water

How are you preparing
nickdutch

water

Post by nickdutch »

Ordered enough water purification tablets to last for 2000 litres which should be ok. I have a local stream and a distiller. Hopefully that will be enough. Now its just a question of going back to food stores.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
rik_uk3

Re: water

Post by rik_uk3 »

I've got one of these

https://berkey-waterfilters.co.uk/colle ... ter-system

If you don't have tablet use this guideline
water bleach.JPG
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:59 am I've got one of these

https://berkey-waterfilters.co.uk/colle ... ter-system

If you don't have tablet use this guideline

water bleach.JPG
Assuming your bleach is fairly new. If you've had the bottle over a year, I'd double up on those dosages.

Interesting note, the bottle of Morrison's thick bleach that we're currently using is marked "Not for emergency use" ...... Nice of them to tell folks
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Keep unopened bleach in a cool dark place and its good for about a year the drops by 15%-20% a year. If you steralize water with bleach in a sealed container the water is good for two years.

If your using river/stream/lake water its worth running it through something like a Millbank bag to clear out debris before you filter.

All preppers should have something like this (shop around for best price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Product ... 12483&th=1

I went for the Berkey to use at home and at bushcraft meets and I could clean water for all of us quickly and easily. At our last house the water board replaced all the Victorian pipes that were still in place, a row on nine houses and it was very useful then because within 20m of the back door was a fast flowing stream :)
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

Where are people buying their bleach from? All I can find in supermarkets is scented and or thick, neither of which are suitable.
jansman

Post by jansman »

tarmactatt wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:02 pm Where are people buying their bleach from? All I can find in supermarkets is scented and or thick, neither of which are suitable.
They don’t stock much,but you can get 2 Litre thin bleach from Sainsbury. Or you could back in the Summer when I stocked up. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:53 am
tarmactatt wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:02 pm Where are people buying their bleach from? All I can find in supermarkets is scented and or thick, neither of which are suitable.
They don’t stock much,but you can get 2 Litre thin bleach from Sainsbury. Or you could back in the Summer when I stocked up. ;)
Think they might be low or out of stock, only 2 l one one their website is thick citrus.

I use Milton to steralise, then just plain water. I suppose you could use Milton in the stored water, but I don't know the dosage. Another idea might be to use a puri tab in the stored water. I just swap it out every 6 -12 months.

Tesco do an Everyday Thin Bleach 2l, but is out of stock.

Staples do:
2Work Thin Bleach in an Economical 5 Litre Bottle £4.03 but is £9.02 including delivery

Puri tabs shelf life is usually getting on for 5 years so I keep quite a few of those, some small for water bottles, some larger for 10l containers.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:51 am
jansman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:53 am
Think they might be low or out of stock, only 2 l one one their website is thick citrus.

I use Milton to steralise, then just plain water. I suppose you could use Milton in the stored water, but I don't know the dosage. Another idea might be to use a puri tab in the stored water. I just swap it out every 6 -12 months.

Tesco do an Everyday Thin Bleach 2l, but is out of stock.

Staples do:
2Work Thin Bleach in an Economical 5 Litre Bottle £4.03 but is £9.02 including delivery

Puri tabs shelf life is usually getting on for 5 years so I keep quite a few of those, some small for water bottles, some larger for 10l containers.
In fairness,I can buy it in 5 litre bottles from work if needed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.