Small/cheap equipment

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
rik_uk3

Re: Small/cheap equipment

Post by rik_uk3 »

Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:47 am
rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:26 am Bistro stoves are OK but remember if you are using the standard butane cartidges they will stop working at around +5c. The more expensive cartridges are a tri gas mis of propane/butane/isobutane and work better in cold temps.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3408252 ... az:1:287:2 shop on ebay and you can get 16 for £28. They will all burn for a total of around 120mins.

Stoves with a small hose connecting to the standard screw on (Lindal thread) canisters are better. They are all at least a propane/butane mix and pay a bit more the the tri mix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403810936536 ... R5bz7NqDYQ

In cold weather you can 'invert' the canister which helps performance.
True, being able to invert them in winter is an advanage. You can also buy canisters with a winter mix.
I always used to use the remote type with a tube because of stability, ease of shielding from wind, I didn't camp in winter.
But for prep I use use the ones that screw on top of the canister for size and weight. My pot holds a small canister plus stove. Of course I have to carry a plastic stabaliser (25g). I like that my stove is inside the pot, protected. Also it was a bit cheaper. Cheapest remote Soto is about £75 and 80g heavier (less the 25g).
The butane/propane/isobutane cartridges/canisters I talked about are the winter mix.

Here is a Kovea Booster burner fitted into a Trangia, like the Primus Omnifuel the Booster will burn liquid fuel and gas canisters

Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:18 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:47 am
rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:26 am Bistro stoves are OK but remember if you are using the standard butane cartidges they will stop working at around +5c. The more expensive cartridges are a tri gas mis of propane/butane/isobutane and work better in cold temps.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3408252 ... az:1:287:2 shop on ebay and you can get 16 for £28. They will all burn for a total of around 120mins.

Stoves with a small hose connecting to the standard screw on (Lindal thread) canisters are better. They are all at least a propane/butane mix and pay a bit more the the tri mix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403810936536 ... R5bz7NqDYQ

In cold weather you can 'invert' the canister which helps performance.
True, being able to invert them in winter is an advanage. You can also buy canisters with a winter mix.
I always used to use the remote type with a tube because of stability, ease of shielding from wind, I didn't camp in winter.
But for prep I use use the ones that screw on top of the canister for size and weight. My pot holds a small canister plus stove. Of course I have to carry a plastic stabaliser (25g). I like that my stove is inside the pot, protected. Also it was a bit cheaper. Cheapest remote Soto is about £75 and 80g heavier (less the 25g).
The butane/propane/isobutane cartridges/canisters I talked about are the winter mix.

Here is a Kovea Booster burner fitted into a Trangia, like the Primus Omnifuel the Booster will burn liquid fuel and gas canisters

What are those bistro heater add-ons like been looking at them for a while but not found anyone with one who's used it? :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:58 pm
What are those bistro heater add-ons like been looking at them for a while but not found anyone with one who's used it? :D
Bistro Heater Add-ons? What do you mean?

To anyone using camping gas cartridges, has anyone tried refilling them, perhaps from a big calor gas bottle? Youtube shows lots of people do, with a £3 adaptor.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Going back to the original point of this thread. What is the CHEAPEST stove you all own that would actually work to boil a kettle in a powercut in moderately cold temperatures such as an unheated house?
Mine would I think be the bistro. Technically the vintage single burner one we got thrown in
for nothing as part of a second handle bundle was cheaper but it needs a refillable Camping Gaz cylinder which is not cheap.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

For the odd powercut, I don't think the difference in price of bistro and backpacking canisters is significant. You can get backpacking ones from £4. If you buy 6, you can get large ones for about £6 each. A medium one would last one person several days, for cooking and brews. If someone is short on space, the big size difference of the stoves would be a factor.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:36 am Going back to the original point of this thread. What is the CHEAPEST stove you all own that would actually work to boil a kettle in a powercut in moderately cold temperatures such as an unheated house?
Mine would I think be the bistro. Technically the vintage single burner one we got thrown in
for nothing as part of a second handle bundle was cheaper but it needs a refillable Camping Gaz cylinder which is not cheap.

Probably this one

I paid £8 for it going back a few years now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295078602889 ... R9bVvayEYQ

The screw on cartridges are available in various sizes
with butane / propane mix from tiny to huge..

Only draw back is the size of the pot stand

For the bistro in a cold house stock up on The butane and propane mix cartridges
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:09 am
GillyBee wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:36 am Going back to the original point of this thread. What is the CHEAPEST stove you all own that would actually work to boil a kettle in a powercut in moderately cold temperatures such as an unheated house?
Probably this one

I paid £8 for it going back a few years now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295078602889 ... R9bVvayEYQ

The screw on cartridges are available in various sizes
with butane / propane mix from tiny to huge..

Only draw back is the size of the pot stand

For the bistro in a cold house stock up on The butane and propane mix cartridges
I have a more expensive Soto Windmaster (£44) in my BOB, but I also have one the same or very similar to the one you linked to. Mine is https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ZHFOTS/ Cost a tenner. Seems to work OK. It came with a little orange plastic case same as yours.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:46 am For the odd powercut, I don't think the difference in price of bistro and backpacking canisters is significant. You can get backpacking ones from £4. If you buy 6, you can get large ones for about £6 each. A medium one would last one person several days, for cooking and brews. If someone is short on space, the big size difference of the stoves would be a factor.
Bistro wins for me. It's something that can just sit on the ceramic hob. No fear of it falling over with even a frying pan. Cheap enough to buy and to run. Accepted, it might not burn well in an igloo of a house.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16233482/c ... e-16233482

The cost is in the gas, and gas for these is cheap and plentiful.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bistro stoves are what we've lent to friends during outages.

There are cheaper stoves and better gas carts, but for simplicity of use for non-campers thats the best option.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Cheapest ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdGu_0e ... nnel=WMDIY

I've made them in the past, use an old army hexamine cooker as a pot support and away you go
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.