Fire Escape Ladder

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Medusa

Fire Escape Ladder

Post by Medusa »

I've been considering my H & S preps recently and although we have mains fitted smoke alarms we do not have a fire blanket in the kitchen nor a fire extinguisher in the car and I need to rectify this asap. I came across this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Escape-La ... ire+ladder and wondered if anyone else has one or can recommend one. Obviously to only be used if the stairs were on fire blocking escape via front and back doors.
Growing old disgracefully!
munchh

Re: Fire Escape Ladder

Post by munchh »

I have one, £5 at a bootsale, was the only reason i bought it, but works with my windows although my kids wouldnt get down it, as the metal is not great to hold onto and once on it the bottom of the ladder is banging on the downstairs windows, but i would get down it .

tha fact is i have a flat roof porch both front and back, so can climb out onto that and then down on the wheelie bins, so the ladder would be absolute last resort
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

If your going to use one of these make sure that whatever it's fastened to will support the load, many window sills etc won't take that sort of load.
Many years ago we were prepping/testing abseiing from the roofs of various buildings, it was supprisingly difficult to find a strongpoint to attach to on many, one building had a lovely flat roof about half way up, the only entry to it was via a window of the stationary room, we tried all ways to fix the rope, in the end we came up with a metal bar across the inside of the window (wall to wall) we asked the architect just to be safe, then we found out the wall itself wasn't strong enough, we'd had pulled the bar through it if we'd tried it. And this a great big office block.
Makes me wonder how strong the whole thing this is if a bar will pull through the outside wall that easy.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Did a job at a large house in the Cotswolds some time ago and I had to remove a rope ladder that was fixed for fire escape , not replace just remove , the new owners didn't think a fire escape ladder made any sense. Anyway the ladder was attached to the radiator , an old and big cast iron job that would easily have taken the weight. Having no use for it myself I stuck the ladder on e bay .
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

sniper 55 wrote:If your going to use one of these make sure that whatever it's fastened to will support the load, many window sills etc won't take that sort of load.
Many years ago we were prepping/testing abseiing from the roofs of various buildings, it was supprisingly difficult to find a strongpoint to attach to on many, one building had a lovely flat roof about half way up, the only entry to it was via a window of the stationary room, we tried all ways to fix the rope, in the end we came up with a metal bar across the inside of the window (wall to wall) we asked the architect just to be safe, then we found out the wall itself wasn't strong enough, we'd had pulled the bar through it if we'd tried it. And this a great big office block.
Makes me wonder how strong the whole thing this is if a bar will pull through the outside wall that easy.
That is a bit worrying and something for me to consider. Fire blanket and extinguisher for the car first, the ladder can go on my wish list.
Growing old disgracefully!
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

This is something I need too, but the ones on Amazon would not fit on my wide window sills. Anyone have any ideas?
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sethorly wrote:This is something I need too, but the ones on Amazon would not fit on my wide window sills. Anyone have any ideas?
Lash an iron bar across the top to make it wider maybe.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I'll be throwing a mattress out the window.

A ladder would just rip the window, frame and surrounding wood out, falling to land on me as I cry in a heap on the floor below. :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote:
sethorly wrote:This is something I need too, but the ones on Amazon would not fit on my wide window sills. Anyone have any ideas?
How about fixing it to the floor joists with coach screws , if you're heavy enough to rip those out there's probably a good chance you're going to be too fat to fit through the window anyway.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:
Deeps wrote:
How about fixing it to the floor joists with coach screws , if you're heavy enough to rip those out there's probably a good chance you're going to be too fat to fit through the window anyway.
I was thinking of a scaffie bar or the like, just something that's going to give the extra width (oh err) to bridge whatever gap is needed.