EMP baking tray Faraday cage

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
reciloy

Re: EMP baking tray Faraday cage

Post by reciloy »

The body is not the issue, the mind is.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well if you do it you must not let the item inside touch the metal of the tray or it will just fry anyway , i madea great box got a cheap wooden box of the bay , then lined it with neoprene self adhesive sheeting and the outside i covered with emp cloth it works , i got the box big enough to store a mini laptop and some hard drives and flash keys all with info on books musicand so on , i will also put in a couple of wind up torches and a few other bits i used this because i fitted the cloth so it touches when the lid is closed and i just pull down clasps to close the lid tight .

I will try and do some pictures but it was cheapish to make and as i say loads of room for bits and bobs i am also making boxes that will take my power banks and power stations and have made a cloth bag of he emp that fits over my gennie i want to keep as much running after any emp .

I know we all think it will never happen but how many said putin would never do what he has and well it never hurts to be ready .
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Benjamin Franklin's experiments from 1755 showed that an externally charged container would be internally shielded. The only reason to add a non-conductive interior lining would be to shield antennas e.g. walkie-talkie.

Further, the shielding of metal woven fabric is not as reliable as a solid conductor such as aluminium foil. Foil will achieve over 50dB resistance to the 500MHz frequency, which is what begins to affect ICs.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Ok i am interested in this because i have built a faraday box and lined it and so on but i just read that using something as basic as a thermal food delivery bag or the likes the ones that have the aluminim lining as long as you put your device in wrapped in a cloth or you line the bag with foam to stop the itemn touching the foil it will get a fair bit of protection unless you where at the epicneter of the strike , also a house or grage with a metal roof should protect as long at it is grounded note to self ground the storage roof lol .

Now i am not good on this stuff so hope if it is wrong you can tell me , i am thinking all my stuff i want to save i am goign to buy thermal insulated bags and hence put my gennie in and batteries , we do have a few hundred aa and aaas and 9 v in a proper stoarge bag in case and a lot of rehargerables in the hope that if it happen we would be able to use them , i am also trying to make a solar charging system for the batteries that i can throw in the bag and hence again if it even happens we have stuff in store
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Grounding doesn't do anything you need.

The whole point of a Faraday box is to protect what is inside of it, like the experiments with the person inside the cage protected from the lightning bolts generated outside of it.

If you have anything with a radio then it may be on the safe side to prevent contact, but the rest should be fine.

Line it if you want. But make sure that the exterior shell is complete, with no gaps, that is your shield.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

So, you've shielded your phones, computer, hard drives, USB sticks now how will you produce power to actually get them going again? Have you stored the charge controller for your solar panels? How about your microwave oven because odds are that won't survive an EMP burst, your electronic wrist watch? Your TV? Basically anything with a circuit board stands a good chance of failing.

If it got down to a nuclear exchange, even a handful of strikes on the UK and if you survive your going to have to rely on a lot of more basic skills to survive.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

A digital record of the human that didn’t survive could survive forever.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:50 pm So, you've shielded your phones, computer, hard drives, USB sticks now how will you produce power to actually get them going again? Have you stored the charge controller for your solar panels? How about your microwave oven because odds are that won't survive an EMP burst, your electronic wrist watch? Your TV? Basically anything with a circuit board stands a good chance of failing.

If it got down to a nuclear exchange, even a handful of strikes on the UK and if you survive your going to have to rely on a lot of more basic skills to survive.
I have my gennies in faraday bags , i also have around 200 rechargable aa batteries along with cov=nvertors in a box i am also now working on solar charging batteries in a small way for now but will work out how to do it better , also the radio is for listerning hopefully to music one day but also i have ways to play cd's but i am saving music to hard drives so i can play it and so on, a squirrel does not put all hit nuts in one place a bit like me i am making many ways to do stuff so if one fails i have a back up , but as to things failing yes board may fail and so on but think like this if i have a soldiering iron and can find the parts i could fix mine , but i am hoping that i can get music mainly lol and books to read , yes i would like hard copies but then if i have 10 thou on a drive where could i put hard copies in a real world
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Books, music, films and even games have caused many a heated argument on bushcraft/prepper forums over the years; personally I'm all for them as a boost to mental health if it hits the fan.

I rip films to a home network (NAS) together with music, store a lot on portable drives for secure backup. I've realistically got more ebooks than I could ever read but the rationale for storing them is that others may find them useful in times of need; bit like a first aid kit, always have 'stuff' you can't use but others with the necessary skills could employ to help others.

The beauty of ebooks is you can share them with chums via email ;)
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Trade and friendship in times of strife can never be undervalued.