Is this real

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
jennyjj01

Re: Is this real

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:07 pm There was me saying to the wife ok lets get a new washing machine one of them you can add stuff and one that makes ironing easier hon i think you deserve it lol it will make washing easier for us lol with the idea that if she did i was having the old one in bits bare in mind it hardly gets use only 2 of us and it is less than 5 years old lol .
Exactly the kind of time and resource wastage that these scammers cause.

Really don't bother.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:48 pm
steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:07 pm There was me saying to the wife ok lets get a new washing machine one of them you can add stuff and one that makes ironing easier hon i think you deserve it lol it will make washing easier for us lol with the idea that if she did i was having the old one in bits bare in mind it hardly gets use only 2 of us and it is less than 5 years old lol .
Exactly the kind of time and resource wastage that these scammers cause.

Really don't bother.
No jen i have past on the idea , but i am always on the look out for things hence the name it tells you i am always looking at skips with bright eyes , lol no joke i have irish and welsh in me and the wife said i am either a welsh witch or a irish traveller or a bit of both lol , i have a uncle whos feet never stop moving .

I am just trying to find ways to get energy for free , i have some folding solar panels now only about 4ft long by 18 inch wide but enough to charge the power stations and power banks , next year i am goingto look more at solar and battery but this year is just a learning curve .

I can highly recommend the foodsaver vacuum sealer bloody hell it sucked the life out of the porridge and the flour i mean turn them in to bricks , i am going to also be doing some jar sealing with it and i am making a big btach of elderberry syrup with ginger , clove cinnamon in i use the miniture milk bottles to put it in but will pop the bottle in the sealer jar and do your trick and see if sucking the air out keeps it longer in the fridge i get around 3 months so lets see
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:24 pm I am just trying to find ways to get energy for free , i have some folding solar panels now only about 4ft long by 18 inch wide but enough to charge the power stations and power banks , next year i am goingto look more at solar and battery but this year is just a learning curve .
A tip or two on that..... Charging a few powerbanks or whatever is easy and handy as a resiliance thing, but not very cost effective.You can charge dozens of USB devices dozens, even hundreds of times, just off the mains for a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for a small solar kit. If you are frugal like me, you need to watch out for and be ready to snatch up some big, pre-owned panels. They pop up from time to time on Facebook Marketplace. Prices are on the rise, but bargains show up and you can set alerts. Look to pay something less than 50p per nominal Watt of panel capacity. E.g. £80 for a 200W panel, or maybe £150 for a 400W. Get to know a little about panel voltages. Two of my panels were brand new in box campervan kits at a fraction of retail. The other two were pre-owned from a barge. I aimed to have my panels pay for themselves in 4 years or less.
I can highly recommend the foodsaver vacuum sealer bloody hell it sucked the life out of the porridge and the flour i mean turn them in to bricks , i am going to also be doing some jar sealing with it and i am making a big btach of elderberry syrup with ginger , clove cinnamon in i use the miniture milk bottles to put it in but will pop the bottle in the sealer jar and do your trick and see if sucking the air out keeps it longer in the fridge i get around 3 months so lets see
Revisit those 'bricks' every 6 months. Sometimes they leak and go soft. Also, double seal the bags. Don't buy the cheapest ones. I get mine from Lidl from time to time. The bigger the roll, the less you waste.

ps. Steptoe..... Tonight was another broth/birds nest soup supper. Love it! I'm getting a freezer shelf of Farmfood whole chickens this week. Cheap as chips.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 pm
steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:24 pm I am just trying to find ways to get energy for free , i have some folding solar panels now only about 4ft long by 18 inch wide but enough to charge the power stations and power banks , next year i am goingto look more at solar and battery but this year is just a learning curve .
A tip or two on that..... Charging a few powerbanks or whatever is easy and handy as a resiliance thing, but not very cost effective.You can charge dozens of USB devices dozens, even hundreds of times, just off the mains for a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for a small solar kit. If you are frugal like me, you need to watch out for and be ready to snatch up some big, pre-owned panels. They pop up from time to time on Facebook Marketplace. Prices are on the rise, but bargains show up and you can set alerts. Look to pay something less than 50p per nominal Watt of panel capacity. E.g. £80 for a 200W panel, or maybe £150 for a 400W. Get to know a little about panel voltages. Two of my panels were brand new in box campervan kits at a fraction of retail. The other two were pre-owned from a barge. I aimed to have my panels pay for themselves in 4 years or less.
Revisit those 'bricks' every 6 months. Sometimes they leak and go soft. Also, double seal the bags. Don't buy the cheapest ones. I get mine from Lidl from time to time. The bigger the roll, the less you waste.

ps. Steptoe..... Tonight was another broth/birds nest soup supper. Love it! I'm getting a freezer shelf of Farmfood whole chickens this week. Cheap as chips.
Hi jen the solar panel heheh came as a a freebie well 2 , i have a few of the smaller 600w power station again came free and free is good in my books like i say steptoe by name me lol .
The chickens at farmfoods are good to we found that sainsburys chickens have been a bit fat of late we roasted a fresh one the day it came and had a huge amount of fat left over and as we do nto use fat well try and use less health reason i soak bread in it and the old cat food and thne put that out for the fox alone with the boiled bones once they are soaked inthe fat the foxx loves them , oh and the strays .
The farmfood chickens have been less fat in the dish after cooking so figuring less fatty birds i could be wrong but we like them so buy 6 at a time and well we are now stocked bar small bits to lats al ong time now , on the note of the vacuum sealer yes your right you have to watch the quality of the bags i go for the thickest and the one with the cross backing and the writeable labels on .
I leant with out old machine cheap bags do not hold the air out , i sealed some cup a soup hmm 6 years ago and they are still solid we had some the other night in bed lol yup we have a full tea/coffe making kit upstairs saves coming up and down at night , we also now use a 1 boil kettle and then fill the thermos stainless steel jug again one up on e down so we try to boil kettles less .

Thanks for all the advice on the energy stuff as i say i hit the ground running andy has been a little font of knowledge and if knowledge is free i always listne you can listen for free if you never use the knowledge it cost you nothing
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:05 pm Hi jen the solar panel heheh came as a a freebie well 2 , i have a few of the smaller 600w power station again came free and free is good in my books like i say steptoe by name me lol .
How the devil did you blag those for free??? Several hundreds of pounds worth?
The chickens at farmfoods are good ...
The farmfood chickens have been less fat in the dish after cooking so figuring less fatty birds i could be wrong but we like them so buy 6 at a time and well we are now stocked bar small bits to lats along time now
I was a bit wary, but they are fixed price and weights vary up to 1.6kg. The per kilo price is on par with drumsticks, so the breast meat is a bonus.