UK economy.

For all things financial
Frnc

Re: UK economy.

Post by Frnc »

I'm all for goats escaping, and roaming free.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:44 pm I'm all for goats escaping, and roaming free.
They can roam free into a curry anytime they like. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:49 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:44 pm I'm all for goats escaping, and roaming free.
Nooo!

Hunt named as new Chancellor.

Edit. U-turn on corporation tax expected at 14.30 news conference.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

OK, full reversal of the Corporation tax. That's £18 billion a year. A small amount compared to the cost of the energy price freeze. Not sure how much the 1% tax reduction cost. Not sure if it will be enough on it's own to calm the markets.

I think the government will probably decouple low carbon electricity prices from gas powered, which will reduce the price/profits/subsidy a bit.

The elephant in the room remains the massive profits being made by the companies who extract natural gas, which she is propping up with the freeze without a windfall tax. I suppose if she announces that it will be added to our bills spread over 5-10 years, the fiscal hole will be filled a lot more.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I love goats. Unfortunately,now I have no suitable land,I cannot keep them anymore. Mind you,if the economy goes wrong,then I do know who to ask for some ‘space’ ;) ;) In my game,I know how to make money from such livestock. In fact my rabbits are doing me some good right now,as this time of year,they become wanted! :D

When I started this thread ,I did not expect it to become a daily criticism of our current government! :lol: :lol: Quite obviously,one of our members is turning it into a daily news of a government he doesn’t like! Sorry ,but that’s how it seems,AND ITS GETTING BORING! :(

Twice,I mentioned Argentina and the book that described how the population dealt with the economic crash - REGARDLESS OF POLITICIANS!

Unfortunately ,this thread seems to have turned into a hatred - scheme about UK gubbermint. :lol: :lol: Make a change FRNC! ;)

So come on Preppers and real survivalists; What will YOU do to survive a smashed economy? WITHOUT slagging the alleged leaders!

I’ll start it. My pension ( private) seems to have shrunk,and government issues appear to have had a bit towards the issue. Moaning here won’t change that! Mrs J and me want to semi retire next year. INSTEAD OF PENSION ISSUES we are looking at downshifting property and the like. We have a plan!

Back in the early 80’s Economic Collapse was forecast for the early years in the 21st century. Not far off the mark,as 2008 was a massive hit from the … you all know! Back then ,I got real in effort to pay this place off. Believe me,I am not rich,nor my wife. However,we paid off ( it left us 50 quid in the bank!) and we sold our car off and had no holiday for three years. Angry? No! We looked after ourselves. We survived,because we could see crap coming.

And that crap is here. So what PRACTICAL stuff will you do to deal with the demise of the UK economy: rather than whinging about the daily political ‘news’?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

jansman wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 pm
I love goats. Unfortunately,now I have no suitable land,I cannot keep them anymore. Mind you,if the economy goes wrong,then I do know who to ask for some ‘space’ ;) ;) In my game,I know how to make money from such livestock. In fact my rabbits are doing me some good right now,as this time of year,they become wanted! :D

When I started this thread ,I did not expect it to become a daily criticism of our current government! :lol: :lol: Quite obviously,one of our members is turning it into a daily news of a government he doesn’t like! Sorry ,but that’s how it seems,AND ITS GETTING BORING! :(

Twice,I mentioned Argentina and the book that described how the population dealt with the economic crash - REGARDLESS OF POLITICIANS!

Unfortunately ,this thread seems to have turned into a hatred - scheme about UK gubbermint. :lol: :lol: Make a change FRNC! ;)

So come on Preppers and real survivalists; What will YOU do to survive a smashed economy? WITHOUT slagging the alleged leaders!

I’ll start it. My pension ( private) seems to have shrunk,and government issues appear to have had a bit towards the issue. Moaning here won’t change that! Mrs J and me want to semi retire next year. INSTEAD OF PENSION ISSUES we are looking at downshifting property and the like. We have a plan!

Back in the early 80’s Economic Collapse was forecast for the early years in the 21st century. Not far off the mark,as 2008 was a massive hit from the … you all know! Back then ,I got real in effort to pay this place off. Believe me,I am not rich,nor my wife. However,we paid off ( it left us 50 quid in the bank!) and we sold our car off and had no holiday for three years. Angry? No! We looked after ourselves. We survived,because we could see crap coming.

And that crap is here. So what PRACTICAL stuff will you do to deal with the demise of the UK economy: rather than whinging about the daily political ‘news’?
Well bang on ..with what I've been sorting today ..we have two yr left on mortgage..and the fixed rate stops next month they have quoted a horrendous percentage
MR GG retired on ill health ( eventually) like you Jansman one pension down the pot but a small pension to come very small though but its something
We have sold a lot of stuff and will be paying mortgage off with money that comes in ..no point in paying such a horrific interest rate and cant switch now due to his terminal diagnosis nobody will touch us
We dont eat much and I buy all the wonky cheap veg and go to the local farm for eggs and milk
Possibly look at selling next year if the market stabilises but we are already in a small house with a massive garden and the wood and coal burner but its something to look at if its practical
Lanterns on ..on a eve .shorter showers to save on the gas ...
Anything now that I can do to reduce outgoings ...
Keep fingers crossed my 40 yr old premium bond comes up 😂
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I think atm my Military Pension is safe.

I payed my Mortgage off in 2008 so I'm clear of that Millstone.

Premium Bonds and ISAs are just sitting there as back ups.

A "years salary" in cash hidden in the house.

I upped my precious Metals last year and early this just in time but nowhere near what I want.

My food has been all changed out due to medical problems, and since the death of my Father I'm now storing for one.

168 days of prescription meds saved up, need more but can only wrangle an extra 10 days every 8 weeks.

I'd say I'm in a stable place atm but I'm not resting on my laurels.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Working crazy amounts of overtime at the moment to pay off a small loan and the visa. I should be feet clear more or less about February.

After that, every single spare penny we have will be put into the mortgage. I will have to work till I am 67 to pay it off and bugger that for a game of sodjers.

I want to be mortgage free by 60 at the latest.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:41 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 pm

Well bang on ..with what I've been sorting today ..we have two yr left on mortgage..and the fixed rate stops next month they have quoted a horrendous percentage
MR GG retired on ill health ( eventually) like you Jansman one pension down the pot but a small pension to come very small though but its something
We have sold a lot of stuff and will be paying mortgage off with money that comes in ..no point in paying such a horrific interest rate and cant switch now due to his terminal diagnosis nobody will touch us
We dont eat much and I buy all the wonky cheap veg and go to the local farm for eggs and milk
Possibly look at selling next year if the market stabilises but we are already in a small house with a massive garden and the wood and coal burner but its something to look at if its practical
Lanterns on ..on a eve .shorter showers to save on the gas ...
Anything now that I can do to reduce outgoings ...
Keep fingers crossed my 40 yr old premium bond comes up 😂
You’ll get there, I know! You have the attitude and drive. You will get there,and tell us when so that we can support and congratulate you . :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:25 pm You’ll get there, I know! You have the attitude and drive. You will get there,and tell us when so that we can support and congratulate you . :D
Yep, one of the best feelings in the world. :D