Ropework Books

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
ForgeCorvus

Ropework Books

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A little while back I promised someone ( I can't remember who) that I'd post my preferred books on knots and/or splices.
OK, here they are (Sorry about the wait)

Sailing knots by Geoffrey Budworth ISBN 0600 60096 3 (Hardback)
Has an Index of knots by name plus their primary use, fairly clear pictures and the odd historical or background note.

The Complete book of Knots & Ropework by Eric C Fry ISBN 07153 1831 4
A quite a few more knots then the above, only some of the listed 'knots' are splices. Simple pictures and it covers some Fancy ropework.

The Splicing Handbook 2nd Edition by Barbara Merry with John Darwin ISBN 07136 5801 0
As it says on the tin, mostly about splicing (some info on rope types) Also covers splicing modern ropes which a lot of my other books do very little or don't at all.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
steptoe

Re: Ropework Books

Post by steptoe »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:56 pm A little while back I promised someone ( I can't remember who) that I'd post my preferred books on knots and/or splices.
OK, here they are (Sorry about the wait)

Sailing knots by Geoffrey Budworth ISBN 0600 60096 3 (Hardback)
Has an Index of knots by name plus their primary use, fairly clear pictures and the odd historical or background note.

The Complete book of Knots & Ropework by Eric C Fry ISBN 07153 1831 4
A quite a few more knots then the above, only some of the listed 'knots' are splices. Simple pictures and it covers some Fancy ropework.

The Splicing Handbook 2nd Edition by Barbara Merry with John Darwin ISBN 07136 5801 0
As it says on the tin, mostly about splicing (some info on rope types) Also covers splicing modern ropes which a lot of my other books do very little or don't at all.
I wonder have you been listerning in on the chats my wife and i are having when sat in bed at night lol , i was talking to her about knots and not in a kinky way our days of swinging from the lampshade have long gone , i wanted to find a good book on basic knots i can do a few i do not know their names i know them as hook tying knot and the other is just a genral knot i use to lash things down , i will be sure yo look out book number 2 on your list
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Might have been me as I was asking about learning knots as a precursor to doing a dinghy course (the first step in learning to sail). My local sailing club do this course and I’m planning on doing it this summer.

Thanks, will have a look out for them at the American River shop.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Might have been me, I was after one. Just ordered a second hand copy of the Fry book. Cheers.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:23 pm Might have been me as I was asking about learning knots as a precursor to doing a dinghy course (the first step in learning to sail). My local sailing club do this course and I’m planning on doing it this summer.

Thanks, will have a look out for them at the American River shop.
I think Fry is out of print but only about a fiver or less on Amazon and ebay including postage. I just paid £3.29 on ebay.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I was on the Arthur Beale website a while back as you do when you are dreaming about learning to sail and they had a ‘learn a knot a day’ gift set. I thought about buying it but will just learn from someone at the club….

https://arthurbeale.co.uk/products/prac ... ab-booklet