Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

space.gamer

Re: Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

Post by space.gamer »

Just a quick update for y'all. Bought myself 3x Baofeng UV5R's yesterday so they should be with me very soon. I'll give them a quick try and if they work for my tests, I'll let you know. I will then look at the add-ons like the AA battery case. Here's hoping the Baofeng UV5R behaves itself. :D

Just one question on the Programming Cable - again, please forgive a dull question. I'm assuming you can manually program each device without the need for a PC or the cable. I mean, from what I've seen, you can just set two devices to a frequency, lock the keys and then push-to-talk and go. I'm assuming the need for the CHIRP software is purely to avoid having to program multiple devices again and again. Is that right?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

You can do basic programming from the buttons but it's a bit slow and clunky. Some features like adding friendly channel names needs chirp. I think chirp lets you use more precise channel frequencies
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

Hey all, I thought I would update you all on how the search went for these walkie-talkies. I ended up buying 3x Baofeng UV-5R and I must say, they are working a treat so far. With the standard aerial, it worked fine for perhaps 1.5 miles near where I live, before loosing the signal as one of the testers went inside a ship. Whilst not a massive distance, it was just what we needed so relatively local comms. I'm sure we can get a greater distance too depending upon location.

I'm now going to buy an upgraded aerial and I'm sure that will make a difference too.

But fundamentally I wanted to say thanks for all the help on this topic.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:57 pm These work well, twin pack here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255743818302 ... R96eiLT4YA
I would second the use of the above antenna's, you will find they make a huge difference. Without trying to complicate things, can you confirm what frequencies you are using and did you manage to programme your handies with CHIRP? Although I would never condone the use of a UV5R on PMR as they are not type approved ;) ;) its good to see you getting on and using them. Good luck with your Foundation, it will open a world of radio for you.