Some lessons from Covid

Medical and Healthcare
GeeGee

Re: Some lessons from Covid

Post by GeeGee »

The last post on here was 2022
So we are in May 2023 ..and have I learned some lessons .
I hope this helps you all but I also hope you don't have to
A couple of weeks ago Mr GG came down with covid ( thanks Yorks Andy for the video ..I didn't get a bell :)
He is ill anyhow but with this on top ..
His eyes hurt him so much blocked totally with sinus and nose ..no fever but awful pain in eyes ..
Rang doc who prescribed emergency antibiotics 3 lots of different ..in case his chest became infected and conjunctivitis cream ..fortunately didn't use them hes still coughing though
Poor Mr GG was down a couple weeks but he's immunocompromosed ..it came on without warning
Friday I was ok ..sat morning I couldn't move my head.. and my eyes felt like they were exploding..and blocked nose ..
Couldn't breathe at all couldn't blow nose though
All Saturday Sunday and yesterday..no sleep head killing nose bleeding and eyes ..well I've never had anything like it
Tested positive..
Conjunctivitis cream on them and the usual painkillers I slept last night was almost unconscious no sleep in a couple of nights ...
Mr GG has gone out to get me some more eye cream after I rang docs
Apparently this newer varient affects the eyes nose and head
Yes it does ...
So people get some stuff in
Maybe I should have got that bell after all Andy ..I think I need it for me !
jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:44 pm The last post on here was 2022
A couple of weeks ago Mr GG came down with covid ( thanks Yorks Andy for the video ..I didn't get a bell :)
His eyes hurt him so much blocked totally with sinus and nose ..no fever but awful pain in eyes ..
Rang doc who prescribed emergency antibiotics 3 lots of different ..in case his chest became infected and conjunctivitis cream ..fortunately didn't use them hes still coughing though
Poor Mr GG was down a couple weeks but he's immunocompromosed ..it came on without warning
Friday I was ok ..sat morning I couldn't move my head.. and my eyes felt like they were exploding..and blocked nose ..
All Saturday Sunday and yesterday..no sleep head killing nose bleeding and eyes ..well I've never had anything like it
Tested positive..
Conjunctivitis cream on them and the usual painkillers I slept last night was almost unconscious no sleep in a couple of nights ...
Yes it does ...
Thanks for the warning GeeGee. Bad enough with the illness Mr G is dealing with. :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

SamVimes wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:20 pm So I finally had a visit from covid. Survived unscathed albeit with an residual cough and increased tiredness. It mostly presented as a heavy cold. Cold and flu tablets alongside aspirin to combat the blood clot risk (reduced with vaccination but still increased https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61010090 )
Through work I get regularly exposed to a multitude of nasties but don't get ill so I thought I had a pretty good immune system. However it took me three weeks to shift the virus. Current thinking is that after day 10 you aren't infectious anymore which seems odd to me. I managed to protect my family by wearing FFP3 non valved masks all day and only taking it off in my "dirty" room. These don't last more than a few hours before they start to break down/clog with moisture so I changed them twice a day. Regular touch point cleaning may also have helped.
So what did I learn?
Regular hand washing and sanitiser use ruins your hands. I was probably excessive in this but my priority was containment. They were cracked to the point of bleeding. Moisturiser helped but I could have prevented this by having a supply of nitrile gloves to use for each nose blow etc.

It's all very well having a "dirty" room and sleeping with the window open but cold air sinks and carries the contents of your room under the door so draught excluders may be useful.

Not being able to taste anything is very frustrating. I could have eaten dog food or a sausage inna bun and not known any different.

Although there was no legal requirement to isolate, I chose to. Naturally this happened the day before I was due to do the food shop. Thankfully Like many here, I have a bit stashed for a rainy day.

Having seen life threatening/death from covid up close many times I would say that, despite vaccination there was a certain degree of "are my affairs in order?" when that second line appeared on the test.
Nitrile gloves are a must have. I already had a box when pandemic happened, good job as the price went through the roof. Also E45 or Zero Cream.

You can't stop people in your house getting it. They might not get it. Or they might get it before you realise you have it. Of course you did right in trying to not spread it.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:44 pm The last post on here was 2022
Tested positive..
Yes it does ...
Mines dual purpose :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20230502-215348.png

Just tried it and got told to sod off :roll: :lol:

Just wondering would one of those steam inhalers work with some methol crystals to decongest the sinuses / tear ducts
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Andy you're a star ..nearly choked with a coughing fit then laughing at that..

Got one but with my eyes being so bad it irritated them
Got one of those teapot thingies with a spout to stick up nostril and warm water and some solution in it
I look a bonny bugger I must say sunken sore eyes red raw nose ..the cat is avoiding me ..
Mr GG said I was green the other day almost reptilian
He got a muffled sod off too !
My GP said that this varient is doing its rounds ..
It can go do it elsewhere!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GeeGee :( so this is Arcturus. What a nightmare for you both. I hope that you posting yesterday means that you feel you've stabilised, even though it was the very ill MrGeeGee that had to go out to get your meds.

Thanks for the heads up - if it can spread to you, it can spread to anyone. I'll check otc meds for conjunctivitis.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Arzosah wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:29 am GeeGee :( so this is Arcturus. What a nightmare for you both. I hope that you posting yesterday means that you feel you've stabilised, even though it was the very ill MrGeeGee that had to go out to get your meds.

Thanks for the heads up - if it can spread to you, it can spread to anyone. I'll check otc meds for conjunctivitis.
I'm better than I was ..but I swim daily I go to abs and circuits
My daily slot to keep healthy in body and mind ...and its flattened me ...its knocked me for six ..no energy ..and the eye pain ..Good grief ..im.supppsed to be healthy
I can see why anyone who is ill just gives up I wanted to
Its something we all get differently isnt it ..I've no idea how Mr GG has got through any of this hes so poorly anyhow
Just be prepared if it comes knocking ..I know some people sail through it ..and others ..well ...let's just hope the next mutation takes a while ...
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

I have had it 3 times by all accounts . A relative worked in a place where they make vaccine and can test for it . I had a basic test and it showed 3 different antibodies ( I think that's what it showed anyway ) . I have had no vaccine or booster , nor will I , just my decision and choice , but I am lucky as it doesn't do anything to me . I empathize with those who suffer though , hope you all get well soon .
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

O.M.G.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1655 ... 03395.html

Thread by a pathologist. It is the witness statement she just gave to the Covid inquiry. Very critical of the way the vaccines were rushed out, skipping most of the usual testing and seeming to ignore dangerous side effects.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

She also has some interesting stuff to say about the lockdowns. Basically they are used because it was thought the virus spreads through close contact. But she says it was later discovered it can travel long distances through the air, eg from a sick person in a building, to people outside or in other buildings. Obviously lockdown can't prevent that.