RAYNET

Appin

RAYNET

Post by Appin »

A contact of mine tells me RAYNET ( The radio amateurs emergency network) has been asked to check on their "resilience".
In particular their ability to function in a prolonged national blackout.

This is part of a rolling national exercise called Exercise Lemur. They have been asked to confirm they can keep workingin the event of a power blackout and to clarify for how long they could keep going.

This link is the only public mention but appparently a "Lemur" exercise is being done in each area.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exercise ... 9424187497

Appin
steptoe

Re: RAYNET

Post by steptoe »

Appin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:14 pm A contact of mine tells me RAYNET ( The radio amateurs emergency network) has been asked to check on their "resilience".
In particular their ability to function in a prolonged national blackout.

This is part of a rolling national exercise called Exercise Lemur. They have been asked to confirm they can keep workingin the event of a power blackout and to clarify for how long they could keep going.

This link is the only public mention but appparently a "Lemur" exercise is being done in each area.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exercise ... 9424187497

Appin
Hi i can find no group for the west midlands area , i would like to join if there is one , it would be nice to have the backing of others in the like minded mindset as us
thanks if you have detials or a page that links to the west midlands
Appin

Post by Appin »

RAYNET is purely aimed at helping outside agencies to communicate in adverse situations.There is no "prepper" outlook beyond being able to operate as a radio service provider. (Which does include up a mountainside in bad weather for a prolonged period.) You won't find any interest in most prepper activities.

From something you posted not long ago you appear not to be licenced yet? You really need at least an intermediate licence. Foundation licence would not be enough.

For general information the RAYNET website is good.

https://www.raynet-uk.net/contact.asp

Appin
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

RAYNET has been around for decades, my dad was a member, I'm a member and its radio ham based. Meet ups are regular, generally a good crew of people; some groups are better equipped than others but we should have UK coverage in the event of major blackouts.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Appin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:35 pm RAYNET is purely aimed at helping outside agencies to communicate in adverse situations.There is no "prepper" outlook beyond being able to operate as a radio service provider. (Which does include up a mountainside in bad weather for a prolonged period.) You won't find any interest in most prepper activities.

From something you posted not long ago you appear not to be licenced yet? You really need at least an intermediate licence. Foundation licence would not be enough.

Appin
Hi no your right i do not have al icence yet i am working on that with the essexham and hope to soon but the reason i got all the ham and cb stuff is in case thinks ever get that bad we could still find out stuff and stay in touch with the world .

I if and when licenced would be more than willing to join something that would help pass information on if it helped keep us safe
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:23 pm RAYNET has been around for decades, my dad was a member, I'm a member and its radio ham based. Meet ups are regular, generally a good crew of people; some groups are better equipped than others but we should have UK coverage in the event of major blackouts.
Can i ask if i was just on a listerning set what frequency i should list in to , likei say never hurts to be ready to list in and get a heads up
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Appin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:35 pm RAYNET is purely aimed at helping outside agencies to communicate in adverse situations.There is no "prepper" outlook beyond being able to operate as a radio service provider. (Which does include up a mountainside in bad weather for a prolonged period.) You won't find any interest in most prepper activities.

Appin
I know some very knowledgeable Foundation licence holders who would be a credit to something like RAYNET, shame to turn down volunteers these days.