Rain water filter

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
intuitive

Rain water filter

Post by intuitive »

I'm looking for help in regards to collecting rain water for a more longer term water supply.

I'll be using my green house gutter and down pipe to collect...and I'm looking at adding a filtration system into the guttering before it hits the barrel. Has anybody else done this? It won't be for off a fishtank filter system but won't hold any bio media obviously.

Once in the barrel and its full I'll swap out and repeat. The water leaving the barrel for consumption would be put through a sawyer mini...then boiled and purified with tablets.

Would this be okay?,

I have a busy household so water is of concern to me.

Thank you
Frnc

Re: Rain water filter

Post by Frnc »

intuitive wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:56 pm I'm looking for help in regards to collecting rain water for a more longer term water supply.

I'll be using my green house gutter and down pipe to collect...and I'm looking at adding a filtration system into the guttering before it hits the barrel. Has anybody else done this? It won't be for off a fishtank filter system but won't hold any bio media obviously.

Once in the barrel and its full I'll swap out and repeat. The water leaving the barrel for consumption would be put through a sawyer mini...then boiled and purified with tablets.

Would this be okay?,

I have a busy household so water is of concern to me.

Thank you
I don't know about the pre-filter. But I have a tip regarding the Sawyer. They are said to be 3 x faster at gravity filtration if you fit a 3 ft tube to the exit end. I believe it creates some sort of suction. I think a food grade silicone, 7mm ID. Thin wall doesn't coils as well as slightly thicker wall. You can get it by the metre on ebay.

Regarding the barrel, try to keep it shaded in the summer, to avoid Legionaire's risk. I presume the puri tabs would kill that though?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

I put a piece of old net curtain or scaffold netting over the end of the gutter pipe - just zip tied it on.It needs changing regularly though.It keeps the Big Lumps out! :mrgreen: When I drew water from the tap into a ( white) bucket, I let it settle for 24 hours. With the white buckets,you can see the cr*p settle. Then Sawyer / Katadyn or whatever filter it - or boil it.I am fortunate to have 3 gallon food grade buckets from my work - I have a couple :lol: A five gallon brewing bucket is good too,or just into what you have and be sure it settles.

A little time back,we did a little ‘emergency’ exercise with stored water. We used a millbank bag,after we settled it,then boiled it. We do have Sawyers,and chemicals but the previous worked well. Low tech as well. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

HI ok we have huge water storage tanks on the back of the house a 1500 lite orange juice tank , now if i understand you right your going to use the smaller 220lt i think they are the orange barrels you get on the bay with a air tight sealing lid , they are air tight and water tight once sealed , now to the collecting , if you have a alli greenhouse with the little box gutter i can give you a real good idea , you can either use coarse medium or fine i used coarse , get some of the filter pads like the sponges in a pond filter you can get it by the sheet measure the gutter size and cut the sheet in strips but make it a bit bigger than the width of the gutter so when you tuck it in it is tight and does not stick up to stop rubbish being run off the top now you are filtering the water direct in to the gutter and you can just take it out wash it put it back , you can also filter it more if you need to but i would say this keeps the water in the butt clean , my huge tank has not been emptied in 8 years the water comes out clear as tap water when we pump it to out water system , we do not use it to drink just for our ploytunnel