Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Frnc

Re: Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:33 pm
I don't disagree. it's just a matter of timescales. In geological terms 100 or even 1000 years is nothing. As a species we are probably in for a 5h1tty century or so, with no hope in sight. There will be nations that last longer and even might seem to prosper and there will be nations that will die on someone's primetime TV news.
Took 150 million years for weathering of the Himalayas etc to deplete CO2 in the atmosphere enough to allow the current (Quaternary) ice age to happen. We are still in it, in theory. It started 2.6 million years ago. The glaciation/interglacial cycles are roughly 100,000 years ago. Warming 'only' takes about 4,000 years. Cooling is a lot slower. For some reason the whole of the Quaternary except the last 12,000 years is called Pleistocene, and the last 12,000 years is Holocence. This is the period since the last glaciation. But they are proposing to have a new period called Anthropocene as humans changed the climate.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

XRS001 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:06 pm
Frnc wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:52 pm
XRS001 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:42 pm Attempting to recapture it would be trying to brake the laws of physics.
It's sci fi. They opened a CC plant recently somewhere. A dop in the ocean. You'd need millions of them, an industry as big as any major industry. You need a lot of land for that.
As I have said it breaks the laws of physics. It actually can't be done.

In the same way that the economy cannot be greened with more solar and wind turbines this is called techno-utopianism its led by people like George Monbiot & Mark Lynas. Their dream is for lab grown meat, carbs and oils using GM, hydrogen and solar energy. They have a lobby group in Brussels funded by big pharmaceutical companies who own the technology to do this. Those 2 are massive fans nuclear energy too.

The problem is that all this requires oil..
Hi XRS, Being wary of the no politics/ no conspiracy theory rules here...
I honestly don't know about can't be done, but I concur it won't be done. Not in time. I see us squabbling over resources till we are 7 billion fewer and that probably means if you aren't living in a superpower nation, you are in the fortunate position of not surviving. Oh hum.*
All our green initiatives are just gestures. We need nuclear and we need its peaceful global adoption. Fusion would be nice, but that's jam tomorrow.

*Why prep then?.... to get through the next handful of years, just slightly more prepared and with a tiny bit more dignity than our neighbours?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

[/quote]
*Why prep then?.... to get through the next handful of years, just slightly more prepared and with a tiny bit more dignity than our neighbours?
[/quote]

Exactly so
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I'm not as pessimistic about wind and solar, I think they have a long way to go. I do think electric cars are a waste of resources though. Obviously certain people need cars, and electric is better the petrol. Public transport is a much better solution in cities.
Regarding other energy, insulating houses to a high standard would cut out a lot of energy need.
Population is a problem to some extent, but the population growth is mostly among poor rural people who have a tiny carbon footprint. Urbanisation will cause peak population soon and then it will fall. Rich countries have probems to do with low birth rates, ageing populations. Wrong pensioner to tax payer ratio. Immigration might be a part of the answer to that one.
There is a lot of greenwashing, but wind and solar are cheaper than other forms of generation now. Carbon payback time is a small faction of life, recycling is being developed. Big companies like BP seem to accept that the UK economy will be using a lot less FF in the near future. They want to develop new fields "to help poor countries get off coal. It'll be temporary, honest".
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

ok no onw can prep for th end of days it is impossible to live and exteniction event , preppers are people that want to be prepared for events like food shortage medical shortage or what has just happend covid , i sat on my loo wiping my bum with loo roll and had over 350 in stock hmmm go figure .

If the end of days comes i will not be found sat home protecting my food i will drive the wife and i to a beauty spot a beach or something and open a bottle of southern comfort and sit and drink a toast to human kind for destroying the plant .

but until then i will just keep on preparing for events that i can survive
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:27 am ok no onw can prep for th end of days it is impossible to live and exteniction event , preppers are people that want to be prepared for events like food shortage medical shortage or what has just happend covid , i sat on my loo wiping my bum with loo roll and had over 350 in stock hmmm go figure .

If the end of days comes i will not be found sat home protecting my food i will drive the wife and i to a beauty spot a beach or something and open a bottle of southern comfort and sit and drink a toast to human kind for destroying the plant .

Wisdom comes with age Steptoe.Like me,you are in the Wisdom Club.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

steptoe wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:27 am ok no onw can prep for th end of days it is impossible to live and exteniction event , preppers are people that want to be prepared for events like food shortage medical shortage or what has just happend covid , i sat on my loo wiping my bum with loo roll and had over 350 in stock hmmm go figure .

but until then i will just keep on preparing for events that i can survive⁹
350 loo rolls is a tremendous waste of space. You know you can grow plants like mullein to wipe your bottom
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:56 am

Wisdom sometimes comes with age, sometimes with experience, sometimes both

I haven't yet found a prepper with all 3..
I see lot of opinions
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

XRS001 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:21 am

but until then i will just keep on preparing for events that i can survive⁹
350 loo rolls is a tremendous waste of space. You know you can grow plants like mullein to wipe your bottom
Well 350 is our base line of loo rolls to be honest sometimes it is a little more sometimes a little less , the storage area they take up is on the top shelving in the storage area where there is little light to grow plants , i do grow huge amounts of plants we use to run 2 allotments at one point thne got a huge garden and have poly tunnel an d greenhouse and raised beds and well a lot more .
As to the point of other ways to wipe yes there are many but having to raise more plants when my health can take a hit anytime and leavce me unable to tend them would mean we could end with nothign to wipe with , as to waste of space no we fill spaces that would otherwise stand empty , like the garage racks i have many cooking ways on shelves in there i have fuel for them also from paraffin to gas and so on i have other ways to cook as well in theg arden wood burner and bbq's i prepare for as much as possible i do not think you can be ready for ever event but again our aim is to make life easier in an event so hence food ,water , heating , cooking ,lighting , medical we try and cover all them , but i always listen to advice and if i feel it is worth acting on i do like solar and battery stations andy has pointed me with that and as have others here so again to listen to advice costs me nothing other than a little time but it may well be good advice
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:56 am

LOL well the wife would say i am not with money but then again lol , in truth your right but as a teen i was a well lets just say not a nice person but as i age i have learnt listen to advice can help you , i am a 8uuger for wanting to learn and keep my brain busy since my accident i try very hard , and like you i know you are fighting a terrible battle mate and while i was fighting mine i think it taught me if you go through life kicking and screaming you get nothing , but again i think my illness also taught me a lot, a smile and a kind word can do so much good .
I will say prepping came about from being a boy scout and from my illness really as my wife use to go to work after i was told i could never work again i felt useless to her so i found something i could do cook a meal clean the house and then it was have things in place for bad events ie a basic hospital bag sat in the bedroom for when i was dragged off and we then when the wife got sick sorted her a bag ready to go , then i started saying hmmm we need to have extra food in to save us going out so much in winter and then hence the stock grew , when we moved here and we knew it was our home that we could do as we please it has grown , when we lived in a council flat it was harder but now well i just say it is our little castle .

To all new preppers reading posts here there is a huge font of knowledge to use here , and i will say as i always do never spend beyond what you can afford