road Trailer lighting... law...?

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Re: road Trailer lighting... law...?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

got the panels back in tonight... having been baked in the workshop by the calor heater for about 5 hours (was down to the t-shirt in there whilst it sleeted outside

before i fitted the wooden panels i trimmed the angle with 10 mm "mastic on a roll" to help keep water out

eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-32mm5m-Masti ... B0036KG89I

then fitted the wood and nipped up the nuts and bolts...

need to add some down the angle tomorrow to pull the wood snug to the angle iron

then lightly sand the boards again and give a finishing coat of varnish

then to ponder the lid :? which is why ive left the angle bar stubs sticking up at the top
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Do any of the panels open or is the only way to load/unload by lifting all the way over the top?

How high is the trailer BTW ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The panels are fixed for both weather proofing and load security.... The back tail flap drops I can slide the large treasure chest boxes in via that and lighter stuff via the top

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

like thus :)

I dont plan on having much heavy stuff in there its a 400kg MGW trailer (unbraked) so trailer ULW was 60kg im factoring in my build been about + 40kg (will weigh it once finished and de-rate my loading accordingly (know a man with a weigh bridge ;) which gives me about 300kg payload

heaviest item i will load will be the tent which is 40.3kg according to vango

and stove 8.9kg / R907 gas bottle... 3.7kg

few deckchairs camp mat / bed's sleeping bags and pillows and electric hook up lead

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ta mate.

Looking good so far
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well i decided the side lighting could be better and lots of head scratching hit me walking down the yard at work past a parked up HGV at 7am the other morning.. think the driver must have though i had lost the plot.....

so 2 LED running lights ordered and fitted

mounted high at the rear corner where it can be seen rather than low down when a driver cant see it out of his window... legal max hight is 2300 mm from the ground so im well within

The timber has now had 3 coats of marine varnish and a week to cure...

so on with the reflective tape...

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got the lid made

The most expensive bit so far £12 for the marine ply cut to size... £30 for the aluminium C section trim

Got the lid on its hinges on it yesterday. Cut the top stubs off and dogs welded in place in the corners for the rubber seal which I've ordered to make the top waterproof and some lockable pull down catches on order

Why is is the little finishing bits cost more than the rest of the build :shock:
Last edited by Yorkshire Andy on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Good job, as usual :)
I can see there are hooks for fastening a cover but have you considered lashing points for when you want to carry stuff on the top?
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I have thought about it but the lid would need extra reinforcing I'm fitting the lid with wing nuts with r clips ad a fail safe so I can remove the lid easily if I want to Cary long stuff I've also got a roof rack to fit the car :) I've made it bigger than I need as well for a bit of flexibility

I need to spec some gas struts next for ease of opening need a ride to a scrap yard to get some.

I also got a new hitchlock

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

I used a pair of Range Rover gas struts originally which was about right even with two bikes on the lid. After the refurb I fitted the two old tailgate struts off my Vivaro. Huge overkill, I had to hang on the lid to bring it down, and I'm heavier than average :) It now works fine with the single strut even with the roof box loaded.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.