Car preps (or lack of)

Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: Car preps (or lack of)

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:56 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:47 am My point is that I don’t waste life doing things I know little about- and if I’m honest , that I find boring! Something like a vehicle has to be safe, and I am not competent. If you do anything well, I think you have to like doing it too.

I am rather a good bricklayer and carpenter- but my dad taught me all that as a boy. Perhaps if he had been an engineer or mechanic , I may well fix cars?
I know what you mean.
I can open a bonnet, get plastered in oil and grease, smash my knuckles, bump my head, swear a lot and three hours later have a car that, if anything, is probably less fixed then before I started...... Friends still ask me for help with cars because "You're really good with tools", different tools though.
I'm good with knives and axes, but Pinky & Perky are safe from me
You and I are VERY much like each other my friend. My neighbours come to me for all sorts. One came to me recently to check car brakes. New car. I asked him if it was under warranty. Yes it was . “ Well take it back! “.
Expertise has many angles.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:00 pm [One came to me recently to check car brakes. New car. I asked him if it was under warranty. Yes it was . “ Well take it back! “.

An old mate appeared in the garage years ago when I was at the parts counter he'd taken his new car back because the brakes "juddered and made a funny noise" new car ......

Well me being me whilst he was explaining to the service guy listened in then promptly asked if he was braking hard.... Yes on the motorway.......... Has it got abs? Erm.... I got a stare off the service guy.... They booked it in kept it a day.....

Yep it was the abs once they checked it they got him to demonstrate :shock:

Same went for the steering being funny well every Friday we all met up down the pub..... You done much tonight? Washed the car filled it up put some air in my tyres..... Next week petrol washed car air in my tyres....... Yep between 60 and 100 psi when I put my gauge on them ... Dropped to 30ish psi as per the owners book seemed to fix it :shock:

Got a paying job on Saturday if it's dry dad's car needs a minor service dad's words I'd rather put the money in your pocket as much as he gets on with the garage he'd rather help me out :) few hours few cups of tea I'm game it's 12years old so well out of Warranty he's off up the motorfactors to see Dave tomorrow to get the parts ... Yep we know the owner :lol: he said he will get new wipers told him I'll them for an extra £6 like Halfords charge :mrgreen: I won't repeat his retort :twisted:. It's got a sticky brake discovered by the mot man this week so a caliper rebuilt kit is also already ordered
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:01 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:00 pm [One came to me recently to check car brakes. New car. I asked him if it was under warranty. Yes it was . “ Well take it back! “.

An old mate appeared in the garage years ago when I was at the parts counter he'd taken his new car back because the brakes "juddered and made a funny noise" new car ......

Well me being me whilst he was explaining to the service guy listened in then promptly asked if he was braking hard.... Yes on the motorway.......... Has it got abs? Erm.... I got a stare off the service guy.... They booked it in kept it a day.....

Yep it was the abs once they checked it they got him to demonstrate :shock:

Same went for the steering being funny well every Friday we all met up down the pub..... You done much tonight? Washed the car filled it up put some air in my tyres..... Next week petrol washed car air in my tyres....... Yep between 60 and 100 psi when I put my gauge on them ... Dropped to 30ish psi as per the owners book seemed to fix it :shock:

Got a paying job on Saturday if it's dry dad's car needs a minor service dad's words I'd rather put the money in your pocket as much as he gets on with the garage he'd rather help me out :) few hours few cups of tea I'm game it's 12years old so well out of Warranty he's off up the motorfactors to see Dave tomorrow to get the parts ... Yep we know the owner :lol: he said he will get new wipers told him I'll them for an extra £6 like Halfords charge :mrgreen: I won't repeat his retort :twisted:. It's got a sticky brake discovered by the mot man this week so a caliper rebuilt kit is also already ordered
And fair play to you Andy for your expertise in that field. I genuinely take my hat off to you. However, I still have zero interest in automobile matters. :lol: :lol:

Going fishing now… :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've got a husband who can strip and rebuild a m/c with his eyes shut but cannot for the life of him put a shelf on a wall :evil: :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:40 am I've got a husband who can strip and rebuild a m/c with his eyes shut but cannot for the life of him put a shelf on a wall :evil: :lol:
He will get round to it one day you don't need to remind him every 8 months :mrgreen:

What makes me laugh is the forklift truck operation course I did covered far more maintenance both theoretical and practical than the car test :?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine