Hello!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Norma

Hello!

Post by Norma »

Hi thanks for letting me join. I’ve been worried about the future for years and I’m horrified that my fears about climate collapse are really proving to be true, only faster and worse than I’d thought. I’m not planning on any major changes but I bought a water filter bottle last year and I know people thought I was mad but it seemed to me that when the time comes that they’re needed it will be impossible to buy one. Water seems to me to be the priority and I’m intending to buy some 4 litre containers. I’ve just bought some LED hurricane lamps that use batteries and I have rechargeable batteries. I’m going to get a Nitecore battery charger thanks to what I read on here. Also, last winter I satisfactorily cooked overnight porridge on an updated version of a haybox. I’m not intending to head for the hills and live off grid but I want to be able to manage at home ok if there are disruptions to utilities. I’ve got tins of food under the stairs, probably more than I can get through before the use by dates tbh, and I’m planning on storing freeze dried veg. Other than that my only other thought is to ensure that my teeth are looked after, which in my case is expensive unfortunately, because bad teeth really cause serious problems in a crisis. Am I bonkers?
Frnc

Re: Hello!

Post by Frnc »

Norma wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 am Hi thanks for letting me join. I’ve been worried about the future for years and I’m horrified that my fears about climate collapse are really proving to be true, only faster and worse than I’d thought. I’m not planning on any major changes but I bought a water filter bottle last year and I know people thought I was mad but it seemed to me that when the time comes that they’re needed it will be impossible to buy one. Water seems to me to be the priority and I’m intending to buy some 4 litre containers. I’ve just bought some LED hurricane lamps that use batteries and I have rechargeable batteries. I’m going to get a Nitecore battery charger thanks to what I read on here. Also, last winter I satisfactorily cooked overnight porridge on an updated version of a haybox. I’m not intending to head for the hills and live off grid but I want to be able to manage at home ok if there are disruptions to utilities. I’ve got tins of food under the stairs, probably more than I can get through before the use by dates tbh, and I’m planning on storing freeze dried veg. Other than that my only other thought is to ensure that my teeth are looked after, which in my case is expensive unfortunately, because bad teeth really cause serious problems in a crisis. Am I bonkers?
Hi Norma, welcome to the forum, makes a lot of sense. I had a crown done this year on a tooth that had a semi-prmanent filling for the same reason. Make sure you keep your water covered to stop light getting to it, and change the water every 6 months to a year. I steralise the bottles first time I use them and sometimes when changing the water. Get that food eaten if it's coming to it's date! I have a load of instant mash I need to start using. Your porridge idea is good. I'm going to try cooking pasta in a flask soon. I believe you can do rice in them as well. I'm doing it to save electricity and gas. Do you have alternative water heating methods? Maybe a camping gas stove, Trangia or twig burner?
As you say, the climate crisis is the big one we know about, and it's already started. It's probably going to be much worse than people realise, maybe 8° eventually. Also of course we have economic collapse in the UK about to happen. Today I read the energy companies suggesting the government borrows to pay them £ billions to keep consumer price flat, then the state pays back the money over 15 years. No one is asking why not just stop the extractors ramping up the price in the first place.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome

Your as bonkers as the rest of us (well the media like to portray) :mrgreen:

You've got the basics right

With current NHS issues a decent first aid kit ( both bandages and OTC medication) are a must

And an emergency bottle of gin :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Welcome
Good first post .
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Norma wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 am Hi thanks for letting me join. I’ve been worried about the future for years and I’m horrified that my fears about climate collapse are really proving to be true, only faster and worse than I’d thought. I’m not planning on any major changes but I bought a water filter bottle last year and I know people thought I was mad but it seemed to me that when the time comes that they’re needed it will be impossible to buy one I bonkers?
Hi Norma, and Welcome.

You sound pretty sane to me, but that's not much of a testimonial :)
Cannned food: Nuts to the BBE dates: Good for 5 years beyond
Batteries and lamps: Very wise to stock up. Being locked down if the lights went off in Winter, would be dreadful.I recommend these: Useful as lamps and powerbank at the same time. Even include 18650 batteries
Water: Generally a very volume intensive stash, often impractical. My approach is to store as many 2L bottles of Aldi Water at 17p per bottle, + a few 5L ones. I disagree with frnc about refilling your own, as bottled water in a sealed bottle is safe for 2 years+ and filling your own risks contamination.
Beyond what you store, one Life Straw per person is a next line of defence, and to use just a tiny bit of space get some of these purification tablets. That would buy you time under most circumstances.

Now, you say 'people thought you were mad'.... Just spare a thought for not disclosing your preparedness beyond same household family. Don't be their go-to source when TSHTF, especially if they are inclined to deride you now.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi & welcome, as others say you're on the right track and I agree with keeping your preps on the down low. I also have another take on the water storage situation - I have half a dozen 25 litre containers filled from the garden hose and once a week I do a "farmers walk" with two of them to the hosepipe (~50m) empty & refill them then carry back to storage area the next day. Following week I repeat with the next two containers ad infinitum. Fresh water, cardio & strength exercise all in one.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:32 am Hi & welcome, as others say you're on the right track and I agree with keeping your preps on the down low. I also have another take on the water storage situation - I have half a dozen 25 litre containers filled from the garden hose and once a week I do a "farmers walk" with two of them to the hosepipe (~50m) empty & refill them then carry back to storage area the next day. Following week I repeat with the next two containers ad infinitum. Fresh water, cardio & strength exercise all in one.
Cripes, Andy,
Lugging 25L of water is beyond me. Nearest I manage is shifting 25L of Beer Wort from kitchen to nearby garage and lifting that onto a bench, I usually end up wearing some.
Nothing wrong with that approach, so long as you keep the containers out of sunlight and consider them potentially tainted at drinking time. Algae can grow in stored water very quickly and can be nasty.

Storing your water in the form of wine or beer is another good option :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Norma wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 am I’m intending to buy some 4 litre containers.
4 litre? Why not buy 5L bottles of drinking water from the supermarket for about £1 each. You could pay that for an empty bottle. Plus they have handy carry handles and make great Brewing Demijohns.

OMG. Just noticed that the 2L bottles of Tesco water have leapt from 17p to 60p !
Still cheap at Lidl an Aldi

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:30 am [Nearest I manage is shifting 25L of Beer Wort from kitchen to nearby garage and lifting that onto a bench, I usually end up wearing some.

Dont advertise that you'll have a queue if preppers at your door with their tongues out like the old Carling advert that got banned :lol:

Must admit I invested in a festival trolley from home bargains good job as the camp was a hundred meter walk to the fresh water tap ...
https://www.homebargains.co.uk/products ... olley.aspx

I do the 25l container method it's easier to store them stacked and if needed I have a breather Tap to suit so put on The worktop I've 75l stored that way
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine