Cooking during power outage

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pseudonym

Re: Cooking during power outage

Post by pseudonym »

The Army has moved on from hexamine tablets and is now on to a gel fuel called fire dragon.

It occasionally come up on ebay in bulk buys.

Cheapest I bought worked out to 10p per.

Best lit and used outside... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:09 pm And if going really low tech/DIY. In WW2 everyone was advised to have a bucket of dry sand in each room in case of fire.
Meanwhile the fireworks mob like pump up Hozelocks for short term fire protection when doing displays. Good for an hour or two but then need pumping again. But if you are cooking on a woodstove for an hour and all else has failed.....
The dry sand was to allow the arp warden to turn up with his special shovel

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30081595

And use the dry sand to extinguish the burning magnesium / thermite incendiary bombs :geek:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Unless you were my Dad. Aged twelve he found an unexploded incendiary bomb in the marshes. Being a curious/stupid kid, he took it home and was thankfuly caught by my grandfather before he succeeded in sawing it open in the garden shed.
If he had succeeded I dont thin'k I would be here.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:09 pm Unless you were my Dad. Aged twelve he found an unexploded incendiary bomb in the marshes. Being a curious/stupid kid, he took it home and was thankfuly caught by my grandfather before he succeeded in sawing it open in the garden shed.
If he had succeeded I dont thin'k I would be here.
:lol: was watching a documentary the other day they still crop up every now and then in lofts either stashed up there as a momento or a "unexploded " stuck somewhere within the structure was one a few years back found by a plumber ripping out a old heating system water tank it had sat in the water tank for 80 years ..

Most didn't explode but burnt very fiercely due to thermite used to ignite the magnesium..

But later in the war they added a explosive charge some to go bang after 2 minutes to discourage home owners from having a go...... And others 7 minutes later with a bigger explosive charge to kill and maim the fire fighters ....

Bit of an odd prep but I work on a former ww2 air base doing some ground work every now and then so it pays to have a good idea what's potentially under your feet when spotting for the digger driver

Lots of old bases had mustard gas stashed which had no records at all as we didn't have any officially ;) ;) my dad was on clifton moor retail park development in york when that was being built and someone dug up a jcb bucket full of shiney metal cartridges ... That was that job stopped for over a week and a very rapid evacuation
whilst the EOD guys worked their magic and made safe / decontaminated the area by removing tonnes of soil from the area ..
Screenshot_20240118-184918.png

Well that's taken it well off topic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you cook on a incendiary bomb or will it melt the pan :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Frnc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:43 am I have:

Two camping gas stoves that screw in the top of a canister. One of these is in my BOB. It fits inside a 1.1 litre pot with a small gas canister. The pot has a hanging loop and I have a titanium chain for that, in case I run out of gas. You just need 3 long sticks.

One Mini Trangia

One Trangia with gas burner. This can use the meths burner from the Mini.

One gasifier twig stove.

Two folding twig stoves. One is titanium, and this is in my BOB for extended evacuations.

My cooker hob is gas, so I can use that if electricity goes down.
I'm new, and hope this is the right way to reply.

I wonder if yourself or anyone else has tried making their own twig stoves? I've made 4 or 5 different twig stoves out of used baked bean and catering tins, including a basic rocket stove. Because of the thin metal, these would burn out after extended use, though. I use a piece of 3 or 4mm thick steel plate on the top to help get a decent simmer when cooking. Kelly Kettles are great for boiling water. I've made a couple of Trangia style stoves out of drinks cans, and they work well.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

PPrep wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:02 am
Frnc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:43 am I have:

Two camping gas stoves that screw in the top of a canister. One of these is in my BOB. It fits inside a 1.1 litre pot with a small gas canister. The pot has a hanging loop and I have a titanium chain for that, in case I run out of gas. You just need 3 long sticks.

One Mini Trangia

One Trangia with gas burner. This can use the meths burner from the Mini.

One gasifier twig stove.

Two folding twig stoves. One is titanium, and this is in my BOB for extended evacuations.

My cooker hob is gas, so I can use that if electricity goes down.
I'm new, and hope this is the right way to reply.

I wonder if yourself or anyone else has tried making their own twig stoves? I've made 4 or 5 different twig stoves out of used baked bean and catering tins, including a basic rocket stove. Because of the thin metal, these would burn out after extended use, though. I use a piece of 3 or 4mm thick steel plate on the top to help get a decent simmer when cooking. Kelly Kettles are great for boiling water. I've made a couple of Trangia style stoves out of drinks cans, and they work well.
I've never tried making one myself.