EMP baking tray Faraday cage

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
reciloy

EMP baking tray Faraday cage

Post by reciloy »

Can anybody advise on the follow idea of an EMP protective case for sensitive electronically equipment like SSDs/HDDs please.

The idea being to clasp together two identical oven trays, to form a box:
HTB1T_icXsnrK1RjSspkq6yuvXXa2.jpg
Then to use aluminium tape to seal around the edges.

Naturally there would have to be a non-conductive inner lining, but that essentially should be sufficient to protect against ~50dB ?

Any thoughts please ?
GillyBee

Re: EMP baking tray Faraday cage

Post by GillyBee »

It should work. It will work better if earthed. i.e. attached to a wire or metal rod buried into the ground. Your mains water pipes should be earthed so you could also attach to an unpainted mains pipe.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Set up
Place your mobile inside ring it if it rings its not working.

Or
Use a old well made saucepan with metal lid , car boot, charity shop type and again place phone in pan ect,ect.
Fill er up jacko...
korolev

Post by korolev »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:41 am It should work. It will work better if earthed. i.e. attached to a wire or metal rod buried into the ground. Your mains water pipes should be earthed so you could also attach to an unpainted mains pipe.
Don't count on incoming water pipe being earthed very well, it may be plastic.

Better off banging an earth spike into the ground; you need a 3 foot long bit of sturdy bare metal (angle iron or copper pipe). Dig a foot deep hole, bang the metal in, refill hole, leaving 3-4 inches sticking out.

Funny story; 30+ yuears ago we had a very hot/dry summer and I got given a job to go fix someone's phone reported as "bell not ringing".
The particular setup was a former shared service and so had earth ringing, rather than return leg.
I tested it and, sure enough, very weak ring. I asked the bloke if he had a watering can. He said "are you taking the p... ?"
I went outside, watered his earth spike with a couple of cans and, hey presto, it rang again.
Swaggered into the sunset leaving a happy, but bemused, customer.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Many thanks for the replies.

To earth the system I could just leave it on the ground floor. Although, that wouldn't necessarily make it "work better", only prevent me from getting a shock, after an event.

The thing difficult thing for me is to measure the level of dB protection that a DIY system can ensure, without specific tools. Even if a mobile signal is blocked, what would that mean ?

I believe that nesting is the answer, and I am looking for a cloth based solution as the rigid oven trays don't nest.

I did think about a kitchen pot (I thought that I was the only one, of course), along with a paint pot, and shall explore these options, but would like to know how to measure them.

My goal is to achieve around 50dB of protection, but ideally over 100dB would be best.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

korolev wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:22 am
GillyBee wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:41 am It should work. It will work better if earthed. i.e. attached to a wire or metal rod buried into the ground. Your mains water pipes should be earthed so you could also attach to an unpainted mains pipe.
Don't count on incoming water pipe being earthed very well, it may be plastic.

Better off banging an earth spike into the ground; you need a 3 foot long bit of sturdy bare metal (angle iron or copper pipe). Dig a foot deep hole, bang the metal in, refill hole, leaving 3-4 inches sticking out.

Funny story; 30+ yuears ago we had a very hot/dry summer and I got given a job to go fix someone's phone reported as "bell not ringing".
The particular setup was a former shared service and so had earth ringing, rather than return leg.
I tested it and, sure enough, very weak ring. I asked the bloke if he had a watering can. He said "are you taking the p... ?"
I went outside, watered his earth spike with a couple of cans and, hey presto, it rang again.
Swaggered into the sunset leaving a happy, but bemused, customer.

Seen that done by a sparky with a scoop of salt for good measure doing a eicr testing the earth loop impedance the ze went from crap to great
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

reciloy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:40 pm

To earth the system I could just leave it on the ground floor. Although, that wouldn't necessarily make it "work better", only prevent me from getting a shock, after an event.

No the grounding will help dissipate any charge to ground from static build up nothing to do with you not getting a shock....

Might be worth picking the bones out of this

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/ground ... aday-cage/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Thanks for the link !

I wonder then, should I place my SSDs/HDDs in an ESD bag, so that after opening the Faraday case, the transfer of static is resisted.

I suppose, before I open the box, even for routine access, I would clasp a radiator with my hand ?
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

What are you storing the computers you'll need to use with the SSD et al?
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.