Increasing pension payments vs paying more into an ISA

For all things financial
Arzosah

Re: Increasing pension payments vs paying more into an ISA

Post by Arzosah »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:40 pm I'll have a look at those company bonds - thanks - I'm assuming it's the same thing as corporate bonds?

I do have lots of little bits of crypto too - mainly that I've accumulated for free - but if bitcoin gets to a mill then I'm all set! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Corporate bonds, yes, absolutely, d'oh.

You have a bit of crypto! Coo ... good for you! I've never touched it, I have *no* clue.

As for pensions, one reason I don't have a huge amount is that when I was setting things up, I didn't know anyone with a personal pension, I didn't understand them, and information wasn't as available as it is now. As a young working class woman who'd fallen into a well-paid middle class job, I was very isolated in financial terms.

That box under the bed feels a lot safer! It's mostly metaphorical for me, that's kind of what my premium bonds are - if I can't cash them in, we'll have bigger problems than that.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Until I've figured it all out, in the interim (and to make me feel better) I've set up a regular standing order to buy more Premium Bonds. Not that I've ever been lucky - I've won the grand total of £25! :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's good! Somebody gets picked at random to get the million pounds prizes, and at the very least, you'll get your capital back when you want it for something else.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:34 am Until I've figured it all out, in the interim (and to make me feel better) I've set up a regular standing order to buy more Premium Bonds. Not that I've ever been lucky - I've won the grand total of £25! :lol:
I've "won" £650 this year. every little helps.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

I have both, but push most into my pension. I have to as I didn't start my pension till 2015 and i'm almost 50.

My pension is not far off what I have paid in % wise and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bijela wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:52 pm I have both, but push most into my pension. I have to as I didn't start my pension till 2015 and i'm almost 50.

My pension is not far off what I have paid in % wise and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
Mine has lost a massive % and frankly it’s an issue now ( for me) Yes,it makes a higher % than ISA. However,our ISA’s are cash. Now I am using them ,let’s say, as a Prepper. But of course,it’s all individual.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:23 pm
Mine has lost a massive % and frankly it’s an issue now ( for me) Yes,it makes a higher % than ISA. However,our ISA’s are cash. Now I am using them ,let’s say, as a Prepper. But of course,it’s all individual.
My ISA is stocks and shares which is new. Since I opened on the 20th Sept is struggling at +5.49% vs my GIA at +12.26% for the year. So at least its not below inflation. I've lost 0.5% on what I have so far swapped from the GIA over to the ISA as I have had to paid the stamp duty again. I'm not sure how long cash ISA will get a high interest. If we get a hard recession then the rate could drop just as quick as its been rising.

My variable mortgage has jumped up loads this year. We have it covered, but I can see a lot of people getting a big surprise when they come off a fixed.