winter..... and batteries...

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

winter..... and batteries...

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Well the old jalopy has been sluggish cranking past couple of weeks cold on Friday really highlighted this .... Saturday mid morning it was a bit groggy

And out with the batter tester yesterday..
IMG_20191130_173413035.jpg
Didn't leave me stranded but guessing if I hadn't replaced it, it would have done shortly
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

Squirrelcatcher

Re: winter..... and batteries...

Post by Squirrelcatcher » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:55 am

Yes, mine has recently needed convincing a second time before staring. Maybe I need to replace.
However - I was also thinking, is it partly down to the cold and would there be any way in which you could attach a small slave battery as a "keep warm and alive" type.
I bow to your greater knowledge in this area.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:12 am

Id get the battery tested (the tester I have cost me £25... I distrust places who offer "free" battery tests

If you have a good local independent garage go ask them to test it .. that unit above also tests cranking and the charge system

That bad winter 9 years back pushing -15 and the last car started no issue..

You can get little lithium jump packs but they push the price of a new battery

If your car's a diesel check it's glow plug system .. don't think it's cold enough yet for diesel to "wax"

unsure

Post by unsure » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:16 pm

ive had to replace both of mine today . it was starting to crank over a bit slower than normal .
like andy , i ran a test and it came back replace on both of them . they were 6 years old and considered cheap , as in not excide and for the price of 2 new ones , i was`nt going to risk it .
as for diesel waxing , not heard of that for years , most companies [ bp texaco ect ] only supply winter diesel with More addatives .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .

jansman

Post by jansman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 pm

I don't know about additives in diesel now,but I can remember 2010 when truck drivers were lighting fires when their tanks froze,and the deisel waxed.Saw it first hand up and down the A47 when I was delivering.I made sure I used a petrol van( Rascal) and not a diesel that week.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 pm

We had issues with the forklifts at work waxing nowt a good glug of unleaded couldn't solve .