Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

Post by Le Mouse »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:36 pm Does anybody else practise moving around their house in the dark?
Due to an overly sensitive bladder, I'm up at least twice a night. My bathroom is the other side of the house from my bedroom. I am religious at making sure the route is clear so I can navigate in the (almost) dark without falling over something. Outside of that route I'm a bit stuffed in the dark, mind you! :lol:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I am quite adept at moving around the house in the dark, however husband and daughter are not. I have brought the camping lanterns inside and we have the little battery PIR lights in various places so nobody has to put the lights on. Camping lanterns are used to get undressed at night and in my case dressed in a morning as my bedroom is very dark, just how I like it. We also have a few head torches, plenty of candles (used safely) a big battery bank and several smaller ones, several means of cooking without electricity . I am worried about the security risks as the CCTV will not work nor will the security lighting but the alarm system does have battery back up and the dogs either side are pretty good at warning us if people are around. We need to fit brackets to the fences to stop them being able to be lifted and I still want a gate on the drive and I need to get some cash out as we had to use the last lot unexpectedly.
Growing old disgracefully!
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

I used to but after a fall resulted in a fractured spine I learned I had osteoporosis. I didn't feel safe in the dark after that. Now I put the light on and keep a torch next to the bed in case I wake up to a power cut
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

mbbaltic wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:38 pm I used to but after a fall resulted in a fractured spine I learned I had osteoporosis. I didn't feel safe in the dark after that. Now I put the light on and keep a torch next to the bed in case I wake up to a power cut
Ouch hope your as well as can be.....

I've got a selection of these got a few years ago from home bargains dotted round the hall and landing so I can see which paw patrol vehicle I'm about to rollerskate down the stairs on......

https://www.savemoneycutcarbon.com/prod ... ltEALw_wcB

https://www.savemoneycutcarbon.com/prod ... TrEALw_wcB

https://www.savemoneycutcarbon.com/prod ... JJEALw_wcB
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

I’m ok now thanks, this was six years ago and I’ve reversed my osteoporosis since then with Vit K2 supplements, though I still have osteopenia. But then again I’m six years older so that’s not too shabby. But I still take extra care not to have avoidable falls
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

I've been using individual solar lights for years now, and use ambient light in the bathroom at night. Most rooms have solar lights, which can be used for activity for a short time, then low light. We have a motion usb light in the hall and getting some more. Multiple battery, wind up and chargeable lights.

I have a rocket stove that uses little fuel, and a stock of branches, other wood supply if needed and manual tools to cut down. It can boil a kettle so I can always have coffee. Or heat up soup or anything in a small pan. Also gas camp stoves, could do with more gas. I have flasks I can fill with boiling water, I want to get another.

I keep spare water, eldest keeps drinking it. I also save my milk jugs 4pts, and fill with water (it takes just over 4pts) to get hot water. this is for the garden, In a pinch I could use this, and have water sterilizing tablets. I also fill a flask with hot tap water for my second load of washing up later in the day.

I like to be creative, so have been making crochet blankets, shrugs, fingerless gloves and hats, I will continue to do this.

The old extension on our kitchen is bad. We were supposed to get it fixed this year, it didn't happen. In winter it's so cold. I have filled the cracks, bought insulation foil to stick to the ceiling (fire proof) to hopefully help.

We have an exercise bike in the lounge, when we get cold, 5-10 mins moment will help.

We have an induction hob, air fryer and slow cooker, and have stopped using our oven.

I have spoken to the kids, we have reduced the birthday budget and Christmas budget.

There is little we can do about it. We can always snuggle up under lots of blankets and be grateful that we have what we have. :D
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A tip for anyone walking around in the dark is to keep your weight on our back foot until you have moved your front foot forwards and found a safe space to put it. Then transfer your weight. It feels a bit odd at first and needs practice but works for moving in the dark ( & can help for too much alcohol too :lol: ) This is a technique taken from Tai Chi which is proven to reduce all falls not just those in the dark.
Most people transfer their weight to the front foot while it is still in motion which makes it hard/impossible to rescue yourself if your foot finds a surprise.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 am A tip for anyone walking around in the dark is to keep your weight on our back foot until you have moved your front foot forwards and found a safe space to put it. Then transfer your weight. It feels a bit odd at first and needs practice but works for moving in the dark ( & can help for too much alcohol too :lol: ) This is a technique taken from Tai Chi which is proven to reduce all falls not just those in the dark.
Most people transfer their weight to the front foot while it is still in motion which makes it hard/impossible to rescue yourself if your foot finds a surprise.
Should have used this technique the other night when I tried to shove the cat into the front bedroom without putting the light on (because hey I know my way around my house in the dark, I practice, I'm a prepper!!) only I'd forgotten I'd temporarily stacked the spare black framed 100w solar panels by the door... :shock: To my toe they were immovable objects. :shock: Thankfully I've only lost the nail, not broken the toe, but I sure limped around for a few days! Pride and arrogance before a literal fall.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 am A tip for anyone walking around in the dark is to keep your weight on our back foot until you have moved your front foot forwards and found a safe space to put it. Then transfer your weight. It feels a bit odd at first and needs practice but works for moving in the dark ( & can help for too much alcohol too :lol: ) This is a technique taken from Tai Chi which is proven to reduce all falls not just those in the dark.
It makes sense but all these posts about creeping about in the dark seems like an accident waiting to happen. Mind you, I nearly fell over not seeing a kerb the other day, something which put my dad in hospital.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

8 years ago when i bought my house I put in a woodburner with another space above to cook on. This was just in case....