Value Range foods compared

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Vitamin c

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by Vitamin c »

I like to mix a tin soup (cream of tomato 🍅 my favourite) with cheap pasta .
A hand full of frozen veg bit of meat / beans cheap meal.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 am So Sausages have a legal meat content and it's serious to break that law.

Tell that to all the good folk who ate horse meat without their knowledge or consent.
That was the supermarkets me old chap. And they did that back then ,why? Because folks were whining,just like you are now - it was about raised prices that happened at the tail end of the 2008 crash - so they kept it down!

I still don’t believe that there are so many people,like yourself ,who are totally ignorant of the (GOOD) laws that cover food manufacture.If you are unsure,it’s written on the packaging you buy it in. You just have to read it. No wonder I’m gonna pack the job up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh yes,nearly forgot - most of the horse meat went into nuggets and burgers as I remember - which is trash food anyway! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:27 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 am Tell that to all the good folk who ate horse meat without their knowledge or consent.
That was the supermarkets me old chap. And they did that back then ,why? Because folks were whining,just like you are now - it was about raised prices that happened at the tail end of the 2008 crash - so they kept it down!
I’m gonna pack the job up.
Chill, Jansman. Nobody is really attacking your industry.
You acknowledge yourself that is was high prices and supply and demand back then. No reason to think it's not supply and demand now, nor that some shyster won't break all these good laws. If big corporate supermarkets could do that then, we should watch them still.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:52 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:27 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 am Tell that to all the good folk who ate horse meat without their knowledge or consent.
I’m gonna pack the job up.
Chill, Jansman. Nobody is really attacking your industry.
You acknowledge yourself that is was high prices and supply and demand back then. No reason to think it's not supply and demand now, nor that some shyster won't break all these good laws. If big corporate supermarkets could do that then, we should watch them still.
Agreed

Chill out

Every industry will cut corners, break laws , for more money.
The meat industry is no better or worse. :mrgreen:
Fill er up jacko...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:09 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 am So Sausages have a legal meat content and it's serious to break that law.

Tell that to all the good folk who ate horse meat without their knowledge or consent.
That's a bit harsh :) That was 9 years ago and I don't think it was Jansman's fault :) $:o)
There will always be rogues and crooks and of course, where would we be without scammers.

But in this thread, we are considering the legal ways that we can get decent value for money from 'value' ranges and how we can vote with our feet.
Your so right jenny , there will be scammers in all walks of life but if we can all pass on a little knowledge on the cheaper brand foods because like i say we love the cheap ketchup when i can not make my own , shhhh health took a major hit yesterday and today i am bed ridden lol ,the wife says i will do anything to get out of cooking lol .

I wonder could we start a thread that lists good cheap alternatives on the pricey brands , and yes to the soup in a pasta my wife loves to do that .

Ok i am going to mak a list of things we use cheaper end stuff like tinned potatos which are great thrown in with a tin of the chicken casserole mix makes a quick cheap meal for the wife and i , ok well jenny i think you would be the one to start the thread as you seem to be up on this .

ok well thanks again for a great site
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm
I wonder could we start a thread that lists good cheap alternatives on the pricey brands , and yes to the soup in a pasta my wife loves to do that .

Ok i am going to mak a list of things we use cheaper end stuff like tinned potatos which are great thrown in with a tin of the chicken casserole mix makes a quick cheap meal for the wife and i , ok well jenny i think you would be the one to start the thread as you seem to be up on this .

Hmmmmm Tinned spuds. I've forgotten how nice they can be. Love to just cut them in half and saute with a bit of garlic and mixed herbs. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=saute&ia=vide ... owsSHjdQv0

A big beauty parade value list would be handy, and we could do with something editable by more than one person. I don't know how that could be done here.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:36 am
steptoe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm

Hmmmmm Tinned spuds. I've forgotten how nice they can be. Love to just cut them in half and saute with a bit of garlic and mixed herbs. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=saute&ia=vide ... owsSHjdQv0

A big beauty parade value list would be handy, and we could do with something editable by more than one person. I don't know how that could be done here.
LOL at jenny cutting up and suate lol , i do them all the time for the wife she loves them , we have a stock pile of the swainsburys ready done ones in mylar so hehehe i know but needs must , i love to chop a tin of new taters up then fry with butter then chop up a tin of bacon grill if no fresh bacon throw that in and some onion cook it off just little colour then i pour 4 to 6 eggs over depending on size but i have huge stock piles of powdered eggs to hehehe , then let it start to set pop some sliced toms on top then a hand full of cheese over that then i pop it in theg rill for a few minutes to fluff right up omg ypu nice bit of fresh bread with it we have ot use gluten free bread but omg the itger loaf you can get and 2 slces and a huge blob of sauce on the side or if i have any left christmas chutney omg heaven i'm in heaven
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 pm then i pour 4 to 6 eggs over depending on size but i have huge stock piles of powdered eggs to hehehe , then let it start to set pop some sliced toms on top then a hand full of cheese over that then i pop it in the grill for a few minutes to fluff right up omg ypu nice bit of fresh bread with it we have ot use gluten free bread but omg the tiger loaf you can get and 2 slices and a huge blob of sauce on the side or if i have any left christmas chutney omg heaven i'm in heaven
Sounds Delish.
I've got several kilo of powdered egg, circa 2017. Perfectly good scram. Doesn't even need refrigerating.
Move over Jamie Oliver, we can show you a 15 minute meal to die for. Never the same twice. :D

Must be time for another post in my 'From Ration List to Meal Plan' thread.

Thinking of all those tins reminds me. Because of a shelf collapse in my food store, I have a lot of assorted dented tins. Though they are only circa 2019, they get to queue jump to the front of the usage queue. :D :D

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:33 pm
steptoe wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 pm then i pour 4 to 6 eggs over depending on size but i have huge stock piles of powdered eggs to hehehe , then let it start to set pop some sliced toms on top then a hand full of cheese over that then i pop it in the grill for a few minutes to fluff right up omg ypu nice bit of fresh bread with it we have ot use gluten free bread but omg the tiger loaf you can get and 2 slices and a huge blob of sauce on the side or if i have any left christmas chutney omg heaven i'm in heaven
Sounds Delish.
I've got several kilo of powdered egg, circa 2017. Perfectly good scram. Doesn't even need refrigerating.
Move over Jamie Oliver, we can show you a 15 minute meal to die for. Never the same twice. :D

Must be time for another post in my 'From Ration List to Meal Plan' thread.

Thinking of all those tins reminds me. Because of a shelf collapse in my food store, I have a lot of assorted dented tins. Though they are only circa 2019, they get to queue jump to the front of the usage queue. :D :D
I can recommend the metal shelving racks i got on the bay , they are easy to put together and strong you have to watch which you get some are weak we found that to , i do sometimes on the heavy duty racks i put 12mm plywood for the shelves