diamond lil

Re: Help re this lantern please

Post by diamond lil »

Thank you!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Nice little find.

I buy kerosene (28 second heating oil) from a pump at my local petrol station, but any paraffin will do... BBQ lighting fluid is supposed to work.

The main thing to watch is the level of the wick in use.
I've had people turn the wick up too high "to get extra light" and then turn it up again because the flame is sooting up the glass and the light level is dropping...... One of my lamps was so coated that you couldn't tell if it was lit or not.
Turn it up until it starts to flicker and soot, then turn it back down so it just stops for maximum light
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I will tell her. We had one for a while for powercuts - and also my MIL had a caravan when my kids were young that had gas lights. They were surprisingly bright and nice to live with but I remember they were a lot of work and we kept breaking the glass mantles.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:46 pm I will tell her. We had one for a while for powercuts - and also my MIL had a caravan when my kids were young that had gas lights. They were surprisingly bright and nice to live with but I remember they were a lot of work and we kept breaking the glass mantles.

I love gas lights the trick is not to stab the gas mantle with the match or gas match :lol:

I've got a few gas lanterns.. light and lots of heat :D the sock type mantles can be had with spring clips which saves trying to tie the dental floss type string

She's a beast
IMG_20170609_202240843.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Not seen one like this before - looks really bright Andy.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Type fingerlamps or oil lamps into Ebay if you want a decorative but still practical oil lamp. I got my pair that way.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

See I would prefer these, I canny be doing with battery stuff. I could get a couple of them and let the husband play with his LED ones.. ty pseud
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

For those members interested:

https://parafinalia.biz/

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.