What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by grenfell »

To be honest I don't know.
When I used the old flour I tried bread simply because if it came out inedible I wouldn't have wasted anything else like butter , eggs or sugar. There have been another couple of occasions of old flour. One was when I was clearing my parent's house. There was a bag of flour in a tupperware tub , I'm not sure how old it was but it was teeming with life in the form of mites. Surprisingly enough that didn't get used. Another was a bag of rye flour that was out of date but nowhere near the 17 years. I again tried bread with it and again it didn't rise very well at all to which it was dubbed dwarf battle bread by some friends (Terry Prachett reference) . It actually didn't taste bad at all but needed to be eaten really slowly allowing a piece to soften in the mouth for a time...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lidl trip had 50% off middle isle so 16 rechargeables for £7.99

And postman pat came with 100x batteries 10 years shelf life
IMG_20231208_215943019_MFNR.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:03 pm Lidl trip had 50% off middle isle so 16 rechargeables for £7.99
Hopefully I'm getting a car next week, and there's a spanking new Lidl been built on the outskirts of the town next to me - shame this deal won't last, but I'll check every week from now on :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:27 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:03 pm Lidl trip had 50% off middle isle so 16 rechargeables for £7.99
Hopefully I'm getting a car next week, and there's a spanking new Lidl been built on the outskirts of the town next to me - shame this deal won't last, but I'll check every week from now on :)
Congratulations on the car :mrgreen:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:42 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:27 am
Congratulations on the car :mrgreen:
Thanks! It's a bit "two steps forward, one back" - I really liked the Toyota dealer I went to see on Thursday, but the only ones they've still got for sale are £3k over my self-imposed limit :shock: so I'm going to another chain of dealers - I'll phone them Monday, and hopefully I can still finish things *next* Thursday, they have three times the stock in the chain. I'm learning so much, I tell you :lol:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/rev ... id=ios_app

If you are that way inclined, CNN are reviewing the best BOBs over in the States, some you can get on the South American river site.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Well 2023 has tested us to breaking point
Preps this week and the next few months arent going to be easy
Came home Saturday to absolute destruction
Pipe had burst upstairs in bathroom kitchen ceiling had gone and its a ruddy big kitchen the devastation was total
Everything was under water no power as it was dark only 4 o clock but still very dark trying to get all water out turn off water etc..YORKSHIRE ANDY thank you for the millions of links to torches that I bought in secret and had about 20 upstairs used every one of them and the thousand batteries I had
JANSMAN thank you for telling us how you prep with #ancer as the insurance papers and everything were in a safe place upstairs and kept up to date with
We have lost everything downstairs apart from the TV which we cant use anyhow I have a electrician friend who came immediately also made safe for us
The crap that had come down with the ceiling mixed into water and has left sludge all over
Mr GGs chemo floating all white goods have blown lost the whole kitchen both lots of flooring in living room and kitchen
Just as I was getting ready to have it valued ..oven hob the lot ..the extractor fan fell off the wall later that night around 3 am just to make sure we weren't sleeping and trying to rest ..

Yes we have insurance but until the surveyor comes out we dont know how they will want to rip us off fortunately son is financial manager for a cluster of schools knows his stuff he will help ..but even so it won't be a payment immediately
The universe has a sick sense of humor as we are on a water meter too so ill be ringing today to make a interim payment
Already checked on that can get it capped at £120.00 due to Mr GG but thats it

Cat was found terrified upstairs ..
How many things do I put on the floor ..plugs that have been unplugged ..cat food in boxes . Washing powder ...all the stuff you put under the sink..shoes ..carrier bags ..
The stuff on worktops..my diary with all hospitals dates etc ..the veg I had .. kettle microwave toaster..surprising when you see whats on a worktop if a ceiling and gallons of water come down..

Emergency . Yes ..insurance ..First full working day someone will come
Check insurance
Yep it does say that note to self find one that arrives immediately next time and I hope there isn't a blooming next time
Sofa dead so sat on garden chairs ..table and chairs gone ..

Offers of help from people so kind ..but as I've no floors to put anything on no point really

Sooo im sat here in the midst of what looks like the aftermath of some shtf apocalyptic scenario ..and I'm laughing at the astonishment of my daughter who thought I was a total raving lunatic .. the torches the preps the phone calls and paperwork
She said all hers shoved in bottom drawer in kitchen she would have lost all that too ...she bought herself torches and has moved her stuff upstairs ..some good from it

I said it would have probably been better if their damned star next door had blown the bloody house to smithereens but they get away with it this yr again ..unless it happens today 🙄..my battery operated radio is playing merry Xmas I think ill miss this one this yr ..yep !

