Respirators and gas masks

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
space.gamer

Respirators and gas masks

Post by space.gamer »

Hey, I was wondering what prep you guys/gals are doing with regards to respirators or gas masks. I’m honestly thinking to myself that fully blown chemical and radiation masks are just overkill but some type of mask to protect against smoke and dust-type partials from fires, explosions and the like might be worth it.

I’ve been looking at this “Respirator Mask, Faburo Dust Gas Mask with Filter, Paint Mask, Chemical Mask for Dust, Organic Vapors, Chemicals Protection with Safety Goggles” https://amzn.eu/d/cpmDezx as it seems cheap and seems to offer some reasonable protection from basic things but it’s not NIOSH rated.

There are 3M https://amzn.eu/d/cc3RmUW that seem a step up, if fitted with P100 filters.

I’m just not sure if these are even worth picking up tho’. I’m not spending hundreds of pounds on Israeli mask or an army surplus mask.

Thoughts?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Respirators and gas masks

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Firstly what's the mask for?

Secondly will it fit YOU?

We got face fitted at work just for dust masks!

As for fire protection a normal gas mask or dust mask will not offer any protection from CO..

Then your into "escape masks"

Cheaper end which er well the lack of any uk approval

https://www.manomano.co.uk/catalogue/p/ ... t-53874364

Might get your guessing but it can't be worse than a t-shirt held over your mouth and nose . I'll admit I've got 2 for the kids in the event of a house fire with 2 I hope I can evac me and the wife first... Bear with that .. Leave the wife by the front door on the phone to 999 return with her mask then extract both kids either one at a time mask on me and each child,,, worst case and I'll forgo the mask and slide the stairs with both ... The kids have practiced this blindfolded then masked up with the lights on just to give them the hint daddy will be rough bung a "bag " over your head and run you down the stairs fast....

Sounds silly but having mum outside the kids have an adult outside to calm them / get them to safety

Order an extra for practicing .. once the seal is broken the co part begins to react with air so won't work again they are a one shot mask ......

Then your into big money

https://ukpreppingshop.co.uk/products/f ... y8EALw_wcB
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

No gasmask, but a small stock of disposable FFP3 masks and just one proper half face mask like this. With half a dozen cartridges. Not enough.
https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/v101343129/

Gas attacks not high on my list of scenarios. Maybe something to keep radioactive dust or smoke from my lungs for a short while.
Bio attack or nerve agents, we are screwed. A binbag and some duct tape to briefly protect and then tidily get rid of the bodies.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:34 pm No gasmask, but a small stock of disposable FFP3 masks and just one proper half face mask like this. With half a dozen cartridges. Not enough.
https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/v101343129/

Gas attacks not high on my list of scenarios. Maybe something to keep radioactive dust or smoke from my lungs for a short while.
Bio attack or nerve agents, we are screwed. A binbag and some duct tape to briefly protect and then tidily get rid of the bodies.
A2 you plan on doing lots of paint spraying ? ;)

space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

I’m not wearing that bloody monstrosity!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

space.gamer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:54 pm
I’m not wearing that bloody monstrosity!
It might be a bloody monstrosity

Bet you won't say that to a fire fighter if your trapped in a burning building after Grenfell they (or similar masks ) are carried on most front line fire appliances...

https://westbridgfordwire.com/notts-fir ... ell-grant/

It's not a fashion item it's designed to keep you alive long enough to escape from smoke / heat from a fire.... To get you out to clean air

Oh and NIOSH is an American term you'll struggle to find much kit in the UK / Europe to their standard.

Your looking at EN 143 then the individual classes of filtration Px (1 2 or 3) then chemical filtration A, AX , B , E , K Hg , CO , and the wel level of protection afforded depending on filter specification / type

Plenty of masks on line but you need to know what you need protection wise before blowing a wedge of cash I like sabre masks they fit me well followed by sundstrom

space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:22 pm It might be a bloody monstrosity

Bet you won't say that to a fire fighter if your trapped in a burning building after Grenfell they (or similar masks ) are carried on most front line fire appliances...

It's not a fashion item it's designed to keep you alive long enough to escape from smoke / heat from a fire.... To get you out to clean air

Oh and NIOSH is an American term you'll struggle to find much kit in the UK / Europe to their standard.

Your looking at EN 143 then the individual classes of filtration Px (1 2 or 3) then chemical filtration A, AX , B , E , K Hg , CO , and the wel level of protection afforded depending on filter specification / type

Plenty of masks on line but you need to know what you need protection wise before blowing a wedge of cash I like sabre masks they fit me well followed by sundstrom
You’re right, I know. It’s life saving.

Thx for the UK standard info. Didn’t know that.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Have Russian GP-7 gas masks, half-face respirator with 40mm screw and Scott P3 filters. I used half-face respirator during covid. Yes, I attracted too much attention when in supermarkets or other similar places, but I am a contractor and being off work even for a day costs probably more than 20 of these respirators with P3 filters. In fact, I still use Stealth Lite respirator when I go to my gym or to client's site - being ill costs too much
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Must admit I like the trend Stealth , I work in the timber trade obviously trend make cutting tools and strangely Screwfix during the great COVID panic had lots on stock but they didn't appear if you searched for mask/ p3/ respirator.....

I find them more comfortable than the eclipse p3 if a bit bulkier thewl downward exhaust vent means it doesn't fog my glasses / welding mask either

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:10 am Must admit I like the trend Stealth , I work in the timber trade obviously trend make cutting tools and strangely Screwfix during the great COVID panic had lots on stock but they didn't appear if you searched for mask/ p3/ respirator.....

I find them more comfortable than the eclipse p3 if a bit bulkier thewl downward exhaust vent means it doesn't fog my glasses / welding mask either
Hi Andy ok i have full chemical and biological gask masks and many filters but i just seen the fire mask you recommend , the wife and i are disabled and we do have an escape plan in place hence fire extingiushers in the bedrooms and on the landing so i can try and beat back a fire long enolugh for us to get to the back bedroom and out the window on to the kitchen roof then the garage roof then down ,it is an old style 1930 house where they put a kitchen on the back in the 60's you know the typei am sure but back to the mask those look a blooming good idea for us it would mean if the smoke was heavy at leasts for the wife as she has asthma i could then be sure no smoke in her lungs and as i say out the back window it can come off , have you tested these at all or is that just one you know of or is there a brand you know are good

Lol hey i think we could start a page "LISTEN WITH ANDY" lol i know but i am grateful people share their knowledge here free , i can say i will be doing a test of bio ethanol fire just a small one to see if it is a viable idea for if we lose heating put the flame is fully closed in but i hope it gives off plenty of heat , we have many heaters that are flkame drivern shall i say so pays to have fire fighting kit in case

has anyone tried these masks
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403704445471 ... R4aU1ebIYQ

i do prefer the s10 but also looking at getting a couple of full face for the better field of view