Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
GeeGee

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by GeeGee »

Fitted the solar light from lidl ( thanks Yorkshire Andy ) made sure the padlocks on the sheds and summer house were changed and keys all secure
Locked up the ladders with a new chain
Blackout blinds and curtains up
But ..
Struggling with door to door salespeople at moment
Loads of them ...
Have the standard bog off dont knock signs and cctv signs have one that says dont want to buy anything change anything have religious instruction so please do one
This latest one who nearly broke the door down banging said immediately
I'm not selling im offering a service ..after hes obviously read the many get lost signs and then when I told him to get lost he became loud and obnoxious 🙄
Unfortunatly front garden is accessible off the street from driveway to front door....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:52 pm Fitted the solar light from lidl ( thanks Yorkshire Andy ) made sure the padlocks on the sheds and summer house were changed and keys all secure
Locked up the ladders with a new chain
Blackout blinds and curtains up
But ..
Struggling with door to door salespeople at moment
Loads of them ...
Have the standard bog off dont knock signs and cctv signs have one that says dont want to buy anything change anything have religious instruction so please do one
This latest one who nearly broke the door down banging said immediately
I'm not selling im offering a service ..after hes obviously read the many get lost signs and then when I told him to get lost he became loud and obnoxious 🙄
Unfortunatly front garden is accessible off the street from driveway to front door....

Your welcome 😁

One bonus of being in a council house most avoid ours :lol:

I have a mate who when he still lived at home with his mum and dad answered the door to a uPVC salesman as he went to shut the door the salesman put his foot in the door so he couldn't shut it.... Without any warning my mate flung the door open and erm defended himself with force...... In the fraccas a neighbour rung 999 Now normally this would get a panda car in about a week :lol: but his father is in the police force ... 999 call disturbance at a officers home address you can guess the response the street was full of cars double quick
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:43 pm I have a mate who when he still lived at home with his mum and dad answered the door to a uPVC salesman as he went to shut the door the salesman put his foot in the door so he couldn't shut it.... Without any warning my mate flung the door open and erm defended himself with force...... In the fraccas a neighbour rung 999 Now normally this would get a panda car in about a week :lol: but his father is in the police force ... 999 call disturbance at a officers home address you can guess the response the street was full of cars double quick
A broken foot would have been an understandable and justifiable 'accident' :D Hard to believe any salesman would be so stupid.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:51 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:43 pm I have a mate who when he still lived at home with his mum and dad answered the door to a uPVC salesman as he went to shut the door the salesman put his foot in the door so he couldn't shut it.... Without any warning my mate flung the door open and erm defended himself with force...... In the fraccas a neighbour rung 999 Now normally this would get a panda car in about a week :lol: but his father is in the police force ... 999 call disturbance at a officers home address you can guess the response the street was full of cars double quick
A broken foot would have been an understandable and justifiable 'accident' :D Hard to believe any salesman would be so stupid.

It was along the lines of I want to speak to your parents he said no (they were at work)

I've had some in the past that won't take no for an answer though fortunately going into "industrial engineer mode" :lol: was enough to make them decide not to hang about

My dad was funny on a few occasions in the past he'd stand there and try to sell them silicon / fixings / trims if they stopped him in the supermarket they used to ambush you leaving ...

And the guy trying to sell East Yorkshire glazing which was abbreviated to EYG or as it was known in the trade as East Yorkshire Gales due to the poor quality / fitters didn't like it ...

A door chain / bar is always a wise choice especially if there's a knock at the door and your not expecting someone..

We generally just sling the chain on if we are home no one's sneaking in the rattle and bang as it pulls tight is audible right through the house ...

And at night it's another deterrent against lock snapping to hold the door secure
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I don't have a chain but the top half is window so I can see who it is. Because of the glass, we lock the mortice lock at night, as the Yale is no use if someone puts their hand through.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Anyone have a lock on their bedroom door? There were none in my house, but I fitted a mortice lock on mine when I got lodgers. I lock it if I'm out for a while, don't bother for just nipping to the shop.
But I was thinking, if we ever got burgled at night, might not be a bad idea to lock it at night. Or even in the daytime, if I had music on and didn't hear them. Maybe the music would deter them, I don't know. Like now it's dark already, just me in. Front door has glass and isn't moticed locked. Anyone could get in, in seconds. I lock the front door mortice lock about 9pm, assuming lodgers are probably in. If not, they can re-lock it if they come in later. Partly it's because I watch TV in the dark. Burglars might think house is empty. Although I do put a lamp on downstairs when it's dark.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

locks on bedroom doors are a bad idea we have one on our bedroom that houses our gun room but it is not for sleeping in so to speak , never lock a bedroom door at night think on it like this have you ever been in a house fire or a training exercise , i have and i can tell you even with unlocked doors it is hard to find people in time a locked door inside the house well it is a death trap and on top of that if you take the key out and put it on the side try finding it in a smoke filled room .