Well people i will get a cuppa to mr GG as the camping stove and gas bottles help .. get on the phone at 9 for more chemo for him ...he was a plasterer for 40 yr before this horrendous disease decided it was going to take him but he may still be around when the plasterers come to overboard and do their job
Oh dear 😂
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You got all of us with you pet, we all feel for you. And the thing to hang onto it - you're both ok. The cat is ok. (seriously, the cats family too so your wee family is all safe). You can make tea and sit on something to drink it. You had Andy's torches etc that helped..
It sounds like survival in the Blitz or something - after this you will truly be a Master of prepping!
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:01 am Well 2023 has tested us to breaking point
Preps this week and the next few months arent going to be easy
Came home Saturday to absolute destruction
Pipe had burst upstairs in bathroom kitchen ceiling had gone and its a ruddy big kitchen the devastation was total
Everything was under water no power as it was dark only 4 o clock but still very dark trying to get all water out turn off water etc..YORKSHIRE ANDY thank you for the millions of links to torches that I bought in secret and had about 20 upstairs used every one of them and the thousand batteries I had
JANSMAN thank you for telling us how you prep with #ancer as the insurance papers and everything were in a safe place upstairs and kept up to date with
We have lost everything downstairs apart from the TV which we cant use anyhow I have a electrician friend who came immediately also made safe for us
The crap that had come down with the ceiling mixed into water and has left sludge all over
Mr GGs chemo floating all white goods have blown lost the whole kitchen both lots of flooring in living room and kitchen
Just as I was getting ready to have it valued ..oven hob the lot ..the extractor fan fell off the wall later that night around 3 am just to make sure we weren't sleeping and trying to rest ..

Yes we have insurance but until the surveyor comes out we dont know how they will want to rip us off fortunately son is financial manager for a cluster of schools knows his stuff he will help ..but even so it won't be a payment immediately
The universe has a sick sense of humor as we are on a water meter too so ill be ringing today to make a interim payment
Already checked on that can get it capped at £120.00 due to Mr GG but thats it

Cat was found terrified upstairs ..
How many things do I put on the floor ..plugs that have been unplugged ..cat food in boxes . Washing powder ...all the stuff you put under the sink..shoes ..carrier bags ..
The stuff on worktops..my diary with all hospitals dates etc ..the veg I had .. kettle microwave toaster..surprising when you see whats on a worktop if a ceiling and gallons of water come down..

Emergency . Yes ..insurance ..First full working day someone will come
Check insurance
Yep it does say that note to self find one that arrives immediately next time and I hope there isn't a blooming next time
Sofa dead so sat on garden chairs ..table and chairs gone ..

Offers of help from people so kind ..but as I've no floors to put anything on no point really

Sooo im sat here in the midst of what looks like the aftermath of some shtf apocalyptic scenario ..and I'm laughing at the astonishment of my daughter who thought I was a total raving lunatic .. the torches the preps the phone calls and paperwork
She said all hers shoved in bottom drawer in kitchen she would have lost all that too ...she bought herself torches and has moved her stuff upstairs ..some good from it

I said it would have probably been better if their damned star next door had blown the bloody house to smithereens but they get away with it this yr again ..unless it happens today 🙄..my battery operated radio is playing merry Xmas I think ill miss this one this yr ..yep !

Well people i will get a cuppa to mr GG as the camping stove and gas bottles help .. get on the phone at 9 for more chemo for him ...he was a plasterer for 40 yr before this horrendous disease decided it was going to take him but he may still be around when the plasterers come to overboard and do their job
Oh dear 😂
I'd rather have a fire than a burst pipe / flood :shock:

Hope your both bearing up with the extra hassle and stress

Have a word with Yorkshire water they have a relief scheme for just this issue... If not add it to your losses as your going via insurance..
Screenshot_20231218-071502.png

Screenshot_20231218-071522.png
Biggest issue you will have is drying out the fabric of the building insurance company will probably send out a industrial cleaner type firm who will fetch in industrial dehumidifiers.. so be aware to have meter readings / last years bills to claim for the extra electricity

Start a list of appliances that are damaged and serial numbers usually a sticker on the back and if you have them the receipts .. Photograph everything but don't dump anything outside until the man has visited if the local tinkers help themselves to the "scrap" they won't pay out on the lost items

Start shopping on line for prices the insurance co often uses approved suppliers you don't have to use them and don't settle for a lower specification appliances

Try and be cheeky and get a interim payment for a dehumidifier or 2 try the it'll probably be cheaper than renting them mate approach

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ebac-powerdr ... 553?tc=AA3

Kind of job I swear by ebac they are UK made and get the drain kit as you'll get sick of emptying it I got mine from someone who was flooded for £50 :mrgreen:

jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh dear! There’s nothing I can say GeeGee. It goes from bad to worse. I am so glad you’ve got insurance and suchlike sorted. I do hope hubby gets sorted swiftly with his chemo.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.