Keeping unfrozen water in the car

Logistics and Transport
peejay

Keeping unfrozen water in the car

Post by peejay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:24 pm

What's the consensus on keeping something like 2L or 5L bottles of water in a liquid state in the car boot during a significant cold snap? Would storing it in a closed cool-box be sufficient d'ya think? If it got stupidly cold I could even always throw a single hand-warmer in there but I think we'd be in dire straits in the (Midlands) UK if things got that cold?

Just wanting to ensure I have bases covered in the car in case of getting caught away from home which, to be fair, isn't highly likely for me as I don't travel too much without a caravan on the back anyway but I'm happier being prepared...

jansman

Re: Keeping unfrozen water in the car

Post by jansman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 pm

I keep water in the car.This time of year I empty a fifth out to allow for freezing.However,it's never happened yet.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Panther

Post by Panther » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm

I always keep a 2 litre bottle of water in the boot of the car. So far it hasn't frozen even in the coldest of weathers.
Well, that's done it; it's bound to happen now I've said that. :!: ;)

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm

jansman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 pm
I keep water in the car.This time of year I empty a fifth out to allow for freezing.However,it's never happened yet.
Same here.
The roads are pretty bad and if you do end up getting stuck its hard to justify your reason for being on the roads as 'vegan mince for a feckin' princess'.

peejay

Post by peejay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks all, I've done the same in the past to no ill effects but assumed I got lucky. Part-full bottle it is then...

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 pm

:!: I carry a 5l bottle cars big enough it fits under the front passenger seat from the back (the seat and floor bracing stops it coming forward.. at the front there is a high visibility cost and from the back a blanket... And a blower duct if cold I usually blow it into the footwell to keep my toes warm
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

peejay

Post by peejay » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 am

I just remembered what it was that was on my mind about it in the first place - last winter I had a Water-to-Go bottle half-full in the cup holder & it froze, knackering the filter. Obviously a much smaller volume of water is easier to freeze but I knew there was a reason it was on my mind...

grenfell

Post by grenfell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:30 am

I had an old van on the drive for several years and had left a few things in it. One was a can of tango which at some point had frozen solid and split the can. Obviously it had then leaked when it thawed but then over the years had then evaporated. That had been in an aluminium mess tin and the acid and sugar from the tango had corrroded the tin a bit. Which if nothing else is a lesson to check things more often but also that it's a good idea to put any liquid in another container , even if it's only a bucket , just in case of leakage.