crew. Also, your phone number can allow you to be located too. When,like me,you ARE alone, then that’s brilliant!

I say the phone is the main item,and yes it is - after being trained! Proper training allows you to understand how to ADAPT and IMPROVISE. My personal kits are very ,very basic. Basically a plastic bag with a few plasters for cuts and grazes, a ‘trauma’ bandage in case of a serious ‘cut’ and a face shield for resuscitation. That’s it. Anything more needed means getting help,and so we start back with that phone.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:11 am My hunting and fishing trips always have a basic first aid kit. When doing either I am alone. The main item is my smart phone. Not as daft as it sounds. My recent re-training at first aid,and the one before,the instructor hailed them as a useful tool. On your own with an injured person? Loudspeaker on as you talk to 999 crew. Also, your phone number can allow you to be located too. When,like me,you ARE alone, then that’s brilliant!

I say the phone is the main item,and yes it is - after being trained! Proper training allows you to understand how to ADAPT and IMPROVISE. My personal kits are very ,very basic. Basically a plastic bag with a few plasters for cuts and grazes, a ‘trauma’ bandage in case of a serious ‘cut’ and a face shield for resuscitation. That’s it. Anything more needed means getting help,and so we start back with that phone.
Agreed, it's always a good idea to have a phone on you. On my phone you can press the right button and either of the volume buttons at the same time to get a "call the emergency services" button. I think I left it at the hotel last time I went to a gig, as the gig was only 2 minutes walk and I didn't want it to get broken. I do take it on bike rides. My bike first aid kit is minimal, just a few plasters and a bandage. My bugout bag has a fuller one. No torniquets though. I have a Revive Aid in my home kit, but nothing like that in my bugout bag or bike kit. I should get something.

Just ordered this for the bike pannier and one for the bugout bag. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Key-Ring-Rev ... 00YSH9D2C/

I just need tuff cut scissors and tourniquets
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Look at reliance medical tourniquets

Have a scout on here

https://www.spservices.co.uk/shop/searc ... ck=buy_all

Scroll down they do pre made trauma kits
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Omega

Post by Omega »

Agree with you, though with some modifications:
First is common sense not to get into a trouble
Second is signalling like a mobile phone
Third is being in a group to aid each other
Fourth is the knowledge to use the kit
Fifth is the actual kit
I think I am fine with the fist four elements - my friend is GP and he agreed we will train on each other as long as I provide drinks :D . However, he is GP, not an ambulance, so he has general knowledge, but cannot guide on how to differentiate good kit from bad one, especially if they look the same. Any recommendations on the kit and how many to get as I plan using some for training? I am looking at Amazon and then compare with, for example, www.rapidtq.com, and do not know why it costs several times more, and want to believe the quality is the difference
I bought Celox powder several years ago, but things have moved a lot since then...
Many thanks
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

The essential ingredient for a medical kit is training and knowledge.

Over the years I seen some extensive FAKs but sadly the owner often had no real idea how to use it :(
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I take not many can recommend the kit
I did my own research. This is what I found:
1. RATS is probably one of the easiest to use, suitable for children and more compact to use. So, it is the most universal. However, it can cause a permanent damage held as a tourniquet for a long time
2. SAM Medical Tactical Tourniquet is great to use, probably less damaging than RATS, but costs more
3. CATS is the most popular. The most recent generation 7 takes way less rotations than generation 5, so better
I so far concluded that I should use RATS and SAM. And I probably need about 8 RATS and 4 SAMs just in case
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well not many have experience of the kit, or have ever used it in anger,

Have you had any training in relation to catastrophic bleeding or trauma management..and correct TQ application?

The majority of time a decent trauma bandage and direct pressure can do the trick be it a oales modular, a Israeli or a traumafix

If that fails your then onto hemostatics especially in the case of GSW's

Only time I'd immediately slap a TQ on is a MAJOR jet of blood from an upper limb injury as with the femoral you've got about 40 seconds till all the red stuff leaks out
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bleeding is a serious business if it happens isn’t it? However,I read of the prepper/survivalist emphasis on tourniquets. I don’t have one,but could improvise if needed. Why? Well as a butcher for over forty years ,I have seen and experienced some nasty injuries, and I really mean nasty. They’ve never needed a tourniquet though. A trauma bandage has dealt with the worst.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Omega

Post by Omega »

jansman wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:11 am Bleeding is a serious business if it happens isn’t it? However,I read of the prepper/survivalist emphasis on tourniquets. I don’t have one,but could improvise if needed. Why? Well as a butcher for over forty years ,I have seen and experienced some nasty injuries, and I really mean nasty. They’ve never needed a tourniquet though. A trauma bandage has dealt with the worst.
And what if a person does not have much training or forgets everything once injured? I recently watched videos of combat medics - they say they perform very badly when under combat stress, and these are people who were extensively trained and gained lots of practice. They stress the kit should be intuitive as there might be no time to think or improvise