We have just started bulking up security on our house but i would never lock a bedroom door , it is a little like our new doors and locks when the police did a check on our house the police office said you went boots and braces on the windows and doors our door is hated by police as to get in they struggle when doing raids , but we have a side door again top notch but i have just put window bars on the side garage porch entry door and that is just to stop anyone thinking come in that way get round inside the porch no one can see while they try and break in the backdoor it was a weak point .

just becareful when locking yourself in make sure you know where the keys are at all times for mortice locks , if you do go for a lock on the bedroom i would not put anything other than a yale
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:04 am locks on bedroom doors are a bad idea we have one on our bedroom that houses our gun room but it is not for sleeping in so to speak , never lock a bedroom door at night think on it like this have you ever been in a house fire or a training exercise , i have and i can tell you even with unlocked doors it is hard to find people in time a locked door inside the house well it is a death trap and on top of that if you take the key out and put it on the side try finding it in a smoke filled room .

We have just started bulking up security on our house but i would never lock a bedroom door , it is a little like our new doors and locks when the police did a check on our house the police office said you went boots and braces on the windows and doors our door is hated by police as to get in they struggle when doing raids , but we have a side door again top notch but i have just put window bars on the side garage porch entry door and that is just to stop anyone thinking come in that way get round inside the porch no one can see while they try and break in the backdoor it was a weak point .

just becareful when locking yourself in make sure you know where the keys are at all times for mortice locks , if you do go for a lock on the bedroom i would not put anything other than a yale
All good points. I do leave the key in if I lock it. It's on a keyring with my other keys. I don't always lock it, but I keep my keys there anyway, with the bedroom key in, but not locked. I agree that there is some danger from the point of view that no one could get in to check I was up and out. I should have thought of that because I once had to enter student's rooms with a master key when I was a student, doing volunteer fire duty, when the alarm was going off. One or two were ignoring the alarm. This was after exams when pissed up idiots would think it amusing to set the alarms off. I had to go into any rooms that had doors shut and were locked.
So maybe I won't do it unless I'm on my own in the house, in which case no one could rescue me anyway, assuming the fire brigade could get in through the window.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:11 am
steptoe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:04 am locks on bedroom doors are a bad idea we have one on our bedroom that houses our gun room but it is not for sleeping in so to speak , never lock a bedroom door at night think on it like this have you ever been in a house fire or a training exercise , i have and i can tell you even with unlocked doors it is hard to find people in time a locked door inside the house well it is a death trap and on top of that if you take the key out and put it on the side try finding it in a smoke filled room .

All good points. I do leave the key in if I lock it. It's on a keyring with my other keys. I don't always lock it, but I keep my keys there anyway, with the bedroom key in, but not locked. I agree that there is some danger from the point of view that no one could get in to check I was up and out. I should have thought of that because I once had to enter student's rooms with a master key when I was a student, doing volunteer fire duty, when the alarm was going off. One or two were ignoring the alarm. This was after exams when pissed up idiots would think it amusing to set the alarms off. I had to go into any rooms that had doors shut and were locked.
So maybe I won't do it unless I'm on my own in the house, in which case no one could rescue me anyway, assuming the fire brigade could get in through the window.
Seconding the other comments. Locks on an internal bedroom doors are a no-no.
I understand that you might have a wish to deter theft by your tenants, but if you don't trust them don't have them.
If you were snuggled down in your locked room, tv on, then billy burglar would still have the rest of your home at his mercy. He could attack your internal door making as much noise as he wanted to, with you, his only obstacle, or he could thank you for keeping out of his way as he does the rest of your home. Plus fire, or a personal medical emergency could see you a goner. Weigh up the risks. Someone leaving an iron or stove compared to getting burgled at the time your bedroom is locked.

Maybe think of other fortifications first. Better locks? External lights and camera? Alarm box? A few door buzzers from the pound shop?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:11 am

Seconding the other comments. Locks on an internal bedroom doors are a no-no.
I understand that you might have a wish to deter theft by your tenants, but if you don't trust them don't have them.
If you were snuggled down in your locked room, tv on, then billy burglar would still have the rest of your home at his mercy. He could attack your internal door making as much noise as he wanted to, with you, his only obstacle, or he could thank you for keeping out of his way as he does the rest of your home. Plus fire, or a personal medical emergency could see you a goner. Weigh up the risks. Someone leaving an iron or stove compared to getting burgled at the time your bedroom is locked.

Maybe think of other fortifications first. Better locks? External lights and camera? Alarm box? A few door buzzers from the pound shop?
I do trust the lodgers. Locking my bedroom door at night occasionally has nothing to do with them. It's to do with intruders. I agree there's a fire risk. I used to only ever do it if I was on my own in the house, late, with my light off and TV on. Yes they could burgle the rest of the house. Yes they could try to attack my door. Recently I have locked it a few times, but I can see the fire angle.
I do mortice lock the front door at night, so it's pretty secure. I guess it's possible a lodger could forget to lock the back door, but this has never happened to my knowledge.
So, I'll probably go back to only doing it on the rare occasion I'm the only one in.