Value Range foods compared

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I recently tried Morrison's own brand soups and quite liked most of them (well all the ones that are flavours I'll eat at least), not a lot of lumps (they're not that kind of soups) but they do have some texture to them.
Pea&Ham
Mushroom
Chicken
Carrot&Parsnip (surprisingly good)
Mixed Veg.
Lentil&Bacon ( ETA I have now tried this one. Has small cubes of bacon for texture, lentil taste not overwhelming...... Which is a good thing for me)

Didn't buy
Tomato
Scotch Broth
Minestrone
Mulligatawny (is that really a soup?? I mean like really???)

Currently at 67p a tin, I bought a load yesterday (30 for £20.10) ....... And then went back today and bought another load (30 more. Don't judge me :oops: )

Just to add context, same shop. Heinz 5 for £5, Big Soup 3 for £4.50......Baxter's (not on offer) £2 a can... For SOUP!! (I don't do the shopping that much, but I was surprised)
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:50 pm Just to add context, same shop. Heinz 5 for £5, Big Soup 3 for £4.50......Baxter's (not on offer) £2 a can... For SOUP!! (I don't do the shopping that much, but I was surprised)
The Heinz offers seem to be Heinz's way of trying to claw bag some customers after alienating them with their > £1.70 a tin stunt.
They can go take a long walk of a short plank if they want me to ever buy their offerings again.

I've managed to slash our food spending to the bone. We just eat half a portion of gruel a day, now. I batch cook it: a handful of rice, some dropped autumn leaves and some shredded cardboard flavoured with a quarter of an oxo. Yum. If we keep up with this 30% food price inflation, I may need to lose the oxo and half the rice.

I think it's time for a soup comparison test. I'll add a few tins to the shopping list. Anyone know where I can get 5 year old soup, cos that's what I mostly eat :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I used to live off Heinz Lentil, but the price is stupid and it has too much salt in it. I buy Sains own Mushroom now, 67p. I have half a tin and use an orange plastic coffee tin lid.

Been having loads of problems buying Azera off ebay. Waiting for a refund. Not going to buy any more Azera off ebay, too much hassle. Will just wait for offers at Sainsburys. I water it down with Aldi.

Not bought much Quorn recently, too expensive. Waiting for some decent offers.

I now buy Sainsburys Both In One bread, 72p.

Stamford St Cheddar 600g, about £3.30.

Aldi Cornflakes or Sains Rice Pops, both low salt.

Sains milk 1.1l is nearly the price of twice as much!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:07 am I used to live off Heinz Lentil, but the price is stupid and it has too much salt in it. I buy Sains own Mushroom now, 67p. I have half a tin and use an orange plastic coffee tin lid.
I found pet stores, or the pet supplies section of amazon, good for 'tin saver' plastic lids for popping that half can of beans in the fridge. Mine have cute paw marks printed on them. I guess the makers are trying to label the tinned food as "don't eat me you fool, it's kit-e-kat"
Colliers Welsh Cheddar cheap from farmoods.
This was one of our big moneysavers, switching up from 1L to 2L bottles. Next might be a switch to 4L but they are not at all a convenient size and would be a PITA to decant. Getting plastic milk bottles clean and sterile is a pain. Decanting seems to speed up the milk going off.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:07 am I used to live off Heinz Lentil, but the price is stupid and it has too much salt in it. I buy Sains own Mushroom now, 67p. I have half a tin and use an orange plastic coffee tin lid.
I found pet stores, or the pet supplies section of amazon, good for 'tin saver' plastic lids for popping that half can of beans in the fridge. Mine have cute paw marks printed on them. I guess the makers are trying to label the tinned food as "don't eat me you fool, it's kit-e-kat"
Colliers Welsh Cheddar cheap from farmoods.
This was one of our big moneysavers, switching up from 1L to 2L bottles. Next might be a switch to 4L but they are not at all a convenient size and would be a PITA to decant. Getting plastic milk bottles clean and sterile is a pain. Decanting seems to speed up the milk going off.
2.2 litres lasts me a week and doesn't go off, so I don't bother freezing any. But for 2 of you, you could go for 4 l if it will fit in the fridge. Don't bother cleaning bottles to decant though, not worth the effort.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:50 am 2.2 litres lasts me a week and doesn't go off, so I don't bother freezing any. But for 2 of you, you could go for 4 l if it will fit in the fridge. Don't bother cleaning bottles to decant though, not worth the effort.
4l is too heavy for me to use, day to day, so decanting would be a must

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:50 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:50 am 2.2 litres lasts me a week and doesn't go off, so I don't bother freezing any. But for 2 of you, you could go for 4 l if it will fit in the fridge. Don't bother cleaning bottles to decant though, not worth the effort.
I struggled at the shop today with 2 litres, plus everything else, should have got a trolley, but I never take the coin. Bottle of whisky didn't help. Cauliflower, frozen sweetcorn etc etc, all heavy stuff. Good exercise though. Yes I imagine a 4 litres is cumbersome.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:33 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:50 pm 4l is too heavy for me to use, day to day, so decanting would be a must
I struggled at the shop today with 2 litres, plus everything else, should have got a trolley, but I never take the coin. Bottle of whisky didn't help. Cauliflower, frozen sweetcorn etc etc, all heavy stuff. Good exercise though. Yes I imagine a 4 litres is cumbersome.
4L is literally too heavy for me to lift from the fridge to put in my coffee or cereal because of a medical condition. Even decanting a 4L bottle is a painful chore which I'd have to delegate.

But the price is a no-brainer to get at least a 4 pinter. 6 pinter is more marginal. I was wrong. There's no 4L size.
Aldi: semi skimmed
1 pt @ 90p
2 pt @ 1.20
4 pt @ 1.45
6 pt @ 2.15

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:17 pm Tonight, we gave Lidl's Freshona Mushy peas a try. I'm really sorry that I don't have the price to hand. [Edit 32p] But they were dearer than ASDA's essentials and cheaper than Batchelors.

The report:-

I could tell they were not Batchelors, but it's subtle,
These will be a go-to substitute until I can find something better. Price is the missing ingredient to this review and will be a clincher. [Edit they're 32p per 300g tin]
Update.
Until last month, Tesco were selling Batchelors Mushy peas at (IIRC) 39p. Today they are 70p and 59p in B&M
But having eaten and been delighted with Lidl Freshona mushy peas, today, I significantly stocked up. They were ONLY 33p a tin, which is just one penny more than this time last year !!!!
I wish I'd filled me boots with the Tesco offer, but this was as good. Freshona recommended.

Coming soon, my review of Aldi, Tesco and Lidl own brand vegetable soups. 67p: 75p: 67p compared to Heinz at £1.70 I WON'T be buying Heinz to put in the comparison. They can sod off at that price.

Down-vote for Lidl. The prices on their web site are hopelessly out of date!!!

Humourous foot note:
Tesco Stockwell beans only at the 'restock' top shelf way on high. I was defiantly reaching them down when an emlpoyee ran over, accosted me, politely rebuked me and proceeded to reach them down for me. I was a good six inches taller than him. It was scary to watch him struggle. about a quarter of the NEW stock tins were already badly dented!. Stockwell beans are really good but they insist on stocking hardly any. Obviously a loss leader so they can boast of their price promise.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:17 pm

But the price is a no-brainer to get at least a 4 pinter. 6 pinter is more marginal.
Penny a litre, forget the 6 pinter.