Burns kit

Medical and Healthcare
GadgetGal

Re: Burns kit

Post by GadgetGal »

Not suggesting it's a replacement for medical treatment for severe or very large burns but my 'go to' for most 'household' burns is Sudacrem cream ... yes ... the stuff for a baby's bum when (s)he has nappy rash. I have a small tub in the kitchen and another bathroom. It's good for minor burns, sunburn, itchy rashes, stings, eczema, cuts & grazes etc. - very versatile and has saved me from suffering lots of times.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GadgetGal wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:48 pm Not suggesting it's a replacement for medical treatment for severe or very large burns but my 'go to' for most 'household' burns is Sudacrem cream ... yes ... the stuff for a baby's bum when (s)he has nappy rash. I have a small tub in the kitchen and another bathroom. It's good for minor burns, sunburn, itchy rashes, stings, eczema, cuts & grazes etc. - very versatile and has saved me from suffering lots of times.
Sunburn ok

But any thermal burn the staff at the burns unit will beat you with the tub they don't like it not sure why but the wife got told "it's the worst stuff you can use" at pinderfields burns unit when little miss touched the red hot oven door

This NHS treatment card says all but the same
Screenshot_20221011-212640.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GadgetGal

Post by GadgetGal »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:29 pm
GadgetGal wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:48 pm Not suggesting it's a replacement for medical treatment for severe or very large burns but my 'go to' for most 'household' burns is Sudacrem cream ... yes ... the stuff for a baby's bum when (s)he has nappy rash. I have a small tub in the kitchen and another bathroom. It's good for minor burns, sunburn, itchy rashes, stings, eczema, cuts & grazes etc. - very versatile and has saved me from suffering lots of times.
Sunburn ok

But any thermal burn the staff at the burns unit will beat you with the tub they don't like it not sure why but the wife got told "it's the worst stuff you can use" at pinderfields burns unit when little miss touched the red hot oven door

Thanks I appreciate the advice ... not sure why they should be so 'anti' Sudacrem - all I can say is it's helped me a lot, especially when applied straight away, after cooling with cold water. I wouldn't use it for something I thought needed medical treatment but I've never had a problem with it. Also, personally, I don't want the journey to A&E and have to wait several hours before I get some relief - burns continue to burn and get deeper the longer you leave them.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GadgetGal wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:14 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:29 pm
Sunburn ok

Thanks I appreciate the advice ... not sure why they should be so 'anti' Sudacrem - all I can say is it's helped me a lot, especially when applied straight away, after cooling with cold water. I wouldn't use it for something I thought needed medical treatment but I've never had a problem with it. Also, personally, I don't want the journey to A&E and have to wait several hours before I get some relief - burns continue to burn and get deeper the longer you leave them.

Going to stick my neck out and say it's Cytotoxic...

Same with any other antiseptic cream / paste / liquid

The antiseptic element can and does slow the healing process..

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And as of by magic :lol:
Screenshot_20221012-092924.png

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:23 pm If you have Clean running water . Big roll of cling film....

20 mins under cool water then wrap in cling film (loosely not tightly)

Then off to hospital.

Away from water burns gell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RedRelief-Emer ... 50&sr=8-10

Either just the gell and cling film

Or the burns dressings and a crape bandage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reliance-Medic ... pons&psc=1
Read this the other week and ordered some of the gel ..just in case
Thanks Yorks Andy
Came in from the pool last night
Tripped over the damned cat backwards as I was stripping off to shove everything in washer
Wobbled backwards and planted my Ar$e firmly on the wood burner
The left cheek to be exact 🙄
Have spent the night lying on my stomach with the burn relief gel spread across said ass
I can confirm this gel works and takes the sting out of the tail ...literally
Sat a a angle now with the cat staring at me ...
Sometimes it really just doesn't ###*** matter how prepared you are 😅
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:17 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:23 pm If you have Clean running water . Big roll of cling film....

20 mins under cool water then wrap in cling film (loosely not tightly)

Then off to hospital.

Away from water burns gell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RedRelief-Emer ... 50&sr=8-10

Either just the gell and cling film

Or the burns dressings and a crape bandage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reliance-Medic ... pons&psc=1
Read this the other week and ordered some of the gel ..just in case
Thanks Yorks Andy
Came in from the pool last night
Tripped over the damned cat backwards as I was stripping off to shove everything in washer
Wobbled backwards and planted my Ar$e firmly on the wood burner
The left cheek to be exact 🙄
Have spent the night lying on my stomach with the burn relief gel spread across said ass
I can confirm this gel works and takes the sting out of the tail ...literally
Sat a a angle now with the cat staring at me ...
Sometimes it really just doesn't ###*** matter how prepared you are 😅
I've just spat my caramel wafer out reading that hope your derriere is feeling better soon and that Mr gee gee has offered to kiss it better :lol: as for the cat sling it outside it might get the hint the human can opener is not happy

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Hes too busy lording it up in his chair watching the world Cup laughing at his cancer consultant who said he wouldn't be here to see it
😅

Well at least the gel is now tried and tested and its good
I'm walking at a angle but yep its working 😂😂😂😂
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Any laughs are good laughs, GeeGee! Though I really hope the cat's not laughing at you.

Thanks to all who contributed to this - burns are definitely a bit of a hole in my preps, I knew cold water, but that was it really. Also, I'm one of those people who need to know *why* to do (or not do) something, so this has helped too.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

You've got to laugh as preppers we do see the darkest parts of things as were always trying to stay one step ahead and its usually doom and gloom.. but if I hadn't read this the other week if I hadn't ordered the burns gel and read what to do I would probably still be in A &E 18 hours later with a red raw rear 😳
So thank you everyone
You saved my ass ...literally!