What temperature do you have your house.

Homes and Retreats
grenfell

What temperature do you have your house.

Post by grenfell »

We've had relatives over as is common at christmas . They did complain that they thought our house was colder than they are used to. We have the thermostat set at 18 degrees and at the time of the moaning it was 18.5 and rising as we had the woodburner lit Generally the house stays at 16-18 degrees during the day ( except for the downstairs toilet that's adjacent to the garage , unheated ,and is currently 7 degrees) , it's insulated and has south facing windows so we rarely have the heating on in the daytime. Our guests said their place is heated to 22degrees which seems pretty warm.
Frnc

Re: What temperature do you have your house.

Post by Frnc »

Living room is about 17-17.5, but that room is rarely used. Because I have lodgers, we stick to our bedrooms mostly. I try to keep them at about 19.0-19.5. Sometimes they are a bit lower - obviously first thing in the morning the are. If they go over 19.5 I tend to turn the c/h thermostat down a bit, probably just 0.5°.
korolev

Post by korolev »

it's set to 18.5 in the day, drops to 15 at 2200 and 10 from 2200-0800 (we're not early risers, to say the least). Had a load of work done to the house with a big set of french doors in the kitchen/diner and it feels a bit taters in there.
In the past we've had it set to 20/21 because we were too lazy to go and get jumpers :oops:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:14 am We've had relatives over as is common at christmas . They did complain that they thought our house was colder than they are used to. We have the thermostat set at 18 degrees and at the time of the moaning it was 18.5 and rising as we had the woodburner lit Generally the house stays at 16-18 degrees during the day ( except for the downstairs toilet that's adjacent to the garage , unheated ,and is currently 7 degrees) , it's insulated and has south facing windows so we rarely have the heating on in the daytime. Our guests said their place is heated to 22degrees which seems pretty warm.
Been cutting back dramatically this month.
Stat in the hall slowly brings the core temp to about 18. Lounge with door shut settles between about 20 and 21.
Central heating only.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Mine goes off by 9.30 or 9.50 Mon - Thurs and Sunday (I can't remember exactly), about 10.30 on a Friday and Saturday night. It goes to 13, the lowest the room got to was 14 when it was -11 outside.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just got in from the workshop. Therefore I am wearing overalls,woolly gear and my standard woolly hat. :lol: So I am warm. Mrs J has the stove going,and it’s almost 20 * in the living room- definitely warm enough! No heating anywhere else,and mainly cos The Duchess - as usual - has the windows open all over the house for fresh air. Went for a shower,window open and 12.5 all over upstairs. Under,wash and put on myjoggies and jumper,and my standard * thin* hat. In the living room and smashing! Nobody will suffer. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

grenfell wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:14 am We've had relatives over as is common at christmas . They did complain that they thought our house was colder than they are used to. We have the thermostat set at 18 degrees and at the time of the moaning it was 18.5 and rising as we had the woodburner lit Generally the house stays at 16-18 degrees during the day ( except for the downstairs toilet that's adjacent to the garage , unheated ,and is currently 7 degrees) , it's insulated and has south facing windows so we rarely have the heating on in the daytime. Our guests said their place is heated to 22degrees which seems pretty warm.
Well it all depends on the age of the person in question , we rarely put our heat on until november and december but the amount of neighbours who come in and say wow you got your heat on lol , the re4ason we thinks is we have solar reflective windows and had the house clad due to it being an old 1930 semi and well damp and cold , since the cladding well the house stays toasty , the first winter we had the heating running mid to high these days in winter we only ever turn it up on very cold days ie if it drops below 0 outside we might move it of the lowest setting but our house runs around the 18 ish but sometimes we like it cooler as mrs is going through the change and i suffer over heating issues.

We have a downstairs loo to and no heat in there it wasa ice box in winter so i put one of them little tube heaters in there just a little 2ft one they are like a light bulb on power use i forget i think either 60 or 120 watt if we have people coming not that we do but if we do we just pop that on and when the door is left close well you walk in to a heat box lol
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

If it's zero outside I'll pop the heating on and light the woodburner, otherwise I'll put a hat on and grab a hot water bottle.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This house sits between 24/25c.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:48 pm This house sits between 24/25c.
You surprise me Lil. I'd have thought that as a Scottish lass, you'd be much more acclimated to the colder Northern weather. That's the sort of temperature we used to maintain last year.
The house... Not just the lounge? May I ask what sort of heating you use? I'm guessing you don't lounge around indoors with hat and gloves on, which some of our fellow members really do... surprisingly.
That must need heating on most of the year?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong